SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Cold Start Engine Noise 2005 Ion2

hi all
we purchased a new 2005 ion2 last july,got about 20000kms on it now.
we have had a pretty mild winter here in nova-scotia except for the last week 1/2 with temps down to -17c(1.4f) hovering around -11c in the day.
i have noticed in the morning at first startup that the engine sounds like a diesel engine for about the first 8-10 mins until the engine warms up.
it doesent miss,stumble or stutter at all,just very noisy.
i am wondering if this is normal for the 2.2l engine.
is this something we should be worried about and bring to the dealers attention?
the dealer has serviced the car since day one.
i cannot recall ever noticing the noise until this cold snap.and i start the car every morning for work.
oil is full (due for change in 2000kms)
regards,jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cold Start Engine Noise 2005 Ion2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg1
hi all
we purchased a new 2005 ion2 last july,got about 20000kms on it now.
we have had a pretty mild winter here in nova-scotia except for the last week 1/2 with temps down to -17c(1.4f) hovering around -11c in the day.
i have noticed in the morning at first startup that the engine sounds like a diesel engine for about the first 8-10 mins until the engine warms up.
it doesent miss,stumble or stutter at all,just very noisy.
i am wondering if this is normal for the 2.2l engine.
is this something we should be worried about and bring to the dealers attention?
the dealer has serviced the car since day one.
i cannot recall ever noticing the noise until this cold snap.and i start the car every morning for work.
oil is full (due for change in 2000kms)
regards,jeff
My '04 Ion 3 was loud on cold mornings and would quiet down once warm as well. As far as I've read in these forums it's normal. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read is that in the 2.2 Ecotec pistons slap around a bit when cold but then quiet down once they expand in heat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to synthkat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help synthkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

I have a 97 sw2

When i start it cold it sounds like its going to blow up its so loud. It also sounds like the dash board is vibrating. When it warms up it quiets down and when i come to a complete stop its dead silent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
dcfatalis100
dcfatalis100 is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 AURA XR

make sure you have the right viscosity oil in there, because that is damn cold. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcfatalis100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcfatalis100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcfatalis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

We had temps at -20F (-29C) here in Minnesota. When I started it in that, WOW!!! That the only word I had for it. Ran fine, just sounded like it was about to blow up, or tear itself apart. Can't even describe the sounds. But once warm, not a single problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiseguy3501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
06blk2.4
06blk2.4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Sorry to bring bach the whole thread, but this is what my car did last night that has me wondering. It is just like the first two posts. It just sounds loud, but doesnt miss at all, just loud. After a few minutes it was warmed up and ran fine. I have to believe it was just the cold weather, even though 39* isnt really that cold. Anybody have ideas?

06 Black Quad Coupe 2.4 Auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06blk2.4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06blk2.4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06blk2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

My 3.5L Vue has a noisy valvetrain when cold, but after 10 min of running the motor is silent at idle. Oil takes a bit longer than water to warm up to operating temp, so it might take a little while for the motor to quiet down.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Out of curiosity are you northern neighbor's in cold weather (below 32F., 0c.) using low viscosity weight oil, 5w-30 5w-20 5w-10 0w-? or synthetic? My understanding of oil is that given a good engine, synthetic would be ideal for extreme low temperature as the oil will have excellent flow for the initial start-up reducing the starter load while increasing oil pumping efficiency allowing a smoother engine start. Is regular multi-weight oil good enough for reducing the engine noises at start-up or would synthetic help here? Is it still a fact that regular oil flows off more so, while synthetic still clings when shutting down overnite before start-up the next morning?

My limited experience in the freezing(?) canyons of NYC winters has shown that regular oil is very thick (molasses-like) compared to synthetic (flows very smoothly) by listening to the starter. I'm a fan of synthetic along with using the oil life monitor to regulate oil change intervals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote