SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
hyteccwby
hyteccwby is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
Default DVD Player Problems, Noise

Im just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

When I play DVDs I hear engine noise in the speakers, when I hit the gas I can hear the engine noise in the speakers, when I get off the gas it goes away. The harder I hit the gas and at higher speeds, the louder it gets. When I travel doing 70 mph and holding the gas or cruise control I hear the constant noise, of course the noise is louder cruising at 70 than at 25. I have brought my Saturn to the dealer in Daytona two times (actually three but they needed to verify the noise before they ordered a new DVD player) for the fix. First time they replaced the Radio and told me it was fixed, I picked it up and as I'm leaving I hear the noise again. So I bring it back later after calling the service department with my dissatisfaction. So I made an appointment for another visit, the told me to bring it by. Gullible me thinks they are going to fix it, nope just wanted to hear the noise so they can order a new DVD player (did I mention I live 35 miles to the dealership, closest dealer). So I bring it back when the DVD player came in, they put it in and told me it was fixed, sure as shootin when I picked it up guess what, The noise was back and now I hear the engine noise just when the relay is at idle and of course when I hit the gas. So I call the dealer and again they told me to bring it back, so I called Saturn Corporate (there customer service) where they told me they don't want me to bring it back in until they have a cure for the problem, there technical team or something is going to work on a solution.

Personally I feel that they know if I bring it back in for the third fix and they cant fix it then they know I will Apply the lemon law to it and give them one more fix or they have to give me a new relay. I love my Saturn Relay, The wife loves it, and the kids definitely love it. But after watching bambi for the 50th time and hearing nothing but engine noise coming out of the speaker along with thumper, it will drive a man crazy. Saturn has called me ever week to let me know they are still working on it. Should I bring it back to the dealer and just enact the lemon law when they cant fix it?

Also on the power sliding door on the passenger side, I opened it and it ripped off the black bottom molding behind the door in front of the rear wheel well.

I spoke to a Uplander owner and she informed me that her DVD player does the same thing.

Is there anyone else out there with this problem or am I and the uplander lady the only ones?

Still a Saturn FAN Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hyteccwby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hyteccwby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: DVD Player Problems, Noise

Dude, we need more detail to help you out.

Please stop leaving such small posts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
hyteccwby

2005 RELAY-2

Ill shorten up next time..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hyteccwby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
NewToSaturn2
NewToSaturn2 is on a distinguished road

I've been driving my Relay 3 now for about 2 weeks and have not had this problem at all. The DVD sound is crystal clear, no engine noise. Sorry for your trouble, I know it is a pain in the rump. Don't feel bad - I've got the flickering head/dash light situation going on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NewToSaturn2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NewToSaturn2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Ken A
Ken A is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Don`t feel alone..my Relay is going in on Monday for the exact issue, static buzzing through speakers in DVD mode in conjunction with engine speed, also whining whistle from under hood, this is what i believe just an extension of the Flickering Lights/Alternator issue..your moulding issue is another conumdrum of Quality...I was told the "tape" is failing and your moulding is getting caught by the door almost snagged mine with a manual door..hope this isn`t flagrant abuse, or bashing just trying to see who is on the same team here and maybe get some help as a hole, cause Gm sure isn`t tryin?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken A's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken A reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:29 PM   #6
Natedogg
Natedogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken A
Don`t feel alone..my Relay is going in on Monday for the exact issue, static buzzing through speakers in DVD mode in conjunction with engine speed, also whining whistle from under hood, this is what i believe just an extension of the Flickering Lights/Alternator issue..your moulding issue is another conumdrum of Quality...I was told the "tape" is failing and your moulding is getting caught by the door almost snagged mine with a manual door..hope this isn`t flagrant abuse, or bashing just trying to see who is on the same team here and maybe get some help as a hole, cause Gm sure isn`t tryin?
Let us know how it goes. I haven't taken my SV6 in yet because I know the dealers have been clueless on the problems with this platform. I have all of these issues plus some.

Nate

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Natedogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Natedogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
hyteccwby

2005 RELAY-2

Im glad to hear im not the only one with the noise problem. The only advice and I can give you, before you leave make sure the problem is fixed, ride around with the service wrighter before you leave.

when I hit the door to open it got stuck than just opened and the black molding was ripped off. I couldnt belive it.

Definetly let me know what they tell you about the DVD player noise. I am curious if they tell you they are working on a solution to the problem.

Dave

PS the lights do flicker and when i brought it in for the DVD player I mentioned it and they told me they are working on it. They gave me a saturn loaner and it did the same thing. I belive it was the LS300 or something like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
hjohnson
hjohnson is on a distinguished road

Hi all, my wife and I just bought a 2005 Relay 3. Based on advice from this forum we watched for the flickering dashboard lights - it had them, and listened for the buzzing noise when playing a DVD and hitting the accelerator - that was present too. Brought it to the attention of the dealer and they were able to fix both problems by replacing the alternator and running an extra ground wire. According to the tech we talked to, Saturn is still working on the problem but people have had some success with these fixes - it certainly seemed to work for us. Thanks to everybody who posted regarding this issue so I could go in to the dealership being a more informed consumer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hjohnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hjohnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
SCAC1980
SCAC1980 is on a distinguished road

The static over the speaker with the DVD player is a common problem with the Relay. Saturn is working on a way to fix it. As of now there isn't much that can be done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCAC1980's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCAC1980 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
nismopc
nismopc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAC1980
The static over the speaker with the DVD player is a common problem with the Relay. Saturn is working on a way to fix it. As of now there isn't much that can be done.
We'll see about that. The TSB for the alternator supposedly also takes care of the engine noise in the speakers. Since the regulator apparently is not "regulating" the volts correctly, it is creating the whining.

Not positive on that but I am sure I can let all of you know on Monday. We are getting our Relay back then after extensive repairs.

See here:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52759

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nismopc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nismopc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
jheap99
jheap99 is on a distinguished road

I also had the DVD noise problems...however, I later had more major problems...There were a couple of times when I would get nothing out of the radio, that then evolved into problems with all of the gauges. The digital readouts in the dash would read wrong messages, then everything electrical stopped working, including blinkers and the keyless entry. I brought it to the dealership and they kept it over a week. When I got it back they said they replaced the computer and the alternator. Since I've gotten it back, I haven't had any problems, and the DVD noise problem seems to be better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jheap99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jheap99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #12
preduck
preduck is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Something similar happened to me in my Ion except it was just with a after market cd player. As I understand, all he did was ground it again and replaced some noise reducer thing. Not sure what it was. Didn't have any problems since they did that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to preduck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help preduck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:04 AM   #13
Natedogg
Natedogg is on a distinguished road

My SV6 makes the DVD noise too, as well as having about 50 other problems. I hear the alternator fix for the flickering lights solves the DVD noise, but I'm not sure.

Nate

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Natedogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Natedogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #14
bama
bama is on a distinguished road

My Relay has the light flickering issue. My wife brought it in for an oil change and mentioned the problem. They told her that was normal and it was supposed to do that

Last edited by bama; 06-16-2005 at 09:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bama's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bama reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
hyteccwby

2005 RELAY-2

Ok, latest update. DVD Noise still there. They replaced the alternator on Friday to solve the headlight flicker. Havent driven it at night much, but when I did I did not notice any flicker.

But that darn DVD noise is still there. Satrun has told me they are working on a fix, this is months ago. Still nothing? Anyone else out there ever get the cure or know of a cure coming soon?

Saturn Fan going Nuts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2005, 10:22 AM   #16
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I second hjohnson's suggestion. The noise is from your ground wire. Run a new, isolated, shielded ground wire from the DVD/radio system to the battery or a ground splice near the battery. Also consider a line noise filter.

In the audio world noisy grounds are very common.

I'm not sure if the dealer will want to do this, since it's not a "Saturn-approved" procedure. But I'm almost certain it will solve the problem.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 AM   #17
BigBubba
BigBubba is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Ok so yes getting an alternator that has a higher output than 96amps (Saturn Stock) you will notice a big difference also doing what we call in the car audio world the 'Big Three' but it'll be the 'Big Two' cause the batt's in the back..... the alternator wires and the battery ground is the best way to go..... also as was mentioned by spencer the ground could be a big thing.... make sure that it's metal to metal contact for the ground and the audio wires... in this case it might be RF modulated (the dvd player transmits fm radio signal) if it's not and it's hardwired the audio might be too close to the power and pickin the noise up.....

Mods......
AEM CAI
Powerslot Slotted Rotors and Raysbestos ceramic coated pads
18x7.5 Motegi RT5's and Yokohama Perada Spec 2 225/40ZR's
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
calsurfn
calsurfn is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a 2005 Relay 3 and was driving it noise free for the first two months. The DVD sound now makes a hiss when accelerating the engine. Sounds like the problem is being investigated by Saturn. I'll be looking forward to a fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to calsurfn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help calsurfn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #19
josephlevin
josephlevin is on a distinguished road

I bought a Relay some 2 weeks ago. Noticed static/buzzing on acceleration when the DVD is being played.

Searched on the web, came to this Forum, saw other problems I might be having with the vehicle.

Lo and behold, I did have the dimming/flickering dash, interior, and headlight problem as others have described (I hadn't driven at night so far so hadn't noticed the problem initially).

Also have 1 piece of molding that is coming loose on driver's side adjacent to rear tire. (the small piece of molding).

Well, took it in for repair yesterday and they replaced the alternator and put in some small part in the DVD player. They did not have the molding piece on hand, so I will have them order it prior to my next service.

So far, so good. I can't detect any DVD noise, and the dimming/flickering problem seems to have gone away.

Now I'm hoping nothing else goes wrong as I really, really like this vehicle!

Make sure if any of you have the same problems, mention the TSB's for them-

For DVD Noise on Accelerating -

TSB 05-08-44-023 "INSTALL TRANSFORMER FILTERS"

For Dash and Headlight Flicker -

TSB 05-06-03-003A "REPLACE ALTERNATOR"

I took the TSB #'s directly from off of the work order copy.

I mention the TSB's here as too often people do not mention them when talking about the various issues. Also mention them as the Saturn rep I spoke to on the phone said there was no such TSB for the dash/headlight flicker issue, even though, miraculously it seems there is.

Be prepared to wait a long time for the work, or to get a rental.

I dropped the car off at 7:40 am, waited for it, and didn't get it back until 1 pm. Most of the time was due to the DVD fix.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited by josephlevin; 08-31-2005 at 12:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to josephlevin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help josephlevin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
yensid
yensid is on a distinguished road

I figured out why no one has the TSBs. I brought our Relay in for the dimming dash lights and the DVD noise problem. They couldn't find it either. This forum was very valuable for folks getting the correct TSBs.

Turns out our Saturn dealer had not done a download of the latest TSBs to their system. Once they did that, they had all the info they need and ordered the correct parts.

FYI to everybody.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yensid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yensid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread