SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
cartman1966
cartman1966 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Up New car review and dealer experience

I thought I would write a new review of my 2007 Aura XR and the buying experience all in one thread. I learned a lot from the board before I bought and I want others to have another opinion. This is my first Saturn (and GM in a long time).

Bought a 2007 Aura XR, Ocean Mist, Morocco brown leather seats, fully loaded last week (see my avatar). List price was $27,019 and it has every option except the panoramic sunroof. The actual price was $28,017 as the dealer installed a paint protector and a pin strip. Was not an option to get the car without this. I did not ask if I could order another car and then not have them add these features. The pin stripe actually looks good.

The car is a joy to drive. I traded my 2002 Maxima GLE and the Aura is similarly equipped. I have not seen any issues with the engine or transmission so far. Cannot give a good mileage estimate yet as the car only has 200 miles on it. The car has created quite a buzz here at work, especially the interior. I am 6’ 3” and weigh 210 # and I fit with no problems. Cannot give a review of back seat room as I have no intention of sitting back there. It does seem a bit tight for the person who would site behind me.

So far, I have a few dislikes that obviously did not dissuade me from buying. The steering wheel radio and cruise control buttons are a bit small. I probably will not be able to use with my gloves on in the winter. The trunk is also a bit small, but I was able to fit 2 golf bags in with no trouble. The opening is just not that wide and the clubs need to be tilted to get them in. That’s about it.

The buying experience was solid. No haggle on the price, but I still had to listen to the pitch about leasing and extended warranties. Paid cash so no financing details. When we did the pre-delivery inspection (after the car was paid for and plates transferred), I discovered a chip in the rear bumper and also a little crease right below the rear plate holder. Looks like someone backed into something. The car had all of six miles on it. To their credit, they were apologetic and were going to fix it. I took the car home ad brought it back 2 days later. Then it was in the body shop for almost a week. It’s fixed now but I was a little upset as I thought they would schedule it to be done and I would only be without the car for 2 days. We’ll see how they perform in the future and I am going to note this on the survey.

I will be watching the board for the next day or 2, so if you have a question, reply to the post and I will try to answer.

Cartman1966

2007 Aura XR
2005 Hyundai Sonata
1997 Chevy K1500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cartman1966's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cartman1966 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cartman1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Cowtown_Raider
Cowtown_Raider is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: New car review and dealer experience

Hi, congrats on the new ride. Sorry to hear about the paint chip. I'd be pissed if I bought a new car then had to go a week without it because some dumbass backed into something. Better get some free oil changes or something for that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cowtown_Raider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cowtown_Raider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cowtown_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman1966
The actual price was $28,017 as the dealer installed a paint protector and a pin strip. Was not an option to get the car without this.
I disagree with that. If you tell them you won't buy the car they'll usually let it go. No way I'd pay that. If they didn't I'd go somewhere else. You basically paid $1000 for a pin stripe and "paint protector" which obviously did nothing for the chip you have since received. Extra grand in someone's pocket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Andy07xr
Andy07xr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

let me guess you got it at Saturn of Libertyville?? I have the libertyville edition myself and was similarly dissapointed by the take it or leave it. I did get the sales woman to slip up a bit and explain to me that the $ for the coating was for a 5 year warranty that comes with it. I am the type that doesn't go for the dealer add on BS.. So I told them I didn't want the protection and that for $20 I could go buy a 3M product that would basically be the same thing. So I would up getting it for a little less than half off. I reported this issue in the survey so maybe something will be said. I won't hold my breath. I with that mudflaps would have been part of the package instead of the little wheel well protector... OH well like you said it wasn't enough to break the deal, but it did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. We should get a little aura club going..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andy07xr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andy07xr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andy07xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
gmhashope
gmhashope is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Saturn of Joliet had an Aura with the pin stripe and paint protector on it and I noticed the car was from Saturn of Libertyville. There's no way I'd pay an extra thousand for that.

BTW, congrats. on the new Aura.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than liked for who I'm not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmhashope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmhashope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmhashope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
prof
prof is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the car. I ordered the White with the Moroccan leather. I did not have any issue with any "add ons" here in MAss. The whole process was as smooth as the Aura XR. I really like this car. It is smooth, quiet and very comfortable. The car onyl has about 800 miles on it, so it is not "broken in" but on a trip ;ast weekend the milegae was 26.5 and that included some stop and go. I am quite pleased. Trips that are just in town have shown the mileage to be 21 or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prof's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prof reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
cartman1966
cartman1966 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Yep, it was Saturn of Libertyville. I don't really live over this way but I work here so I figured it would be easier for service. The 2 other dealers I checked out all had similar "add ons". I am not going to get into the merits of the add ons as it obviuosly didn't break the deal and it was the car I wanted. This dealer is selling them almost right off the truck, both XEs and XRs. I actually like the pin stripe as it gives a little bit of character.

My first mileage was 18.2 but the first 2 days I had the car, I sat in traffic due to storms and stop lights being out. I just filled it up this morning with it's second tank and I will be out on the highway this weekend. The car is great to drive. I have just been keeping away from all the gravel trucks on the road.

2007 Aura XR
2005 Hyundai Sonata
1997 Chevy K1500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cartman1966's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cartman1966 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cartman1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

FYI: That "Paint Protectant" comes in gallon jugs. One jug will do about FIVE cars and costs about $40....and about 1.5 hours labor with a buffer...(including coffee break)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
Andy07xr
Andy07xr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

yeah that's why I fought them over it. I wasn't about to pay $700 IIRC for a "paint protector" that I could basically buy the same product off the shelf for $20. The only reason I agreed is that they gave it to me for less than half that and it comes with a 5 year protection plan that suposedly they will repaint any section of the car that is faded, or damaged by acid rain, sun fading, or the most common problem bird poo. I'd be pretty sceptical on if they would actually come through, but hey it's worth a shot.

I do like the pin stripe, but again "libertyville edition" package was a little over priced for a pin stripe and some little rubber strips on the wheel wells. Like I said before I would have been much happier if it would have included mud flaps.

I've already got a rock chip right smack dab in the middle right abobe the Saturn decal. There have been more things thrown up at this car in the past month. I guess it's all the construction on 294. Oh well I guess I'll look into some touch up paint when I take it in for oil.

I will say that other than the add on BS I've had a great experiance with the dealership. My sales woman had personally called me at least once a week asking if everything is going ok. I'd go to the point of saying Saturn is laying it on a bit thick. I actually had a message on my machine today that was suposedly from a woman that works in the Aura factory. She wanted to know if I had any questions about any functions or features of the Aura. This is pretty crazy. Maybe if she calls back when I'm home I'll ask her why the car won't idle correctly..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andy07xr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andy07xr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andy07xr is offline   Reply With Quote