SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member
EnglishSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default '92 SL2 wheel alignment

I skidded on ice today in my 1992 SL2. Fortunately I managed to avoid hitting any parked cars... However, I did slide into the kerb, putting my wheel alignment (or "tracking") out.

Does anyone know, or know where I can get hold of, the figures relating wheel alignment so I can have this rectified?

Should the front wheels be set perfectly parallel or should they be set pointing slightly inwards or outwards?

Thanks!

*Simon*

1993 Volkswagen Golf GTI. No Saturn at the moment, but one day, hopefully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnglishSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnglishSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Spiral
Spiral is on a distinguished road

Default Re: '92 SL2 wheel alignment

Personally I would take it to a shop, for around $60-80 you can get a front end alignment, well worth it. But on another note a good chance you could have shifted something or bent the sub-frame, the saturn frames arent that strong =(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spiral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spiral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member

I took the car to a shop..... Not having the correct figures handy for my car (as Saturns aren't sold here) they took an educated guess and set the wheels so they are completely parallel. It appears to drive OK like that, but I want to be sure that the wheels are aligned correctly. For that I need the correct figures. It would also be handy to know whether they should actually be parallel or not.

If I have the figures I can go back to the shop and have them set exactly as they should be.

i would hope I haven't bent the sub-frame... It was a very low speed hit - about 10mph.

*Simon*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EnglishSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Take it to another shop. Any good alignment machine is not vehicle specific. It is loaded with all of the information relating to just about any car on the road. I can align anything from my '79 VW Bus to a Ferrari on the alignment rack in our shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Spiral
Spiral is on a distinguished road

Take it to a different shop, the shop I worked at had a alignment rack and all the specifications were loaded on the computer and the tolerances.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spiral's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spiral reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Definately take it to a different shop.
Sears does my alignment, $60 plus tax.
Do not get a front end alignment, get a 4 wheel alignment.
The back of the car is easily adjustable, and shouldn't require shims.
When they aligned my car, they set the adjustments based upon the fact that there is only one person in the car, for best tire wear and handling in that situation. (since, these cars are usually used for commuting with 1 person inside)

Oh, sorry, just saw that you are from england.
Ok, I'm stumped......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
Take it to another shop. Any good alignment machine is not vehicle specific. It is loaded with all of the information relating to just about any car on the road. I can align anything from my '79 VW Bus to a Ferrari on the alignment rack in our shop.
So do the machines have the correct information for ALL cars on them? I suspect that they might have data for all cars sold in that particular country but I'm doubtful that the machines in the UK have data for ALL types of car including US-market cars like mine. If they would hold data for my car though, that would be great!

On the alignment rack in your shop, could you align a Renault Megane or an Opel Zafira, for example?

*Simon*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread