SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 07:47 PM   #1
LWZen
LWZen is on a distinguished road

Default Noise on Cold start

I went yesterday to test drive a L200 with a 5 speed manual. When I cranked it up it made a horrible sound. Loud clacking noise that sounded like the AC compressor engaging roughly. The AC was on and the car had 8 miles on the odometer. The salesman said it was normal on the first cranks from the factory but goes away with time. I told him that made me have reservations. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

The car drove great and I will be ordering the following car this Saturday:

Silver on Grey LW200
Manual
Alloy wheels
foglamps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LWZen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LWZen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2001, 07:59 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Noise on Cold start

Quote:
Originally posted by Lw200Stick
Loud clacking noise that sounded like the AC compressor engaging roughly. The AC was on and the car had 8 miles on the odometer. The salesman said it was normal on the first cranks from the factory but goes away with time.
I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like a real pile of fertilizer that the salesman is trying to pawn off on you. There is no reason why such a noise would be acceptable - unreal.

Is whatever is loose supposed to mysteriously tighten up with time?? Or does the noise stop when the part falls off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2001, 08:05 PM   #3
LWZen

Quote:
I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like a real pile of fertilizer that the salesman is trying to pawn off on you. There is no reason why such a noise would be acceptable - unreal.
I agree. I am sure it is not a single car issue because I heard the same noise on a LW200 automatic I test drove last month. When I test drove that car I turned it off and on 3 sperate times and never could repeat the sound.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LWZen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2001, 07:09 AM   #4
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

If I remember correctly, I think there was already a thread about this earlier, if you care to search for it in the Tech Section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2001, 10:48 AM   #5
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

My 2001 LW200 auto never made that sound on startup with the A/C on. I got it with 8km (5miles) on it so it wasn't broken in or anything. Are these all 2002's with that sound or did the old thread in tech. talk refer to older ones?

OTOH, I have once now experienced the rough idle problem with no A/C turned on. Must be the weather. I'm going to mention it at my oil change next week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 12:21 AM   #6
SaturnBeliever
SaturnBeliever is on a distinguished road

I agree.. whatever that response was from the Sales Consultant sounds like a load of horsecrap to me too. That noise doesn't go away with time...

Correct me please if I am wrong... techs? I was always told that was the "purge solenoid" engaging. It's an emissions thing so they say. It only engages on cold starts.

We move alot of L cars on the lot from day to day... and I always hear that sound on "cold starts". It only lasts for maybe 2-3 seconds, then it's over.

If I'm wrong, which has been know to happen..... Please.. someone else out there who knows exactly what this is, clue us in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnBeliever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnBeliever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 08:40 AM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The noise caused by the purge solinoid is a clicking noise in cold weather. Lasts for about 5 minutes. They changed it for me still happens

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2001, 06:22 PM   #8
jmatero
Advanced Member
jmatero is on a distinguished road

Default OH MY GOD......

You know, I went to look at the L200/LW200's yesterday and drove three of the L-cars... all were cold and when he started up the 5-speed L200, as soon as the engine started, it sounded like for a brief second the starter was grinding or something. I wrote it off as a lemon but when we started up the LW200 auto right next to it, the SAME thing happened.... HOWEVER I noticed something that really bothered me: the oil light seemed to take a sec or two to shut off in both cars when starting up.... and as soon as they went out, the noise stopped. I was INSTANTLY reminded of a similar problem with my Dad's old K-Car with 2.2 engine: The cars had weak check-valves in the oil filter line that allowed the oil to seem back into the pan so when the car started back up the next morning, the pump had to prime and you heard the "crashing" of the engine for a second until the oil got to the top end (cam).

It was a total turn off and I was all set to go 4-cyl on the L-series. Now I'm really nervous because today I went to another dealer in NJ and the LW200 AT there did the SAME thing when it started up. However, subsequent starts were fine. I'd like to hear it started up tomorrow to see if the same thing happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmatero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmatero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2001, 11:06 AM   #9
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Have an LS 4 cyl built 12/99. Never any noise or oil light lagging since I bought it. Only tapping was the EGR solenoid in very cold weather.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2001, 11:21 AM   #10
LWZen

So the question is not if it happens but what is it? Are all these starts people talking with the AC on or off? And if it is with it off is it a problem that should keep me from buying the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2001, 12:20 PM   #11
Harry
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

For starters (pun not intended) you have a 30 day money back guarantee with a Saturn. If it still makes the noise 2 weeks after you buy it, return it scot free!

Next, I haven't seen any sort of starter related Technical Service Bulletins. They are there for very minor things like wiper blades skipping so I'd think if there was a common problem with the starter, it would have its own TSB by now.

Third, thinking back now there was a little chirp when I started the car for the first day or maybe a couple when I had it but I thought nothing of it and that was 6 months ago so I totally forgot about it when this thread started. If it was much of a noise in the first place it has been gone for so long that I don't even remember it. During summer we often left the A/C on for starts and I don't recall it happening then, at least by the time the hot weather hit. Even now, we often start it with the defog setting on, which uses the A/C compressor to dry out the air (works great!) and I don't notice the chirp now. It must have disappeared fast because I almost forgot about it completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2001, 12:07 AM   #12
Harry
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

To follow up an earlier post, I mentioned the low/rough idle to my service rep when I took my car in for 6-month service. They recalibrated the PCM and it now purrs like a kitten once again! I didn't have to mention any TSBs or anything, and didn't get any sort of "that's normal" story so I'm happy with the techs here.

They also checked the rim my wife used to go over a curb and it isn't bent and didn't go out of balance. Strong rims! Now the only trouble is my wife thinks she can take curbs any time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread