SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
saturnbomb
saturnbomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default first gen suspension

hey new here to saturns i got this car for a daily driver caus it was free and gets good gas milage then the tranny blew and the lotor was smoking so i did a twin cam swap and then i just did a custom turbo setup and now want to get some suspension stuff like strut bars sway bars and lowering coils and new struts and want to know what you guys have on your car what brands and how they handle thanks

1995 sl1 dohc turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnbomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnbomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: first gen suspension

Could you rewrite that. Periods are your friend. I gave up after the first line.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

The DOHC cars had upgraded suspensions as far as sway bars go. Larger up front, and the SOHC cars, don't have one at all out back. Otherwise, the suspensions are pretty much the same on all the cars fom '91-'02.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
saturnbomb

1995 SL1

sorry. I want to know what people have done suspension wise to ther car. And how they handel with the upgrades. So the twin cams have a rear sway bar?

1995 sl1 dohc turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnbomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

A good setup is KYB struts and Eibach springs. Firms up the suspension but is still smooth enough for a daily driver. $20 strut bar off of ebay, some say that it does not help very much. But it does look neat.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

the suspension is the same on all S-Series (1991-2002). the twin cams had a bigger front sway bar and a rear sway bar. the single cams had a smaller front sway bar and no rear sway bar. the struts and springs are the same.

an excellent upgrade to the suspension would be KYB GR-2 struts and Eibach Pro-Kits springs that will lower the car without being so stiff that the ride beats you up over rough roads. a strut tower brace on the front helps.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
saturnbomb

1995 SL1

so can i throw on a rear sway bar from a twin cam? and if so what needs to be done to do that?

1995 sl1 dohc turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnbomb
so can i throw on a rear sway bar from a twin cam? and if so what needs to be done to do that?
No, the plates where they bolt-up are missing, but if you can weld them on, or get the whole rear section and put it on, that would work, but you can't just bolt on on if it's not there. I've got the Eibach Pro-Kit, but just the stock shocks.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
saturnbomb

1995 SL1

oh so i need to feb up some mounts and brackets for it then, sweet i have a weekend project thanks

1995 sl1 dohc turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #10
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

dont forget to get the front sway bar from a dohc as well, its larger than whats on the sohc.

also u can get front strut bars on ebay for as little as $24 shiped, just get one thats solid, not with a bunch of holes in it. u dont really need a rear strut bar unless u are racing or have a wagon, since theres an accesory tray on the coupes and sedans u wont notice it unless ur racing.

kyb struts are pretty much ur only option in struts, and ur only good choices in springs are ebach or H&R sport. ebach for the street or H&R for race. they both drop about 1.3". if u wanna go lower than that u can but u will start having axle and cv problems.

i have stock front and rear sway bars and front and rear strut bars right now... if u wanna no how good that handles then...
i went to my first auto x race and got 2nd by 0.108 to a 06 mustang gt driven by a pro stock car driver, and beet the 3rd place (a 500hp 300zx) by 0.8something. i also have kyb stuts and H&R sport springs on the way, u can see my other mods in my sig

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnbomb
hey new here to saturns i got this car for a daily driver caus it was free and gets good gas milage then the tranny blew and the lotor was smoking so i did a twin cam swap and then i just did a custom turbo setup and now want to get some suspension stuff like strut bars sway bars and lowering coils and new struts and want to know what you guys have on your car what brands and how they handle thanks
Pics...

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote