SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 02:21 PM   #1
BillyBob
BillyBob is on a distinguished road

Default Headlight Wiring

I've just replaced the headlights on my '95 SC2 with Bosch E-Code and 100/80W H4's, and am trying to figure out how to wire the new relays into the existing switch/dimmer. Saturn wiring is not what I expected, in that +12V runs directly to the headlights (thru a fuse) and the switch/dimmer closes the circuit on the negative side. What complicates things is that the headlight door circuit is thrown in somewhere along the line.

The double relay I'm using has a common ground, and I've tested the new wiring and lights by jumping the relays from the positive terminal of the battery. Do I need isolated ground relays, (2 terminals per relay) and how do I keep the door circuit? I guess another option is to just use the existing wiring with the 100W bulbs, but I was concerned about some of the comments I've read on this site about noticeably warm switches, apparently with the stock headlights. Anyone successfully using 100W bulbs with the stock wiring?

BTW, for those of you lucky enough to have '96 or older SC2's, this conversion makes a huge difference in light output and beam pattern. Easily the best lights I've had on any of my cars.

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BillyBob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BillyBob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2000, 11:03 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Try using the relays with a battery source to power the lights with the factory wiring to trigger the relays. It could be a tricky fix. This way you can probably leave the pop up headlamp function the way it is. I've never seen anyone do this so good luck and use commom sense to wire it up. Also fuse the hell out of all the power wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2000, 12:19 AM   #3
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Use the leads that go to the headlights themselves to trigger the relays. Then use 10 guage wire on the high current side of the relays. That way when you turn on the lights the power from the headlight wiring will activate the relays and let the power flow without screwing with the headlight door electricals.

Suggestion. Take your high current side power directly from the alternator. This will greatly increase your lights output.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread