SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
gopi
gopi is on a distinguished road

Wrench 21 DTCs on a 2002 LW300

I'm hoping somebody here can suggest something, although I'm fairly resigned to this being a dealer fixed problem.

I have a 2002 LW300 with 41k miles. It hasn't had any significant problems up till now.

A few weeks ago, I started to experience intermittent severe front end shake. Happened two times severely, one or two times mildly. Lasted for a few minutes, then stopped. _very_ severe two times. Had tires rotated, Firestone dealer couldn't identify any problems at all. Hasn't happened since.

A week ago, car wouldn't start. Dead battery. Jumped fine, 14.5v from alternator when operating. 8 minute drive sufficient to charge battery enough to start the car. Autozone's fancy device said battery was fine, car's power consumption when totally off was ~100mA. Problem recurred two more mornings, replaced battery and everything was fine. Almost.

Just before I replaced the battery, I noticed that the car ceased to auto-lock the doors when I started moving. In addition, at a speed of ~30mph and 4000 RPM, I was getting virtually zero power. It wouldn't upshift. Foot off the gas, back on, upshifted, back to normal.

A few hours after the replacement battery, check engine light came on. Autozone scan tool said P0502 "Vehicle Speed Sensor A Circuit Low Input"

Two days later, I got an ElmScan 5 to do more diagnostics.
Codes:
P0502 Vehicle Speed Sensor A Circuit Low Input
P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor A Intermittent/Erratic/High
P0562 System Voltage Low
P0563 System Voltage High
P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
P0602 Control Module Programming Error
P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off
P0742 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck On
P0751 Shift Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off
P0752 Shift Solenoid A Stuck On
U2104 Maybe: CAN Bus Reset Counter Overrun
P1621 Maybe: PCM Memory Performance
P1779 Maybe: Engine Torque Delivered to TCM Signal
P1791 Maybe: Transmission Control Module Loop
P1816 Maybe: TFP Valve Position Sw. - Park/Neu. With Drive Ratio
P1847 Maybe: 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit High Voltage
P1860 Maybe: TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P1795 Maybe: CAN Bus - Throttle Body Position
U2103 Maybe: Fewer Controllers On Bus Than Programmed
P0000

Right now, the car also has trouble shifting out of neutral. Specifically, it shudders when I shift from N into D or R. However, this _only_ happens if I've been driving for awhile. Right after I start, it _never_ happens. If I've been driving, it _always_ happens. Turning the engine off for as little as one minute makes the problem go away. It appears that driving fast enough to get into 2nd gear makes the shifting problem appear.

I've scheduled an appointment for the local Saturn dealer (first time there, new to town) but I would like to see if there's a chance I can do anything about it.

After reading archives on this forum, my gut tells me it's either a dead computer or a cabling problem - are all those sensors hooked up to one place, cabling-wise? Any wiring harnesses I can check?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

gopi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gopi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gopi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gopi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 21 DTCs on a 2002 LW300

My guess would be a bad battery cable. The OEM batteries have a habit of leaking acid from the connector if it's overtightened. The acid eats the cable from the inside.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
gopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwages_ls2 View Post
My guess would be a bad battery cable. The OEM batteries have a habit of leaking acid from the connector if it's overtightened. The acid eats the cable from the inside.
Will unplugging the engine computer reset codes and/or clear out any logged snapshot data that the dealer might find useful in troubleshooting?

Should I just remove the battery terminals and visually inspect them for signs of corrosion at the battery end, or should I do something like poke inside the insulation?

Thanks,

gopi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gopi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gopi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

With all of those codes, it almost has to be a battery and or cable issue. Those are just way too many codes for all of those things to be bad all at once without something going screwing with its power supply....

I have seen this a few times, and everytime I replaced the batt and pos cable due to leaking and severe corrosion to the cable. Fixed the problem everytime...

Unhooking the battery will erase the codes, so that is up to you. I will bet that if you do take it off, you will find either fresh battery acid sitting on the cable, or you will see quite a bit of corrosion on it, causing intermittent shorts.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
gopi

I just checked both battery contacts. I had the battery fully removed for a few minutes. I saw some minor green corrosion on the outside of the crimped part of the positive contact, but the bolt and contact side seemed shiny and clean. Couldn't see any problems on the negative side. It also didn't clear out any of the codes. Maybe it wasn't unplugged long enough to do that.

Are there any other cables I should inspect? Any particular sensor cables that may be related to all of these that I should reseat?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gopi's Reputation
Old 05-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Either your PCM/BCM has gone bad. The "checksum error" should be a dead giveaway!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
gopi

Just got off the phone with Saturn. They say that the TCM is definitely bad and should be replaced, $495 including the 1 hour of labor.

They say they're not sure about the ECM, but that it would probably be covered under warranty as an emissions control component. The current TCM is only covered by a 1 year / 12k mile warranty.

The TCM was previously replaced 2 years / 20k miles ago. The previous time the TCM was replaced, the car had been sitting without being sufficiently driven, and they thought that it may have been attacked by rodents.

They'll get a new TCM in on Thursday or Friday and see if that fixes everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gopi's Reputation