SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
OhBlahDah
OhBlahDah is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Wrench Single Mom FAILS Smog Check HELP!

Disclaimer: I am clueless and always broke.

My 2000 SL2 failed the Calif. smog test, but only on the test for NO at lower speed (15 mph). However, it was over twice the maximum!

I just changed the oil and filter, but I am right near 100,000 miles. I guess it's time for a tune-up, which I'm not sure I can afford and still buy gas and groceries (single mom with a mortgage).

Can I just change spark plugs? Can I add something to the gas tank?

How much should a tune-up cost?

Thanks for any answers you might throw my way. I am late on registering the car, and the penalty goes up again tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhBlahDah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhBlahDah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhBlahDah is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Single Mom FAILS Smog Check HELP!

You obviously need to do a tune up.....if it is not inspected or registered....maybe you should park it and find other ways of getting around until you get more financally secure.....I may be wrong....but if it is not registered..you are driving illegally?

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Since you live in Ca, the state has several programs to help people keep cars within the smog limits. Call the DMV and tell them the situation and they may have a very low cost, or no cost remedy for you.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

www.smogcheck.ca.gov

Go down the middle column (under the big blue breathe easier banner) to "Need financial help with your smog check repairs?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
OhBlahDah
OhBlahDah is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Happy ending?

Thanks for the helpful hints -- especially the one to NOT DRIVE the car. Geez. You may not be familiar with the L.A. area?

Driving illegally? Have you ever driven over the speed limit? That's illegal, too, but you do what you gotta do to get to work to pay the bills and feed the kid.

I tried Pep Boys, but they said they could not do the work -- needed a dealer. My next problem was that they have closed down all my local Saturn dealers! I had to drive out to Ontario Saturn (very nice folks out there and we all watched World Cup Soccer together on their plasma screen).

$400 in repairs (on the dreaded charge card) later, the smog machine computer would not work. Geez. This thing started to feel cursed. Had to go back the next Saturday and it failed. Tech did some sort of tweaking and it passed.

I needed a new O2 Sensor, Spark Plugs, and got the Carburetor cleaned. I don't know what tweaking worked, but there was PRAYER involved on my part after the second failure.

I got to see all the IONS and VUES and RELAYS being sold. Also saw a red SKY that had not been picked up yet. I think I'll wait a few years and try the AURA hybrid they are talking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhBlahDah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhBlahDah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhBlahDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Happy ending?

Post the NUMBERS.

Nobody can help you unless you post the smog NUMBERS. By the way, you don't have a carburetor.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I can promise that this site will help you, if you're willing to spend a little money on tools and you're willing to get dirty. You wouldn't be the first woman to work on a car. There are a few on here. The tools would pay for themselves the first time you used them. Post the numbers.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBlahDah

$400 in repairs (on the dreaded charge card) later, the smog machine computer would not work. Geez. This thing started to feel cursed. Had to go back the next Saturday and it failed. Tech did some sort of tweaking and it passed.
You guys need to slow down and actually READ what she is saying. The car is fixed, passed smog and it was put on her charge card. Numbers are irrelevant at this point. Her problem is solved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I first read the topic of this thread and thought - whoa, they're smog testing single moms now? I thought they only smog tested cars....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
rectifryer
rectifryer is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
I first read the topic of this thread and thought - whoa, they're smog testing single moms now? I thought they only smog tested cars....

haha lol

aww man this thread is done for! I know some single moms that need some smog testing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rectifryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rectifryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rectifryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifryer
aww man this thread is done for! I know some single moms that need some smog testing
Well, yeah, you'd expect that in South Dakota!

[ducking to avoid old ECTS thrown at me]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
rectifryer
rectifryer is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1998 SL2

haha if you only knew.
this place is cR4z13!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rectifryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rectifryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rectifryer is offline   Reply With Quote