SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
KGB
KGB is on a distinguished road

Default Design Flaw?

I was washing my 2004 VUE yesterday and noticed that the trim piece immediately above the license plate (the one that holds the plate lights) was loose on one end. Upon further inspection, I found that not only was the one end loose, but the lower edge on both ends rubs against the paint and had worn down to bare metal at the contact point, even on the side that wasn't loose. This appears to be a design flaw, since on my VUE there is no way that it won't rub. Has anyone else seen this?

I ended up popping the inside panel to tighten the trim piece back up, but while it was loose, I put rubber shims under it so the bottom corners are spaced up above the metal tailgate. There are gaps now, but it's better than holes rusting through in a couple of years. I'm also painting the bare spots. FYI, I'm still under warranty, but based on experience, I wouldn't expect the dealer to be able to do anything useful (assuming they would do anything at all).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KGB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KGB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Design Flaw?

KGB, Do you have the ability to take some pictures as to exactly what you are talking about and have experinced. I will have to check our 05 vue.. interesting.. I hope not to have ours long enough to worry about rust through. I am hoping for a late 07 or early 08 model of saturn vue/something.. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just checked mine and didn't notice this issue. It seems tight as a drum.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

This happened on my original one - it chipped the paint through to the metal.

I now have the rear bezel from the '04+ V6, with the "stainless" letters - it isn't rubbing at all.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
KGB
KGB is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I'll get a chance to get any pictures, but the problem is obvious if you have it. The paint is worn and chipped on both left and right lower corners.

Based on D.J.'s response, it appears this may be fixed with the newer bezels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KGB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KGB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
bronzestarvue
bronzestarvue is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Just picked up my '06 VUE 3.5 AWD last Friday, and a friend of mine got an '06 Kia Sorrento the following day. Interesting to compare the two. The Sorrento has a few things I wished my VUE had, namely rear disc brakes, a retractable rear cargo cover, and the glass on the back hatch opens separately. I haven't ridden in it yet, but I'm liking how the VUE drives. The 250hp Honda engine is real nice, and once I install the K&N CAI and tinker around with the exhaust, I'm sure I'll get about another 10-15 hp out of it. The Sorrento is only rated at 192 hp, so the VUE has substantially more power. The MSRP on mine was $23880, but they discounted it 10%, added another $1000 for "final" incentive, and added an additional $500 for military.

Another thing I'm not liking a whole lot on the VUE are those faux wood trim pieces on the door handles and center console. They should've used something like brushed aluminum instead, or put more wood. There's just too many different colors and textures inside with that wood trim (i.e. shiny door pulls and instrument bezels, brushed aluminum around the shifter, etc). I ordered a brushed aluminum interior kit on eBay, and someone told me the '07 VUEs have brushed aluminum instead of the wood pieces. Might have to swap those out too if they're interchangeable.

Anyway, this is my 4th Saturn ('94 SW2, '01 LW300, '02 LW300). It's kinda cool to be back on this site again...

Robert (Norfolk, VA)
97 SC2, Fiamm horns, STB, Uni filter, Springtech springs, drilled rotors
07 Sky, Fiamms, muffler, drilled rotors, Fujita intake, reBar, tunnel brace, front chassis brace

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bronzestarvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bronzestarvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bronzestarvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzestarvue
Another thing I'm not liking a whole lot on the VUE are those faux wood trim pieces on the door handles and center console. They should've used something like brushed aluminum instead, or put more wood. There's just too many different colors and textures inside with that wood trim (i.e. shiny door pulls and instrument bezels, brushed aluminum around the shifter, etc). I ordered a brushed aluminum interior kit on eBay, and someone told me the '07 VUEs have brushed aluminum instead of the wood pieces. Might have to swap those out too if they're interchangeable.
The 4 cylinder VUE and RL have aluminum-look trim instead of the wood, as well.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote