SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
will4384
will4384 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
1999 SL1
Default Help with OBDII codes

yesterday I noticed the check engine soon light came on in my car. I rented a scan tool from NAPA, and I got two codes. P0133 (O2 sensor CKT slow response), and P0404 (EGR flow CKT range/perf). What do I need to do with the O2 sensor. Should I just replace it? How much do they cost? I'm planning on cleaning the EGR and seeing if that takes care of the P0404 code.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to will4384's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help will4384 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
will4384 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
will4384
will4384 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
1999 SL1
Default Re: Help with OBDII codes

hey, I just found this on another post.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC P0133
This DTC is set if the average response time of the switches from the sensor is too slow after the 100 second test is performed. If the lean to rich time is greater than 125 ms or the rich to lean time is greater than 156 ms, this code will set.

DTC P1133
If less than 10 switches take place during the test, this code will set.

DTC P1134
If the transition ratio of the sensor is greater than 2.8 or less than 0.6, this DTC will set.

Diagnostic Aids
Repair Procedure
The oxygen sensor wiring and connections should be checked if any of these DTCs are set because corrosion or loose connections could cause these DTCs to set.
The most likely cause of setting any of these DTCs is contamination. This contamination could be caused by fuel, improper use of RTV sealant, engine oil, or coolant contamination.
The source of contamination should be identified and corrected before replacing the sensor.

So I should be looking for contaminates? I did notice that the coolant level was alittle lower than I remember it being about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to will4384's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help will4384 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
will4384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Help with OBDII codes

An O2 sensor switches about six times per second. Yours is slow, which is usually a sign that it has seen better days. This is about the only indicator of a sensor that needs replacing. If your engine is putting coolant into the combustion chamber, then you're looking at a head gasket or a breach of the cooling system (like cracked head) into the combustion chamber. Coolant into the combustion chamber is usually associated with other issues, and you don't mention those so it's not likely you have that as an issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote