SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
timothyhorning
timothyhorning is on a distinguished road

Default VUE rear wiper = design flaw

I've had two VUEs ('03 and '06), and they both had/have the same problem of a rear wiper that doesn't work properly most of the time. Once the back of the vehicle gets dirty from dust, mud, snow/ice, etc., the hinge mechanism gets gummed up and keeps the blade from staying firmly pressed against the window. They should have designed the hinge/spring to prevent this from happening, made it not so tightly pressed together. I've tried WD-40 with limited/temporary success.

Plus, why couldn't they make the fluid spritz onto the window instead of having it pour out down the glass where most of it gets wasted on the ground. That's just plain dumb.

... and I won't even get into how water drips on the seats when you open the door.

Maybe they should test their cars in real-world situations and not just in wind tunnels and on test tracks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timothyhorning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timothyhorning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timothyhorning is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
cxc273
cxc273 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: VUE rear wiper = design flaw

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the one on my '04 AWD. The mechanism doesn't seem to work that great sometimes and the spilling of fluid onto the rear seems a waste.

But looking on the bright side, if that's the worst part of the vehicle, I'll count myself lucky!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cxc273's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cxc273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cxc273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Lift the arm off the windhield and lubricate the area of the pivot with silicon GREASE. Then treat the rear window with RainX. (Follow the directions on the bottle) You'll discover you will have nothing left to complain about...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Wolfman, you are correct, RainX is good stuff!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
James Gerber
James Gerber is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Great tips there : )

This winter is doing a real number on all my blades (front and back)... maybe in the spring I'll do a once over and fix all this stuff, and give the back the lubing/rainX treatment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to James Gerber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help James Gerber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Never had a problem with my '04 rear VUE wiper staying in contact with the window. I just replaced the blade a few months ago. Try owning an Explorer type vehicle and see how you like the rear wiper- the VUE wiper is superior in that respect.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
mekaleka
mekaleka is on a distinguished road

One of the best items I have found is the Rain-X product.

They make a windshield washer fluid and also an additive for other windshield washer products. Very convenient.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mekaleka's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mekaleka reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mekaleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Since we put on the rear air deflector, we don't even use the rear wiper anymore, and it has done nothing BUT rain and snow here since we bought it.

"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greyhound bus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greyhound bus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
ktravis
ktravis is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

hey! i have the same issue with my 04 redline. rear wiper does decent in the centre of the wipe, but in adverse conditions, the start area and the end area of the wipe kinda sux.

i completely agree with you on the wiper fluid dispension. it's one of my pet pieves.....

is it possible to replace that dispenser with a spray dispenser like the fronts???

in the meantime, i'm with james here, once spring arrives, it wouldn't hurt to try the lubing/rainX treatment......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ktravis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ktravis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ktravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktravis View Post
is it possible to replace that dispenser with a spray dispenser like the fronts???

Well, I started a thread as to why the rears dribble, and the line I got was that if they sprayed like the fronts, it wouldn't hit the back glass because of the wind turbulence, hence the dribble.

My rear window wiper works great....it rains here a lot...actaully to f much...and the back window gets dirty like no tomorrow, but the dribble and mini-wiper work great......hehe, there is hope for some men after all (inside joke)....LMAO

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
ktravis
ktravis is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

that's what i was thinking. i was hoping that maybe pointing them more towards the window might help with the turbulence issue, but that in turn would stop the spray from reaching lower down. personally, the dribble is adequate, but watching it from the rear-view mirror makes me cringe sometimes due to imagining the waste of fluid. but to tell you the truth, the management of the wiper fluid that my redline has is superbly better than any car i have ever driven, not to mention the reservoir of the fluid itself in the vue... huge! regardless, i love the redline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ktravis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ktravis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ktravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #12
timothyhorning
timothyhorning is on a distinguished road

I would like to see the fluid come from the wiper itself as I've seen on other vehicles, or at least have the stream of fluid come down the center where the blade swipes by it more frequently than where it is positioned over to one side.

Also, to Greyhound Bus, the rear air deflector you mention... is that the upturned "spolier" thing or the one with the open slot that forces air down over the rear window? I have considered either/both if it would help the situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timothyhorning's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timothyhorning reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timothyhorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Living with the VUE rear wiper:
During dry weather, pick up the rear wiper arm slowly and see if you feel or hear a bind. Most of them will bind and need lubrication. I don't like the silicone recommendation - I use Amsoil MP on mine, which dries quickly and protects for a long time. When the arm pivot is binding, the spring can't hold the blade to the glass properly.
Clean the rear glass frequently.
Replace the rear wiper insert or blade every six months.

This is all normal maintenance and will usually take care of the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Living with the VUE rear wiper:
During dry weather, pick up the rear wiper arm slowly and see if you feel or hear a bind. Most of them will bind and need lubrication. I don't like the silicone recommendation - I use Amsoil MP on mine, which dries quickly and protects for a long time. When the arm pivot is binding, the spring can't hold the blade to the glass properly.
Clean the rear glass frequently.
Replace the rear wiper insert or blade every six months.

This is all normal maintenance and will usually take care of the problem.
1saxman do you use Amsoil lubricant in your engine? You have the rear wiper down to an art... I've used my rear wiper maybe three times in last year.

The spray pattern, or dribble, could have been better. The PT Cruiser does the same thing.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

I'd use a white lithium grease.

I hate the spray pattern as well.. I think it got worse over time. I watch the rear view mirror and pulse the spray just before or just after the blade passes to minimize the loss of fluid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

'1saxman do you use Amsoil lubricant in your engine?'

No, Mobil-1, and I change it every six months. I found the Amsoil 'MP' (metal protectant) at a gun show and use it a lot. It basically dries on the metal with no visible residue but protects better than anything else I've tried where oil or grease is not desired, like around glass. If you lube the rear wiper arm with anything, make sure to cover the glass to prevent contamination. I don't have anything against Amsoil synthetic oil, I just have never tried it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
greyhound bus
greyhound bus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Also, to Greyhound Bus, the rear air deflector you mention... is that the upturned "spolier" thing or the one with the open slot that forces air down over the rear window? I have considered either/both if it would help the situation.[/QUOTE]

I am talking about the smoked plastic deflector that directs air over the window. The window still gets a little dirty, but we have noticed that it keeps the water drops to a minimum and rear visability remains good in the rain, and the dirt doesn't become too thick to see out of. My wife doesn't like look of half the window being clean, making the rest look dirtier, so we just don't use the wiper at all.

"Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greyhound bus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greyhound bus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greyhound bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #18
rdalton
rdalton is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Something you might try that worked flawlessly for me is one of those springs that goes on the arm to add extra tension to the wiper. I put on on and haven't had a problem since.

--------------
*Deductive Reasoning

I am a nobody,
Nobody is perfect,
There for I am perfect

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdalton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdalton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rdalton is offline   Reply With Quote