SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
bender
bender is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Who has owned their S since new?

If you bought your S new, what was your buying experience like? It would be nice to hear some other tales. I bought mine Oct 97 and ordered it from the factory. The car was built and shipped out of TN in 3 weeks. My car was loaded onto a train car and heading west on its way to California. Then the UP and SP railroads decided to have a labor dispute! I don't remeber the details of the dispute, if it was a strike or other issue. My car sat there on the tracks somewhere between here and TN for two months My retailer felt horrible and they put me in a brand new silver SL2 (with an auto ) to drive while we waited for the resolution to the dispute. So eventually my car made it here and I've been very happy with it ever since!

While it was nice to have the "new car" experience, I doubt I'll ever buy a new car again. There are so many good used cars out there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bender's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bender reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2
Default Re: Who has owned their S since new?

All three of my Saturns were bought new, I only have one left, so that's the story I will tell. I bought the car from Saturn of Wyoming Valley when they were having a clearance sale in the parking lot of the local mall (Viewmont Mall in Dickson City). At the time, my daily driver was a beater, a 83 Pontiac Grand Prix that I was working on every weekend. It broke down so much that I almost got tossed off AAA for using them too much.

I really wanted an SC2, but I didn't fit, most of my height is in my torso, not my legs. As such, I had to keep my head kiltered to the side. After mulling around, I spotted my baby. It's a 94 SL2 in blue/black. It had every option except for the CD player. The invoice listed a rear spoiler but the car didn't have it on. I talked to one of the sales people and it turns out an old man ordered the car but then didn't want the spoiler, so they swapped the trunk lid. The old man then reneged on the deal. I told them I want the spoiler, but not the leather seats or the radio as I planned on taking my Alpine/Rockford Fosgate system out of the pontiac. To make the sale, they took off the cost of the leather and stereo, swapped the trunk, and I purchased it for below sticker. They took the car back to the retailer where they were going to work on it and I was told I would have it on Tuesday (I bought it on Sunday). Tuesday comes and no car, Wednesday, no car. I call on Thursday and I get a run-around, so now I am nervous because I sold the Pontiac to a friend and he is waiting on the Saturn. After a week, they finally drive the car to where I work. Turned out they lost the car and could not find it. It came with an extra 300 miles on the odometer and they cleaned it in the parking lot with Windex They made good by taking an additional $1400 off the price ($200 per day late).

So, while it had a rocky start, she has been rock solid with no major problems. About 2 weeks after getting her, she was joined by her sister, a 94 SL2 Home Coming and spent 7 years together before the HCE was totaled in August 2001.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I have had my SC2 since the day it came off the truck. Because it's a limited package and I wanted a stick, I had to place an order. It took a month from order to delivery and it had 10 miles on the odometer when they gave me the keys. I would love to know why it had that many, especially considering it was custom built for me. My VUE, which I bought off the lot, only had 6 miles on it, and I have heard of others with less than 5. I think somebody took it for a joy ride before I got there.

When I ordered mine in July of '98, the '99 models were just starting to show up on the lot and the dealership didn't have any details yet. I went to saturn.com, built my own, printed the sticker and told the dealer that is what I wanted and that is what I was going to pay. I didn't even take a test drive or sit in the car. It was quick and painless, the only thing that sucked was trading in my mint condition SL2.

I had to stop back at the dealership a couple days after the trade to pick something up and there was some guy checking out my SL2. He actually came up to me and asked if I rolled the odometer forward because he could not believe that a car with thay many miles could look that good, both inside and out.

I bought my SL2 from my parents, but I was with my Dad when he took delivery, more than 2 months after the order was placed! It was "used" to me, but I put more than 77,000 of the 100,000 miles on it.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
94sc295sl2
94sc295sl2 is on a distinguished road

Location: spring hill tennessee (the motherland) sterling heights michigan native

1997 SL2
1994 SL1

my 1994 sc2 was bought new in 1994 by my parents,, mom drove it first then dad then me. so it has been in the family since new

remember that cars are built by robots built by human hands and are prone to failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc295sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc295sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94sc295sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

We bought our '92 in Oct '91. Long story made short. Good experience all around. Now at 153,000 miles and it is still looking good.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

ordered in early july 1995, built in middle july and took delivery in august. it was one of the first 1996 models on the road in my area. (bought from saturn of glen burnie, md). had 4 miles on the odometer when i drove it off the lot. now has 175,000+ and is not often street driven anymore. just took it out of storage 2 days ago and has sat in my driveway until this morning. felt sorry for it and drove it to work. needs a battery. it will probably sit 5 days a week this summer. mostly driven on sundays in parking lots.

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

I didn't factory or custom order mine. I got it in 99 'slightly used' i still had a good buying experience and have put about 90K of the 113K miles on it.

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

i specially ordered my 2001 sc2 fully equipped in may 2000 & it was done by the end of the month. it was on the showroom floor covered with balloons & it had a message on it: welcome to the saturn family or something like that. i still have the pics of all that. i have myself in pics with my sales person standing next to the car. to this day, she always sends me cards in the mail. she's real nice. i don't know if they still do stuff like that anymore though. do they?? anyway, it was exciting to pick up my first new car! i'm going to keep this car until the wheels fall off it. this car is special to me because i'm the only person who owned it, & i want to see how long i can keep it in prestige condition. my other cars i owned in the past were always used. anyway, my car's sitting in a heated garage right now drying off after i gave her a bath! tomorrow whe goes in for service to have that troublesome top engine mount replaced & a vibration damper kit installed for good measure. only the best for my baby! i hate to leave my car anywhere i'm not! anybody else crazy like me?? to this day, the car only has 22,000 miles on it. it's fully equipped with every option in the book except aluminum wheels. i hate the way they always start to pit under the clearcoat when it starts to break own. i always liked steel wheels with wheel covers. in the past, i loved steel rally wheels with stainless steel trim rings & caps like on the old muscle cars!

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 02-24-2006 at 02:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Purchased my 97 SL2 off of the dealer lot (someplace outside of St. Louis, in Illinois) in Oct 96. Good experience in buying it. Do not think I will ever buy another new car as these Saturns are just too much fun to work on.

I did overhaul the engine at 125k. Effect of letting my daughter drive it for a few months (not in my local area). The usual cause - low oil = spun bearing. Expect to keep it to at least 300K+.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo
i specially ordered my 2001 sc2 fully equipped in may 2000 & it was done by the end of the month. it was on the showroom floor covered with balloons & it had a message on it: welcome to the saturn family or something like that. i still have the pics of all that. i have myself in pics with my sales person standing next to the car. to this day, she always sends me cards in the mail. she's real nice. i don't know if they still do stuff like that anymore though. do they?? anyway, it was exciting to pick up my first new car! i'm going to keep this car until the wheels fall off it. this car is special to me because i'm the only person who owned it, & i want to see how long i can keep it in prestige condition. my other cars i owned in the past were always used. anyway, my car's sitting in a heated garage right now drying off after i gave her a bath! tomorrow whe goes in for service to have that troublesome top engine mount replaced & a vibration damper kit installed for good measure. only the best for my baby! i hate to leave my car anywhere i'm not! anybody else crazy like me?? to this day, the car only has 22,000 miles on it. it's fully equipped with every option in the book except aluminum wheels. i hate the way they always start to pit under the clearcoat when it starts to break own. i always liked steel wheels with wheel covers. in the past, i loved steel rally wheels with stainless steel trim rings & caps like on the old muscle cars!
So you have had your car for almost 6 years and have only run 22,000 miles? I really don't think you needed to worry about the wheels breaking down if you average less than 4,000 miles a year. My wheels still look awesome 7.5 years and 100,000 miles later.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

I bought my 98 Sl2 new. It was love at first sight. Today she has 178,000 miles on her and runs very well. Like everyone else replying here I want to keep this car running for as long as possible.
The people at our dealership did a "launch" with us and were just great.
The car was ready as promised and I never had to bring it back for anything
but regular maintenance. I enjoy the car so much because it has been
extremely reliable and after all this time has no rust and looks great.
Just recently I bought a used SL for my Wife and now she has a sister!
I've got my dog sitting with me next to my SL2 and my Wife is next to her
SL.
Check it out:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

97SC1 bought new in early 97.
Driven by both my daughters to high school and college.
3 corners banged up and repaired by me.
126,000 miles
Still runs as good as new, IMHO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
txaginid
txaginid is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I bought my first Saturn (which was also my first new car) from Saturn of Irving (TX). It was a 92 SL2. GREAT car drove it for 12 years and 125K miles, it never one broke down on me in all that time. I do remember when I went in for my first few oil changes, they had no cars on the lot except the ones to test drive. If you wanted one then you had to order it. I got lucky and got one right off the truck. Glad I did not wait for their inventory to be so low or I might of never bought.
2 years ago in March, I bought my 04' AWD V6 Vue new off the lot of Saturn of Boise. Lovin it. Had to get its first emission done today, passed with flying colors.
Was treated well at both retailers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to txaginid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help txaginid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
txaginid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

redkees, I want that color! what is that?

i thought copper was only available on the '96 SL1s. at least that's what that color looks like!

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop
So you have had your car for almost 6 years and have only run 22,000 miles? I really don't think you needed to worry about the wheels breaking down if you average less than 4,000 miles a year. My wheels still look awesome 7.5 years and 100,000 miles later.
it's a hit or miss thing with those aluminum wheels. a lot of them look good for a while, but some tend to have develop cracked clear coat's & then the dreaded salt gets under the clear coat causing spotting & pitting. the way i look at it, the steel wheels always look good. if i mess up a wheel cover, i just replace it for a new looking wheel look. if you say... scrub a curb with an aluminum wheel, the wheel's ruined. that's the problem with those kind of wheels. i like the wheel covers they used on the 2001 sc2's too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #16
karinhesed86
karinhesed86 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

My parents bought their '02 SL2 new; from what I remember, the buying experience was fine; we took a test drive of several models before finally looking at the SL2--my parents didn't like the guages in the middle that the ION's had, even though they had more leg room in the back. The salesperson we had was great.

2002 SL2 Automaic... going strong at 89,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to karinhesed86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help karinhesed86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
karinhesed86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:30 AM   #17
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinhesed86
My parents bought their '02 SL2 new; from what I remember, the buying experience was fine; we took a test drive of several models before finally looking at the SL2--my parents didn't like the guages in the middle that the ION's had, even though they had more leg room in the back. The salesperson we had was great.
i really never cared for the ion & don't like the guages where they're at in that vehicle. i've been dissapointed ever since they discontinued the sc1 & sc2. speaking of guages, what does saturn have against an oil pressure guage??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #18
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

Wanted a cheap car with A/C, and the best choice at the time was
the "Spring Edition" S series (circa 2002). For under $10k (with CD
player) I couldn't find anything else that would come close... .

Finding one, however, was another matter. Had to check virtually
every dealer within a 50 mi radius until one came up. With a supplier
discount it ended up being about $9600 w/ tax - not bad!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:47 AM   #19
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn
Wanted a cheap car with A/C, and the best choice at the time was
the "Spring Edition" S series (circa 2002). For under $10k (with CD
player) I couldn't find anything else that would come close... .

Finding one, however, was another matter. Had to check virtually
every dealer within a 50 mi radius until one came up. With a supplier
discount it ended up being about $9600 w/ tax - not bad!
how in the hell did you get a price like that? my 01 sc2 costed me around $21,000 with tax, of course it was fully equipped. even the base stripped models were selling around the $13,000-$14,000 range if my memory serves me correctly. if not, you can blame the high comsumption of aspartame over the years that blanked out my memory!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #20
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

my 1992 SC was new when I got it in April 1992. it had like 10 miles on it to be exact. I ordered a black SC but Saturn had some issue with black paint or something so I got a blue green SC instead. someone else ordered it and backed out of the deal or something so I took it. in 1992 Saturn was a novelty and the experience was wonderful. balloons popping, clapping, cheering, picture taking. it was wild. later on they handed out lime kool-aid anyhow for several months or so I was stopped and questioned about it. most folks wanted to know "what kind of car is that?" and "who's makes it?" mine was the first Saturn to get busted for speeding by the MI state police apparently... D'oh. the cop asked me a bunch of questions too. I started carrying Saturn brochures in the pouch on the back of the front seats to hand out to folks. the top answers to questions was:

"it's a Saturn"
"Saturn makes it"
"Saturn is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM"
"no, it's not a Chevy or a Pontiac and doesn't share any parts with them"
"Fram PH3614"
"polymer body panels. steel hood, roof and decklid"
"yes, it's plastic"
"124 MPH"
"TWIN CAM means it's got two overhead cams"
"1.9L 16V DOHC"
"124 HP"
"under 2400 LBS"
"no, it's not a Geo"
"that's the shift up indicator light"
"4000 RPM. 6500 RPM. 6750 RPM"

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote