SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC
Default Help with keyless entry

My "new" 92 SC came with this remote:

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...56/limit/last1

Can anyone tell me exactly what it is? I assumed that it was a keyless entry remote, until I found out that pre-96 S cars weren't OEM keyless entry equipped. I replaced the battery, and the inside looked pretty clean, just a little dust, but the led doesn't work when I push the buttons.

If I am indeed without keyless entry, how hard is it to install an aftermarket unit? Any recommendations on what to buy?

Thanks!

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Help with keyless entry

That IS an aftermarket unit. Open it up and clean the contacts under the push buttons, and look for any indicator of who made the unit. (your only source for a replacement remote) Depending on who installed the system, the "black box" will be located under the dash or center console somewhere most likely.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
acr2001
acr2001 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem with my aftermarket remote not working. I removed the circuit board and disconnected the battery. I got some q-tips and cotton swabs and dipped them in rubbing alcohol and cleaned off the pcb and all contacts with it.

I pretty much submerged the board in alcohol, but I wouldnt do that unless its a last resort.

- 1993 SL1 Auto 100,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acr2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acr2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

lol idk about submerging it in alcohol! the one that came w/ my car made its way into a hot tub at Destin Beach, FL and it made the locks flip locked/unlock and the trunk/alarm goin' off while goin down the strip at about 11:00 at night... in stop/go traffic. Nice & embarrasing ... lol

but since that, Ive bought new remotes for mine, and since my prior experience w/ getting it wet im VERY careful about where I clean it. I dont keep rubbing alcohol I have the swabs, so I just wipe the contacts and im careful about it.

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
acr2001
acr2001 is on a distinguished road

That's why I said only submerge it as a last resort... but I must say it worked GREAT for me... my remote was very flaky, wouldnt work all the time and didnt have a very good range (with new battery) but after cleaning / submerging it its been working like new for a few months now. I think the button contacts were corroded and the alcohol probably helped remove some of it.

- 1993 SL1 Auto 100,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acr2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acr2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Thanks for the replies. I swabbed out the remote well and am letting it dry overnight. I looked around for the "black box" and didn't find it, is it likely that it's stashed somewhere under a plastic piece? If so, I may never find it, unless I strip the car down!

I'll post back with how I make out.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote