SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
jdcart
jdcart is on a distinguished road

Default Started Rebuilt Saturn Today

I began this project Sept 10 because of a burnt valve. I have some experience with engine repair, but this was my most involved project to-date. (Engine was using 1 qt/500 mi and shifting with great difficulty even after replacing hydraulics). Removed engine from top in my 2 car garage. Block hot-tanked (engine was extremely dirty inside), rebuilt crank (10/10--thrust bearing was shot), new bearings, cylinders machine-shop honed, new rings, new Felpro gaskets and seals, new timing set, new oil pump, engine mount holes in timing cover helicoiled, new clutch, head rebuilt. New idler pulley bearing, new serpentine belt, rebuilt alternator (I did this myself but would not recommend it!!), new injector o-rings, cleaned intake, new transaxle seals, new bearing and seal in intermediate shaft (new shaft was over $400) new engine mounts, new radiator, new struts, new lower control arms, new rotors, calipers rebuilt, new tie rod ends, new pvc valve (factory), new vacuum tubing. Engine appears to be running as new. No check engine lights. Slight whine from power steering pump. Appears to be going into gears perfectly. Cannot yet give it a good test drive because the front end is so far out of alignment that I can hardly drive it. Scheduled for alignment on Monday. I think that I have pulled this off! Can you imagine what this would have cost me at the dealer!!!? Thanks to all those who answered my questions. I truly appreciate this forum. I hope that I can help others who might try the same thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdcart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdcart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdcart is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Started Rebuilt Saturn Today

HOOORAY!!!! I love it when I hear a story like this!!!! In time for Christmas too.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Hooooooooooray!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Critic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Critic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

I'm doing the same thing as you pretty much. How much have you spent so far on it?

Also, where did you get your engine gasket kit? My kit came with 2 intake manifold gaskets, no exhaust gasket, and no o-rings for the injectors. It was also taped shut

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
jdcart
jdcart is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments. As of now (before tying into the broken sunroof) I have about $1500 in it. I bought a sealed Felpro gasket kit off of Ebay. I think I paid about $140 (including shipping) for it. I was shorted an exhaust gasket also. The throttle body gasket did not fit so I had to buy both of these separate. (The exhaust was about $6 and the TB was $2.50) Even so, that seemed to me a decent price, compared with what every other place wanted. (My local NAPA wanted over $200 for a gasket and seal set.) I also did not get injector o-rings. I bought them separate from saturnparts.net for about $23.(8 o-rings)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdcart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdcart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Good job.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote