SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
da_fizz
da_fizz is on a distinguished road

Post engine swap

hey i was wondering if anyone knew if a 2001 1.9 sohc would swap into a 1991 SL1 w/ a 1.9 sohc. thx for any input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to da_fizz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help da_fizz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
99GreenSC1
Advanced Member
99GreenSC1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: engine swap

as far as i know it would without any modification (i think all years are interchangeable, but why stick with sohc?). you might as well swap a dohc engine and trans into it..

do searches though...you can answer anything by searching...there's no need for questions to come up many many times...also go to www.turbosaturns.net they have a lot more about this stuff.

07 Cobalt LS 4 door - Ultra Silver - Auto - 35% tint - Injen intake - ARK short antenna - ARK FSTB - MTX X Thunderlink - Eibach Sportlines - Debadged

Wife's DD: 07 Aura XR w/ Moroccan Brown Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99GreenSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 AM   #3
LUNCHBOX
LUNCHBOX will become famous soon enough

1993 SW2
1993 SC1

Physically, yes the engine would swap in with little trouble (except for changing to the Torque Axis Mount, that all years but '91 have but it's not hard either). The problem you will have is with the computer. They are not interchangable. I just finished a 95 SOHC to DOHC swap (in a friends car) and we swapped out the old computer and harness to the new one.

I am sure there are some other small things that you will have to overcome but the computer is the biggest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LUNCHBOX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LUNCHBOX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
DominanceSDA
DominanceSDA is on a distinguished road

1992 SC2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX
Physically, yes the engine would swap in with little trouble (except for changing to the Torque Axis Mount, that all years but '91 have but it's not hard either). The problem you will have is with the computer. They are not interchangable. I just finished a 95 SOHC to DOHC swap (in a friends car) and we swapped out the old computer and harness to the new one.

I am sure there are some other small things that you will have to overcome but the computer is the biggest.
Very true, older SOHC used TBI injection, newer uses seqential fuel injection, you'll have to swap your computer and wiring harness among some other small stuff.

Mind as well just swap in a DOHC, if your going thru the trouble.

Saturn Performance Parts and More:

www.StreetDesignAuto.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DominanceSDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DominanceSDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_fizz
hey i was wondering if anyone knew if a 2001 1.9 sohc would swap into a 1991 SL1 w/ a 1.9 sohc. thx for any input.
The exhaust manifold gaskets are different. Make sure you get the manifold that came with it. The 2000+ are 9 bolt, where as the 99 are 8 bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread