SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
VDubGuy41
VDubGuy41 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Mom's car died...help.

So I was in the midst of working on my 85 Jetta coupe VR6 swap a couple months ago and needed to run to a friends house to get some stuff. My 95 Jetta was blocked in, so I just took my mom's car. Being the 1.9 16valve dohc, i love revving it up, but since its an auto its not quite as fun.

Well i went to my friends house, and on the way back i heard a ticking rattling sort of sound. I didnt think it was lifter tick, more of a metal on metal, i was thinking the exhaust manifold came undone and was rattling on the downpipe. (I don't know much about this car, im a volkswagen guy). Since it was dark i decided to just keep driving. the rattling got worse/louder and it started smelling bad...out of oil? Then i heard something break, like a loud snap, but the car kept going...then the battery died and the car just coasted. i was just down the road from my house, so i tried starting it up, wasnt very happy, and it sorta kept going. I got to within a quarter mile from my house, and the car just wouldnt keep going. I pulled over and me and my friend opened the hood, a huge ploom of smoke came out. closed the hood, called friend for ride. next morning called a tow and when he got it to my house, he asked "if you got it that far, why didnt you just go home?"

That being said, my mom is driviing my sister's car since she is at college, so the saturn has been sitting for a couple months. Any ideas? My mom told me to look into it as much as possible and try working on it, but with my vw project, havent had time. Thanks for any input. I'm gonna work on the saturn this weekend, so i want a few ideas of what to do. TIA. (and dont just say "you shouldnt have kept driving it", i know, it was dumb)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VDubGuy41's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VDubGuy41 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VDubGuy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
VDubGuy41

1998 SW2
Default Re: Mom's car died...help.

forgot to mention...the car still starts, but when its on it rattles like a tractor and after a minute or so the battery dies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VDubGuy41 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

So now that the smoke has cleared, have you looked under the hood? Checked the oil? Coolant in the reservoir is the color it is suppose to be?

The Saturn is what year, model and how many miles on it? Is it a SOHC or DOHC?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
yazhere

1995 SL1

OK.. I see it is a 1998 SW2... over to the left... Is the serpentine belt still on that drives the alternator and water pump over on the passenger side?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
VDubGuy41

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazhere View Post
OK.. I see it is a 1998 SW2... over to the left... Is the serpentine belt still on that drives the alternator and water pump over on the passenger side?
I'll check that tomorrow when i go over to check te car quick. I'll look at the serpentine belt. The oil was low, but was still noticable and didnt seem low enough to cause a meltdown; according to the dipstick as well as taking the cap off and feeling inside on the cam. I didnt think to check the coolant, will do that as well. thanks for the input, tomorrow i'll post up and we'll go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
yazhere

1995 SL1

Sounds like the timing chain. But... like the lottery... you never know..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The battery died? How were you able to start the engine again? How on earth do you determine a battery dying while driving the car (since it's running on the alternator)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing... what do you mean the battery died?

I know you said not to tell you this, but I can't resist... metal on metal = turn off the engine and call for a tow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
VDubGuy41

1998 SW2

i thought the battery died because while i was driving the car "shut off" and when i pulled over the lights wouldnt turn on, the starter did nothing for a couple mins. a couple minutes later it started. i dont know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubGuy41 View Post
Being the 1.9 16valve dohc, i love revving it up, but since its an auto its not quite as fun.
Sounds like a blown diff pin to me. Did you check the transmission fluid?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #11
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Could be lots of things. Thrown rod, busted valve, rocker arm shaft came loose.......Need more info. Pics might help. Is there oil all over the place? Any holes in the engine that shouldn't be there?

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubGuy41 View Post
i thought the battery died because while i was driving the car "shut off" and when i pulled over the lights wouldnt turn on, the starter did nothing for a couple mins. a couple minutes later it started. i dont know...
That it affected the engine running specifically excludes the battery, since the engine doesn't use the battery. You do have some electrical problem (which could become vexing), separate from your noise episode, but it's not, directly, the battery. Batteries don't die and come back to life by themselves. It could, however, be the connections _to_ the battery. But I'd concentrate on whatever episode happened first, and then see what's up electrically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Seems to me you lost the alternator, the belt idler/pulleys, or the belt itself came apart. Probably a minor fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Seems to me you lost the alternator, the belt idler/pulleys, or the belt itself came apart. Probably a minor fix.
Now that I read your description again, I second that... but, I should add, it's not necessarily your alternator. If any of the pulleys seized (power steering pump, alternator, compressor, etc), the belt could have slipped and snapped off (the smoke would have been the burning rubber). With no belt, you have no alt, and the engine will run off the battery until it dies (which won't be long). Quick check... see if you have a belt. If not, you've probably found your problem, and you just have to figure out which accessory it is. It may also be that the tensioner failed or wasn't holding the belt tight enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Now that I read your description again, I second that... but, I should add, it's not necessarily your alternator. If any of the pulleys seized (power steering pump, alternator, compressor, etc), the belt could have slipped and snapped off (the smoke would have been the burning rubber). With no belt, you have no alt, and the engine will run off the battery until it dies (which won't be long). Quick check... see if you have a belt. If not, you've probably found your problem, and you just have to figure out which accessory it is. It may also be that the tensioner failed or wasn't holding the belt tight enough.
I agree with that or the tensioner causing the belt to slip, which it might be possible for it to slip to the point where the car would run for a while but shut off when it gets bad enough and kills the alternator...and the water pump is also on the accessory belt, so that could cause the car to overheat. And sometimes when those tensioners and such go out they make strange noises.

I wouldn't go to assuming the worst at this point, because if it were a diff pin or something major, I don't think it would be described as a "ticking rattling".

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear a noise described as ticking or ticking rattling, I think serpentine belt and anything on that belt.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 AM   #16
VDubGuy41

1998 SW2

well i had a little spare time today to check out her car. all belts were present and had good tension. there was obviously an oil leak at some point, since i put in about 4 quarts just to get it to a normal level. when i tried starting it, the starter sputtered a few times then it would start to run for a second at 500rpm then die and just have the starter sputter. In order to see what was moving, i had my mom try to start it while i looked under the hood. i could see that on the bottom of the left side of the engine block there was oil leaking, and occasionally a fire; yes, flames. Cracked block somehow? also, i noticed that about halfway down the exhaust there was some sort of breakage and smoke was coming out of that part of the exhaust. Ideas?

BTW, my mom found an '00 Saturn SL for $4g at a local place. Junk the 98 and go for that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #17
Xavarius
Xavarius is on a distinguished road

lol i was in a GTO that burst into flames. My exp is that fire starts, I by a new ride lol.

94 SC2 with issues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xavarius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xavarius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Xavarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
jerry dye
jerry dye is on a distinguished road

rattle, smoke, oil, flames, 4 quarts low on oil? my guess is you probably threw a rod, and as for scrapping the car, no! go to your local salvage yard and buy a used engine for a few hundred bucks and just swap them. and in the future, CHECK THE OIL EVERY WEEK!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerry dye's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerry dye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerry dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #19
VDubGuy41

1998 SW2

alright. being that no one in my family has the knowledge or time to swap an engine, how much would it cost to have done, on top of the few hundred it would cost to buy it? I'm working on a volkswagen engine swap, but being 17 do not know that much about cars yet, would I have the ability to do it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
Alex_SC2
Alex_SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

First, verify that the engine is actually junk. If it threw a rod through the side of the block, it's junk. Ask the salvage yard you get the replacement from if they will give you anything for the old engine.

As for the skill it requires, if you can swap a VW engine, you can definetly swap a Saturn engine. They're less difficult than a VW I would imagine. As for your little "project," I suggest putting that on hold until you get your mother's car running again. That should be your first priority.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.

2002 SC2 - 80,000km so far...
1989 Suzuki Katana 750 - Cheap thrills!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alex_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alex_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alex_SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote