SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
hc803
hc803 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default Bigger tires for my SW2?

about 6 months ago, i had one of the original Firestone tires on my '97 SW2 blow out (not a lawsuit series, unfortunately) and replaced it with a Uniroyal of the same size...

i know the factory recommended size for my car is 185/65/15, and was thinking of getting the remaining 3 tires replaced. my question is whether anyone has put on bigger tires instead of the norm? i want to get a little farther up off the ground (i'm 6'2" and falling into/crawling out of the door gets a little old sometimes). or any other heightening techniques?

guess this post is a little strange, since most people want to lower their car.

thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hc803's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hc803 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2
Default Re: Bigger tires for my SW2?

you can't really put in a taller tire. Sears (and most places should follow this) will only let you deviate from the OE specs by a small %. Everyone says to put 205/55/15's to replace, but sears wouldn't let me and I could only get 205/60/15 because of the difference. (whatever, same width, wider is better) If you just bring in the wheels (car detached) they can put whatever you please on.

for height, jack the suspension so you can put swampers on. It would be different. lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

205/60R15.

You wont have any problems. I had that size on my sc2 for a LONG time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

hc803:
Yes, you can always put wider rubber on the car but the diameter of the tire MUST NOT deviate too much. Even just 1% difference in your tire's diameter will make your speedometer goes weirdo (Hint: Caught speeding all the time).....you really don't want to do that.

If you really want to raise the car a bit, put on taller springs which will fit on Saturn's struts. Yea, it's really strange for this raise-mod as most people like to Lower instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
RadioRon
RadioRon is on a distinguished road

One of your eight-year-old tires blew six months ago and you are still riding around on the other three? I would hurry to replace them before another blow out occurs. I am about your height also and can empathise with the problems in crawling in and out of my SW 2. I doubt that a tire a fraction of an inch taller would help either of us. (Although the deeper, fresh tread of a new tire couldn't hurt....there would be another fraction of an inch for you!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RadioRon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RadioRon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread