SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
thefishin6
thefishin6 is on a distinguished road

Default Massive oil leak on startup

I have a 2000 LS2 3.0 liter. The vehicle has started to have a massive oil leak on startup after a recent oil & filter change. The leak appear to be near the front and in the middle of the engine compartment and high up, maybe the driver's side end of the engine block. The oil pours out for maybe 30 seconds and then stops. I have checked the oil level and it doesn't appear to be dropping noticeably. I can not see the exact source of the leak because it is blocked from the top and bottom from view. There appears to be a silver metal tube (maybe .5 inch diameter) that takes a path of a wide/short "U" just above small cylinder (approx 3 inch diameter) that the oil is leaking onto. Does anyone have a clue what is happening?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thefishin6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thefishin6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thefishin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
thefishin6

Default Re: Massive oil leak on startup

My daughter just got back with the car and I had her start it up again and there was no leak at all. It appear to have happened three times in two days at startup in our driveway. The location is actually the very front of the engine, mid-way across and appears to be near or just under where the exhaust pipe appears to start coming down out of the engine.

Thanks again and let me know if you know what this leak is from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thefishin6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Where was the oil change done? May be worth taking back to them if they are a real shop, not a fast lube place, to get then to find the leak source. The area in the middle of the front of the block (rad side) is where the oil filter housing is and then tubes that you are describing are likley the oil cooler tubes. So the problem could be that the oil change place did not get th eoil filter housing cover on properly or the housing is somehow damaged or the pipes are some how damaged or there is something higher up on the engine that is leaking.

Either way I would be very hesitant to drive the car with this happening as you never know when this "30 second" leak may turn into a new engine.

Then again if the oil level is not dropping with oil pouring out are you sure that it is indeed engine oil? Because a pressurized oil leak would not normally stop leaking.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #4
thefishin6

Thanks for the quick reply. The oil change was done at a Grease Monkey (fast lube place). I can not explain why the oil comes out fast and leaves a spot 12-14 inches in diameter on the driveway and then stops perfectly without any noticeable continued leak. I will park it until Monday when I can get it looked at. I am really hoping that it is as simple as a poor install of the new oil filter. Since the oil level isn't dropping significantly, is it possible that there was too much oil put in? Would this cause a spike in pressure that would blow out oil and then normalize?

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #5
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Since you mention Grease Monkey, do you by any chance happen to stay in the Richmond area?! My friend used to work there, and I've only seen them around the Richmond area.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

O ring on the filter cap has to be changed EVERY time or there's a good chance it'll leak. Sounds like the place you took it didn't change the O ring, which is just lazy since the new O ring comes in the box with the filter cartridge.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #7
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

I concur, it sounds like the O ring was not changed, or was damaged. The oil is leaking until the O ring seats, then stops. Take it back and make them fix it. Unless they want to buy an expensive motor...

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
thefishin6

Thanks for all the good advice. The problem appears to be fixed. I took it back and they confirmed that the technician didn't use the new gasket because the one in there was much thinner than a new one should have been. There was no damage to the silver tube above the filter area so the leaking was solely related to the oil filter. As far as location, I am in Colorado. I also enjoyed the binary joke (10 types of people in the world). I saw that joke on someone's tee shirt a few years ago and it took me a couple of minutes to figure it out.

This was my first time using this forum and I really appreciate the quality and speed of advice.

Thanks Again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!