SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
bxd20
bxd20 is on a distinguished road

Default the real scoop: fuel economy 2.2 4 cylinder versus 3.5 6 cylinder

My wife and I are shopping 2007 VUEs. I was leaning towards the four cylinder until I looked at the window stickers and was shocked to see that the 3.5 V6 is rated better on the highway by 1mpg. This VUE will spend most of its miles on highways.

Then I browsed these forums, and it seemed that people were agreeing with the old ratings: that the 4 is barely better than the 6 on gas. But it's down 100 hp! The decision began to look easy for us: FWD V6.

Then I decided to check out the www.fueleconomy.gov web site, to compare the old versus the new ratings. (for those of you that aren't aware, the EPA changed the tests that are used to deterine the mileage ratings, and will begin using the new standard for 08 models built after 9/1/07)

FOUR CYL with auto
old: 22/27
new: 20/28

SIX CYL with FWD
old: 20/28
new: 18/25

Under the new rating system, the four cylinder does seem a bit thriftier.

So I'm back here, hoping to get more real world findings. If you have a 2.2 auto, or FWD V6, please share any data you have.

Thanks!
Brian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bxd20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bxd20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bxd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Re: the real scoop: fuel economy 2.2 4 cylinder versus 3.5 6 cylinder

I don't know. Considering the VUE is over 3000 pounds, to me that seems like a lot of weight to haul around with a 4 cylinder engine.

Look strictly at the mileage numbers (and omitting the real world) I'd be tempted to choose the V6 simply because it'll give overall better driveability. You won't feel like you're pushing the motor as much.

But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
marxvue
marxvue is on a distinguished road

I just had my month old 4cyl auto Vue on a 1500 mile trip south and my mileage was between 27 - 31. I drove near the speed limit. My last fillup was a mixture of city/hyway and it was 25 mpg. Most of the v6 Vues I looked at had more options than the 4 that I bought so it was about a $3000.00 savings. I'm happy with it's performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marxvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marxvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marxvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

it's not just fuel economy. 2.2 VUEs are priced lower. and, down the road, regular maintenance is cheaper too. I'm completely happy w/ the ability of my 4cyl VUE, it's got plenty enough pep.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxvue View Post
Most of the v6 Vues I looked at had more options than the 4 that I bought so it was about a $3000.00 savings. I'm happy with it's performance.
Even IF the 4 cylinder does get slightly worse mileage than the V6, the $3000 in initial savings was worth more to me than the $1 or $2 (maybe) I save at each fill up. And thus the primary basis for my purchase as well.

I seen my economy anywhere from 21 mpgs on a tankful of 75 mph interstate driving with a stiff cross/head wind to 28 mpgs with some stop n go city driving and highway driving at or below 65 mph.

And the 4 cylinder VUE fit my needs, so we bought it. I'm reasonably happy with the purchase overall.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I went from a 4 cyl VTi Vue to a FWD V6 Vue w/ a Honda Engine. I have found that the difference is within a few miles less for the V6 versus the I4. And I can go more consistantly over 300 miles on a tankful with the V6 while it was very seldom with the I4.

At first, I was feeling guilty that I was buying a less fuel efficient vehicle than my last Vue. But now, after seeing the results, I think it was a good decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
BexVUE
BexVUE is on a distinguished road

I've seen 28MPG in my RL on a purely hwy. trip to Chicago last year, I got 25MPG last month one time that was probably 75% hwy. During the winter we mostly saw 20-22MPG.

2004 Black VUE Redline
2001 Ford Explorer SportTrac 4x4
2003 Suzuki Z400 Quadsport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BexVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BexVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BexVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I had a 2003 2.2 Vue with the 5 speed and replaced it with an 06 V6FWD and never regretted it. My reason for replacement was I was tired of the clutch. I too weighed the 4 vs the 6 and ended up with the 6 for a multitude of reasons especially seeing as the 6 would give me the added power when I needed it. For the 60-odd thousand miles I had the 03, I average woround 27 mpg with a mix of city and highway. Some tanks it was a little higher, some a little lower. So far with my 06 and almost 16,000 miles, I average about 25-26 mpg overall with the same type of driving. I feel the responsiveness is far better with the 6 than the 4. My wife has an 04 2.2L Vue with the VTi. she is driving mostly city and some rural and is averaging around 23-24 mpg. Her Vue is soon to be replaced by and 08 V6FWD which will become mine and she will get the 06 (her idea, not mine). I feel the difference in mileage is minor between the 4 and the 6 especially when you add the greater responsiveness and such things as traction control and ABS which are options on the 4. Had I to do it again (which I am) I would definitely go with the 6. One minor "problem" with the 6 is that it likes to fly - if I'm not careful I can easily get it in the 85+ range and at that speed, all mileage bets are off. The gas gauge rapidly comes over and shakes hands with the speedometer.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Jim&Carol
Jim&Carol is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2006 VUE 3.0L

We just traded in our 2006 Saturn VUE (V-6 Honda engine) for a 2007 VUE Hybrid. Sure there is a loss of power but it drives the same and we have had no issues with the 4-cyl. We are also getting some great mileage which will payoff as gas goes higher in price. Unless your towing something you won't know the difference most days. Good luck with your new car which ever you buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim&Carol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim&Carol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

If you drive the V6 easy you can almost match the I4 in the city mileage. On the highway the V6 gets better mileage than the I4. The 2.2L engine has to work too hard to move the VUE to get good mileage at highway speeds. The V6 is running a little more than double idle rpm to achieve highway speeds.

You have plenty of power to safely pass other cars. Don't forget the legendary reliability of the Honda engine.

On a recent small 300 mile trip going 65-70 mph on the highway I averaged 29.4 mpg.

I'm at a loss why the EPA had to lower all their estimates when I and many others have no problems getting the existing results.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
mangler66
mangler66 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

My reasons for getting the 4 cylinder was the easy maintenance. I will do most repairs myself, and the 2.2 is a breeze to work on. If you do not plan on doing your own maintenance, keeping the car 10 years, and don't mind the auto trans, the V6 is a no brainer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mangler66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mangler66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mangler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Even with winter fuel blends and remote start warm ups, we have gotten a very consistant 22~24 mpg "mixed" (meaning 80% city 20% highway or 100% "rural") driving out of our 05' 2.2 automatic. I do know that reported consistantly between BOTH the V6 and I4 owners, if you run over ~65 mph on the highway, mileage universally SUFFERS with either powerplant.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #13
James Gerber
James Gerber is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

If purely speaking "MPG's"... from what I've read on this forum, I'd go with the V6.

I'd say my 'real world' average is about 24mpg's with the 2.2L 5spd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to James Gerber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help James Gerber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
VUESBROTHERS
VUESBROTHERS is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR

Brian,

Here's a link I put out here last week on my real world mileage covering a 9 state trip.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98990

Good luck on your decision.

Regards,

Jim

'09 XR FWD, Bluetooth, Nav, O/H DVD, 8 Pass, Leather, Htd Seats, Tow Pkg, Moon, Sky Light, Conv Pkg, Bose Surround Audio Pkg, Enhanced Conv Pkg, HID, 2-Way Advanced Remote

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUESBROTHERS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUESBROTHERS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUESBROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

to some it up, do what you want.
but you have to admit. the honda v6 is a great engine and it's powerful...
but the I4 is cheaper initially and might give you a little better milage...

id go with the V6, but that's because i like having the top of the line car. in that case i want the RL, but you have to really want a RL in order to justify buying one

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
If you drive the V6 easy you can almost match the I4 in the city mileage. On the highway the V6 gets better mileage than the I4. The 2.2L engine has to work too hard to move the VUE to get good mileage at highway speeds. The V6 is running a little more than double idle rpm to achieve highway speeds.
Ahem...The auto i4 doesn't work that hard at hwy speeds...as I've noted several times, it only turns at 2100rpm@65mph...it is the manual with shorter gearing that turns at a faster clip....even those folks have found it to be no problem...The auto i4 is quite quiet at hwy speeds. I have no problem keeping up with the Bobby's of this word....*giggle*

As a poster said, get what you want. The EPA is relative (they all do the same test), so it appears the i4 is slightly thriftier.....to me, it wouldn't mattter all that much, but the sticker price did, and the engine was more than capable of hauling my butt around town. The Vue is light relative to other SUVs, so the i4 is more than enough for the task.....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 cylinder, for the single reason of wanting a stick. Had that not been a requirement, I'd be rolling in a Red Line right now.

My Dad has an '06 V6 AWD and it can't hold a candle to the MPGs that my '05 FWD gets. We both do mostly city driving and my overall average is more than 6MPG higher. His highest tank is 24.84 (which was 95% highway), compared to my average of 24.67 over 59 refills (the winter killed my average too many warmups while scraping windows) with a high of 29.8. A couple tanks ago, my Dad achieved a spectacular 14.01. He does a lot of short trips which really hurts mileage, but 14 is pathetic.

The moral of the story, if you do a lot of highway driving and don't mind the extra price, go with the V6. But if you do a lot of city driving, get the I4. The weather is nice again, so I'm ready for another summer of 25+ in the city. How many V6 owners can brag about that? That includes a lot of time wasted idling in line at a drive-thru line and lots of short trips to & from the golf course.

Neither of the above VUEs match your criteria, but it's food for thought. My Dad bought his VUE after he saw the MPG numbers that I was pulling, it didn't take him long to regret making that decision. Personally, I highly recommend you purchase based on expected city mileage, you might think you'll be driving mostly on the highway, but things change. Contrary to popular belief, the 4 cylinder has absolutely no problem getting the VUE up to speed and/or safely making passes.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I don't think there is really a clear cut advantage in terms of fuel economy. Depends on other factors such as maintence, how long you plan to keep it, existing uses, future uses, and driving conditions. Even then, each of these points can be argued for their perceived advantages from one to another.

Going from a base model I4 5 spd moving to V6 made a world of difference to me. Although I'd probably like an 07 I4 over my old 03 just as well.

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
Dorian
Dorian is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

If fuel economy is your only criteria, go with the four cylinder. If you plan on hauling a lot of people and gear around, go with the six cylinder. The difference in mileage between the two over the long haul is not going to make you regret your decision if you go big, but will help you justify your position if you stay small.

I went with the V6. If my primary requirement was for fuel economy I would have bought a Vibe. As circumstance turned out, my primary requirement was an input jack for an MP3 player. The Vue had it, the Vibe didn't. Goodbye Pontiac, hello Saturn.

http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dorian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #20
ktravis
ktravis is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Happy Re: the real scoop: fuel economy 2.2 4 cylinder versus 3.5 6 cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
If fuel economy is your only criteria, go with the four cylinder. If you plan on hauling a lot of people and gear around, go with the six cylinder. The difference in mileage between the two over the long haul is not going to make you regret your decision if you go big, but will help you justify your position if you stay small.

I went with the V6. If my primary requirement was for fuel economy I would have bought a Vibe. As circumstance turned out, my primary requirement was an input jack for an MP3 player. The Vue had it, the Vibe didn't. Goodbye Pontiac, hello Saturn.
LMAO!! my goodness... the reasons we buy the things we buy! lol... quite the deciding factor for an investment like that! LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ktravis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ktravis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ktravis is offline   Reply With Quote