SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
martx-5
martx-5 is on a distinguished road

Default SL2 - Engine Stumble

For the past few weeks at lower engine speeds (below 3500rpm) and partial throttle, the engine stumbles and misses. If I stomp on the gas, the tranny downshifts, and there is no more stumble or miss. For two weeks, NO CEL (SES light). One morning I started the car, and got an immediate P0122...Throttle position switch low voltage. I cleared the code.

After driveing the car for another week, I'm not so sure that the problem is associated with the TPS. I haven't gotten the code again. This feels just like the car is misfiring.

Any thoughts??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martx-5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martx-5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: SL2 - Engine Stumble

I'm thinking dirty EGR valve.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

for me it was a leaky valve cover. i fixed that and new plugs and the problem went away. it may be your iddle air controll valve tho....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
martx-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I'm thinking dirty EGR valve.
This sounds plausible. I think the P0122 (TPS) was coincidental, as the problem I'm having started several weeks before the CEL came on. Also, it's been about a week since I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back.

I have new plugs and wires which I will put in as I've had them for several months waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. I don't think that this is the problem however, as an ignition misfire would show up very quickly as a P030x.

Can the EGR valve be successfully cleaned?? Or is a replacement the best way to go??

I'm assuming that it's not closing all the way when it's supposed to, allowing exhaust gases to enter the intake when they shouldn't be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help martx-5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Actually, its probably closing and the easiest way to confirm this is to either pull the vacuum line and plug it or disconnect the wire connector temporarily. The idle speed should be normal before and after removing the vacuum line or electrical connector. That's it! No change in idle speed means that the EGR valve is in the closed position during idle. Its when the EFI system calls for the EGR valve to open is when the stumbling, hesitation, and/or stalling tendencies begin. Cleaning the pintle valve and seat as well as the shaft to enable smooth opening and closing will probably prolong its useful life.

The EGR valve's sole purpose is to allow exhaust gas into the intake manifold to cool the combustion process for emission control between 1200- 2500 rpm (approximately). If it stays open too long then too much exhaust dilutes the air/fuel mixture and the result is erratic engine running. Its not used at idle as it would just bog down the low idle so working at part throttle meets emission requirements. You can drive it this way while its closed and the engine should run dramatically better but don't do this too long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
martx-5

fdryer, Thanks for that explanation.

I'll try your suggestion, and see if the stumble goes away. If so, I know where I have to focus my attention.

Thanks, I'll report back when I find something out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
martx-5

Well, I fixed the problem, but before I get to that, where the heck is the EGR valve?? I couldn't find it. BTW, this is a '96 SL2.

Anyway, the misfiring started to get worse, and it FINALLY set off a misfire code...P0302. Why did this take so long??

I changed the plugs and wires (which I've had for several months), and everything is fine now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

EGR valve is on the left (CAR'S left) end of the cylinder head. Kinda between the head and the air intake tube. About the diameter of a Red Bull can (?) but shorter. Electrical connector on black plastic top, rest of it is metallic. Held on by one bolt and one stud; 10mm wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's a link from another post;http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60814. Post #2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
martx-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Here's a link from another post;http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60814. Post #2
Thanks for that link. I looked at that item several times and thought that must be it, but for some reason I changed my mind and thought "Nah, that can't be it" And, by this time I had a hard code P0302 misfire (finally after THREE WEEKS), so the EGR valve was put on the back burner, and I changed the plugs and wires...curing the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To paraphrase from an old Saturday Nite Live skit with 'Rosanne Rosannadanna' (Gilda Radner), "Its always somethin'" or "Never mind!".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martx-5 View Post
Thanks for that link. I looked at that item several times and thought that must be it, but for some reason I changed my mind and thought "Nah, that can't be it" And, by this time I had a hard code P0302 misfire (finally after THREE WEEKS), so the EGR valve was put on the back burner, and I changed the plugs and wires...curing the problem.
I had the same problem until I realised the others I had seen looked nothing like the electric one
see the difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egrvalveelec.jpg (1.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg vaccumegr.jpg (19.2 KB, 13 views)

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

Last edited by Phredawgy; 04-30-2007 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #13
Nio
Nio is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Actually, its probably closing and the easiest way to confirm this is to either pull the vacuum line and plug it or disconnect the wire connector temporarily. The idle speed should be normal before and after removing the vacuum line or electrical connector. That's it! No change in idle speed means that the EGR valve is in the closed position during idle.
Ok, just imagine that EGR valve is stuck and you remove electrical connector.
As I understand it is sill stuck and probably No change in idle speed as well???

The Struggle for existence is a medicine against The Decline of Nation

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It may be a moot point now since you've repaired the problem with just a set of plugs and wires. The EGR, if disconnected, but left bolted in place should not have any effect on the idle speed as it is normally closed preventing exhaust gas from entering the intake manifold. If it were stuck partially open the idle will be rough and may stall the engine.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-30-2007 at 10:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!