SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
MicheleS
Junior Member
MicheleS is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10
Wrench electrical and DVD problems

Hi,
I just purchased a 2005 relay (20,000 miles) a few weeks ago. My mechanic looked at it and said it was sound and the dealer gave me the prior owner's phone # to contact. He told me that he didn't have any problems w/ it other than the fact that it guzzles gas...

So... ~2 days after I bought it, I had a problem where the power door wouldn't open. A day or 2 later, when I put it into park, the doors didn't unlock. This has happened a few more times but has been intermittant at most. One evening it chimed on and on without any explanation and stopped only when I turned off the car and removed the key. This hasn't happened again. Finally, today, it wouldn't accept a DVD and when it finally did, it wouldn't spit it back out. I went outside over lunch and it spit out the DVD like nothing was wrong and would take and play one normally!!

I feel like I am going nuts. My DH can't replicate any of this and when I called saturn they told me that they may (or may not) be able to find anything wrong...

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here has had random electrical problems or DVD problems? If so, was saturn able to address the issues?

Knowing that the relay is not perfect, we chose to buy one because of the price (and the fact that we had done our homework and this particular one seemed OK)... I love, love, love saturn as a company (we've had 2 other cars by them) but find mysself really, really frustrated...

Any suggestions or BTDT!
Michele

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MicheleS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MicheleS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MicheleS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
4littlemonkeys
Member
4littlemonkeys is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 264

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

You bought a 2005...there have been lists of problems with these. Some are fine but others have lists of problems.

The door lock...there was a tech bulletin about the locks a while back but I don't remember what the exact issue was. I know they had to apply the bulletin to my van. I would ask them about it...it was their own "recall". You might want to also look at the "computer" settings on the dash because that is a feature you can easily change...maybe somebody changed it by accident.

I have had the DVD refuse some DVDs but not on a regular basis so I haven't worried about it. I suspect my problem was that there was a defect or something with the actual DVD.

I don't know if I've had random electrical problems but I had the flickering lights which was the alternator, I have a door that doesn't like to close (not fixed) and that's all I can think of in an electrical kind of a way.

I'm surprised owner 1 called it a gas guzzler...that's the one thing I think is pretty good about the relay. I thought we did well with gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4littlemonkeys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4littlemonkeys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4littlemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
TexJer78
Member
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road
 
TexJer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 347
 

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleS View Post
Hi,
I just purchased a 2005 relay (20,000 miles) a few weeks ago. My mechanic looked at it and said it was sound and the dealer gave me the prior owner's phone # to contact. He told me that he didn't have any problems w/ it other than the fact that it guzzles gas...

So... ~2 days after I bought it, I had a problem where the power door wouldn't open. A day or 2 later, when I put it into park, the doors didn't unlock. This has happened a few more times but has been intermittant at most. One evening it chimed on and on without any explanation and stopped only when I turned off the car and removed the key. This hasn't happened again. Finally, today, it wouldn't accept a DVD and when it finally did, it wouldn't spit it back out. I went outside over lunch and it spit out the DVD like nothing was wrong and would take and play one normally!!

I feel like I am going nuts. My DH can't replicate any of this and when I called saturn they told me that they may (or may not) be able to find anything wrong...

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here has had random electrical problems or DVD problems? If so, was saturn able to address the issues?

Knowing that the relay is not perfect, we chose to buy one because of the price (and the fact that we had done our homework and this particular one seemed OK)... I love, love, love saturn as a company (we've had 2 other cars by them) but find mysself really, really frustrated...



Any suggestions or BTDT!
Michele
I have a 2006 Relay and had the exact same problems. For the automatic door, when we took it in, the tech said there was something wrong with the motor (they replaced that), and the sensor (they replaced that). Haven't had to many problems with the DVD system, but occasionally it will not take an old DVD. Try getting one of the disc DVD cleaners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TexJer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TexJer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TexJer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
MicheleS
Junior Member
MicheleS is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexJer78 View Post
I have a 2006 Relay and had the exact same problems. For the automatic door, when we took it in, the tech said there was something wrong with the motor (they replaced that), and the sensor (they replaced that). Haven't had to many problems with the DVD system, but occasionally it will not take an old DVD. Try getting one of the disc DVD cleaners.
Have the issues gotten worse over time in your Relay? If not, mine aren't bad enough for me to worry much about as long as they don't get more frequent. I am planning to take it in Tuesday to see if there's something *really* wrong with the electrical system (I don't want to get stranded!!!) but don't plan to make a HUGE deal out of this if it stays intermittant.
Thanks! Michele

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MicheleS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MicheleS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MicheleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
TexJer78
Member
TexJer78 is on a distinguished road
 
TexJer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 347
 

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleS View Post
Have the issues gotten worse over time in your Relay? If not, mine aren't bad enough for me to worry much about as long as they don't get more frequent. I am planning to take it in Tuesday to see if there's something *really* wrong with the electrical system (I don't want to get stranded!!!) but don't plan to make a HUGE deal out of this if it stays intermittant.
Thanks! Michele

No, after they did the fix, we haven't had any problems. The other day I thought the automatic door was malfunctioning again, but my son had dropped some cheerios and they got down in the track, so it was working correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TexJer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TexJer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TexJer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
tableforSeven
Member
tableforSeven is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 105
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

I've had a few interesting electrical glitches with my 2005 Relay 2 over the years. The only one that was bad/frequent enough for me to take it in was the radio -- it would only work when it wanted to....that was a few months after I got it - the dealer replaced it.
I've had a few oddities with the sliding door too -- every once in a while it will re-open on it's own. But it's not a big enough deal to take in to get checked...and it's not getting 'worse'. I've also had the DVD player act-up a few times...like you, it held onto a DVD for a few hours - then spit it out and was fine again. Again - it's a rare - so I'm not going to stress over it (or waste time taking it in).
I have been in for regular servicing -- and have mentioned the odd electrical things...but they never happen at the dealer (of course).


Hope you enjoy your Relay -- despite it's odd issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tableforSeven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tableforSeven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tableforSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
MicheleS
Junior Member
MicheleS is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableforSeven View Post

Hope you enjoy your Relay -- despite it's odd issues.

I do really like it! It is comfortable and drives well. Plus I can fit my kids and all of their stuff quite comfortably!

I'm just a car worrywort (sp?)! I tend to worry about insignificant things but I'm paranoid about getting stranded. Especially since I'm planning to take the kids on a LONG trip w/out DH in June...

Michele

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MicheleS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MicheleS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MicheleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
tableforSeven
Member
tableforSeven is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 105
Default Re: electrical and DVD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleS View Post
I'm just a car worrywort (sp?)! I tend to worry about insignificant things but I'm paranoid about getting stranded.
As someone who did get stranded by a previous van (a chevy) with 4 screaming kids and being pregnant at the time...I can completely understand your fears. My former van enjoyed die-ing on the side of the road -- usually with everyone in it....my Relay has been a breath of fresh air (and I don't need to keep coolant in the trunk at all times ).
I've had my Relay since Jan 2005 -- it's serving our family well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tableforSeven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tableforSeven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tableforSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relay DVD Problems matthew999 Relay General 7 01-23-2013 12:21 AM
Electrical Problems Kahuna S-Series Tech 5 01-15-2006 12:19 PM
electrical problems? cutiep S-Series Tech 5 10-17-2005 04:46 PM
DVD Player Problems, Noise hyteccwby Relay General 20 09-03-2005 12:40 PM
electrical problems brotherhay S-Series Tech 2 11-14-2003 09:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.