SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
ADickinson88@gm
ADickinson88@gm is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Wrench SW Front Brakes 97 or 98?

Im working on a 97 or 98 sw2 and was replacing the front pads, unforntaly now i need to replace the calipers ffor the bolts holding them on have broken and are now stuck inside of the caliper... I have got most of the parts but not sure if i have everything i need? Anyone have some diagrams or a few step by steps so that i can replace the front brakes right and safety? Im in Conway,NH area if theres anyone out there that could help me with the job! Im more hands on then words so pictures help greatly!

Regrads Adam

Sw2 sitting on blocks... =\

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ADickinson88@gm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ADickinson88@gm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ADickinson88@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Re: SW Front Brakes 97 or 98?

Well, ADickinson88@gm. Okay now the pins are stuck in caliper mounting bracket, I've had this happen to cars that i work on, and all my cars when i do my first brake job on them.

What i do is take the bracket off the car and put it in a vice(all the ones i have done have enough to put vice grips on) heat the bracket up with a propane torch, it may take a little time, but you need to get it really hot.

Once you can start to twist the pin with out slipping, just keep working it, it will come out.

After you get the pin out, let it cool, take a drill bit that is the same size and ream the hole out. It does work. I have done it many times.

When you reassmble the brakes make sure to use caliper grease on the new pins or this will happen every time you have to do your brakes.

What i do is use caliper grease on the pins and never seize on the threads, works great for me in the salt belt here in vermont.

You can PM me if you would like.

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
99 sc2m mine
94 sl2m my sons
10 ford Taurus with paddle shift(cool)
99 sw2a converted to manuel
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
ADickinson88@gm
ADickinson88@gm is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

So i got everything replaced the whole brake system on the front the only issue i am having now is attaching the brake line to the caliper, i must be placing washers wrong or somthing because i cant get fuild into the brand new Capliers i just put on. Maybe im placing the 2 copper washers wrong?? I only used one. So that may be my issue? Anyone have a Picture??? Or step by steps?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ADickinson88@gm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ADickinson88@gm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ADickinson88@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

2 copper washers per side. One on each side of the hose block and the bolt goes through both and into the caliper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote