SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
tomcatt1
tomcatt1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default How to keep foglights on?

I'm a brand new Vue owner, having bought my '06 yesterday. So far I have been really pleased with it, and actually surprised at the amount of power the V6 has. I actually worked for a local dealership about 12 years ago, but this is my first Saturn.

I'm wondering if there is a way to NOT have to turn the foglights on each time one turns on the headlights, or when the headlights come on automagically. In other words, to keep from having to reach across and hit the button to turn the foglights on. Not a big deal, but wondered if someone had a fix?

Thanks,

Tommy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomcatt1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomcatt1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomcatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to keep foglights on?

dont know about the newer saturns, but on my '95 SC2, if i bring the headlights up, then turn on the foglights manually, the car will "remember" to do the same thing on the next drive cycle.

i.e., when i turn the headlights off before shutting the car off, go in the house for a bit, and come back out to drive off again, my fogs will automatically come on with the headlights.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
tomcatt1

2006 VUE 3.5L

I certainly havn't had a lot of experience with it yet, but this doesn't seem to be the way the Vue foglights work; I wish it did.

Tommy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tomcatt1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
cjones4512
cjones4512 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

My Vue is an 05 but, I think the 06 has the same switch. On mine i have to turn the fog lights on by the switch anytime the car has been off. In other words if I get out of the car and turn the ignition off, and then get back in and turn the ignition on I must turn the fog lights back on if i want them on. As far as I know all Vues with fog lamps are like this unless they are aftermarket.

I hope this answers your question
CJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjones4512's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjones4512 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjones4512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

The fogs are controlled by a momentary switch which sends a pulse to the BCM to power the lights on.

Short of wiring up a circuit to basically "fire off" that pulse when the DRL come on there's not anything you can do to make them permanent.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Let me preface this by saying that I do not know if it will work, but try this. Turn the headlights ON MANUALLY using the switch and then turn on the FOGLIGHTS using the switch. (Key in RUN position) then turn the headlights OFF, and then the car off.

(In some BCM configurations, the BCM will retain a memory of what was set where when last turned on/off MANUALLY by the operator. If this works, the next time the headlights self activate, the fogs should too. This won't happen if you turn on the fogs after the headlights self activate, because the core command ON for the headlights came from the BCM, not the operator via the headlight switch. I added the OEM foglights to my VUE (it has Traction Control, so using the factory switch set up was not an option) and they are wired to work the same way as the OEM set up, BUT, use an aftermarket switch indendant of the BCM, so I have no way to expirement and confirm for you whether or not my suggestion will work.)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

That won't work either. You just have to turn them on when needed. The older VUEs have manual-only headlights, and it's the same deal with the fog lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatt1
I'm a brand new Vue owner, having bought my '06 yesterday. So far I have been really pleased with it, and actually surprised at the amount of power the V6 has. I actually worked for a local dealership about 12 years ago, but this is my first Saturn.

I'm wondering if there is a way to NOT have to turn the foglights on each time one turns on the headlights, or when the headlights come on automagically. In other words, to keep from having to reach across and hit the button to turn the foglights on. Not a big deal, but wondered if someone had a fix?

Thanks,

Tommy
Fog lights really should only be used when it's foggy. In clear weather, they provide zero increased distance visibiliy because they are mounted so low. When the weather is clear, fog lights just cause more glare in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Fog lights also place more load on the alternator which places more load on the engine which wastes more gas. Just use them when it's foggy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
iamyourtech
iamyourtech is on a distinguished road

the lights on the vue are actually more of running lights and provide better lighting up close, if they were real fog lights then they would be yellow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iamyourtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iamyourtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iamyourtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
m4gician
m4gician has a spectacular aura aboutm4gician has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1

I did this on another car, because of the Auto driving lights it'll be a little tougher. What you have to do is find where the light switches are, and modify that by splcing the certain wire that makes it so only hte fogs come on when your parking lights are on. That's the best way if you wanna use the fogs as your DRLs.

2005 Black Saturn Vue AWD V6
Aftermarket additions:
- Webasto Panorama Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m4gician's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m4gician reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m4gician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:57 AM   #11
AzBlondeRocket
AzBlondeRocket is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

[QUOTE=tomcatt1]I'm wondering if there is a way to NOT have to turn the foglights on each time one turns on the headlights, or when the headlights come on automagically. In other words, to keep from having to reach across and hit the button to turn the foglights on. Not a big deal, but wondered if someone had a fix?

I was wondering the same thing...not that it's a hassle to turn the fog lights on, but it would have been nice for them to come on automatically.

2006 Saturn Vue Red Line -A Moose is on the Loose-
1990 Toyota Camry LE-V6 - Katy the Camry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AzBlondeRocket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AzBlondeRocket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AzBlondeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383
Fog lights really should only be used when it's foggy. In clear weather, they provide zero increased distance visibiliy because they are mounted so low. When the weather is clear, fog lights just cause more glare in the eyes of oncoming drivers. Fog lights also place more load on the alternator which places more load on the engine which wastes more gas. Just use them when it's foggy.
Indeed. Nothing is more annoying than having some kid riding your bumper with foglights ablaze on a clear day/night that look like they belong in a lighthouse. It's obnoxious.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
tomcatt1

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
Indeed. Nothing is more annoying than having some kid riding your bumper with foglights ablaze on a clear day/night that look like they belong in a lighthouse. It's obnoxious.

Cheers,
Very true, but a large part of my driving is done on rural roads. The deer havn't liked my vehicles thus far, but I'm afraid they might like the Vue

I'll have to admit that I have not driven the Vue at night yet, but I do like the idea of having some light shining on the sides of the road when I can't have the high beams on.

Tommy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!