SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 03:00 AM   #1
jojobz
jojobz is on a distinguished road

Default Wheel Bearings or something else?

I have an '05 Ion-1. We drove it on a 2 hour trip and all was well. When I got back in my car later that evening it started making a humming noise. Now it sounds like you are driving a 4x4 truck with mud swampers on it. We checked the wheel bearings and nothing was lose, although the stabilizer bar was messed up (previous salvage). We've had 2 friends drive it and both say wheel bearings, but how can we tell for sure which one it is. We are on a budget right now and none of the part stores around here carry them. We have to drive 2 hours to a dealership to get the part. We'd like to make sure we get the right one first time. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jojobz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jojobz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jojobz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Wheel Bearings or something else?

Welcome to the Board.

To find out which front bearing (if front) is bad lift the front end in the air and stop one wheel from turning while listening for the noise. Repeat the other side. The noisey one is obviously the bad one.

With a 2005 car unless you are out by miles the bearings will be covered under warrenty. So if driving to a Saturn store......

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
jojobz
jojobz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wheel Bearings or something else?

Thanks. I took it to a friends house today and they determined it was the passengar side which is where it was wrecked at (and what we thought but wanted to make sure). We bought the car at an auction so I doubt it's got any kind of warranty since we aren't the original owners. They are going to get the part tomorrow if they have it in and hopefully I will be driving a quiet car tomorrow night. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jojobz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jojobz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jojobz is offline   Reply With Quote