SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2000, 07:41 PM   #1
saturn_guy
saturn_guy is on a distinguished road

Default lack of power

there are many internal differences between a 98 and a 99 engine . the only visible one in the size of the cam cover(the black cover with the twin cam on it) the 99 cam cover is smaller than the 98 one. also in 98 they had comformed to the tough california clean air standards, thusly you got less gas mileage and less power . in the 99 engine reworked the engine to give the same emitions but more power and better gas mileage. if you drive a 00 saturn they even went one step further. it would make your 99 seem slow by comparison.as for your 98 it has 50,000 miles on it has it had all of its services done on it . it is getting near time to change the fuel filter,is the air filter dirty,how old are the spark plugs? these are many things which can lead to a lack of power. lastly i would try what i call a three can cleaning. find a shop that uses BG chemicals. the three can cleaning is a fuel injector cleaner ,throttle body cleaner, and induction srevice. saturns are know for there carbon build up and this service cleans all of that out. i did this service on my 93 sl2 with 150,000 miles on it and it brought my acceleration back to like new. but lastly 98 are slower than 99 only because of the california emitions. hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2000, 05:17 PM   #2
eddie

thanks for your info. it was only a few days ago i discovered the 98 and 99 are internally different. then went on net and found old ads for the 98 sl2 (when new) and saw where the 98 is rated lower in mpg than the 99. my mistake is when i first saw the 98 and decided to buy it on the salesman info that the motors were alike (having already driven and liking the 99).

and yes, plan to have the intake cleaned out. saturn of norfolk, va has an $89.95 treatment that cleans intake manifold, injectors and combustion chamber (so they say?).

i did drive a 2000 sl2, and yes it was FAST and peppy. did not get to drive enough to see what mpg i would get.

the tech said my motor is using too much oil, and should be rebuilt. it is under warrenty, and i hope satrun does it without any hassels. joked to tech about just going ahead and dropping in a 1999 motor in my 98. said he did not think it would work. oh well, it mine gets rebuilt, i can live with that. thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eddie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eddie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 05-11-2000, 11:15 PM   #3
saturn_guy
saturn_guy is on a distinguished road

how much oil are you burning? if you drive these cars hard it is not unusal to burn a quart of oil in 1500 miles. if you can get it rebuilt though go for it!! my old 93 saturn with 160,000 miles on was burning oil a little bit and after i did the induction service on it it didnt burn hardly any at all. for $89.95 it sound like they are going to be using saturn top engine cleaner. and it is a good price at my dealer ship we do that srevice and we also use bg three can service and our charge is i think 109.95 so its a good deal.but if you can get a rebuild go for it if not the top engine cleaner might also help you.2000 saturns get great gass mileage if you getthe stick sl2 you will not get anything less than 30 mpg we had one customer come in and tell us that she got 49 mpg on a long trip she went on. i one time in my 93 got 42 but thatwas a trip which i never stoped. its possible but it might have been on a sl1 too anyway hope you are happy with your saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread