SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
Wakeboardb
Wakeboardb is on a distinguished road

Default Speaker installation in 1994 SL2

I was hoping to find out how to install speakers in my SL2. Im not sure if i should just pull off the panel on the front door to expose the speakers or what. I think the rear speakers are hopefully easy to install though.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wakeboardb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wakeboardb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
coreyxh
coreyxh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Speaker installation in 1994 SL2

just put something inbetween the panel and the cover over the speaker and pry it out. youll need a torx bit to take the speaker out of its housing i believe. if you cant do that then put a flathead inbetween the holes in the speaker cover torwards the edges and pry it out. it should come out easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coreyxh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coreyxh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
Saturnaddict
Saturnaddict is on a distinguished road

The front speakers, if your car's anything like mine (94sl1), are the least of your worries. The rear speakers are way harder to get at. First you have to put down the rear seats. Then you take out the rectangular shaped pads on the sides of the rear seats. Then you've gotta take out the coat hangers above the doors and the plastic panels up there as well. i just kinda pulled out the plastic seat belt holder. (Somebody know how to do this better?). then you've gotta take out the whole cover that covers the rear speaker deck area. after this you've gotta just mess around with getting the old ones out, wiring the new ones in, and putting it all back together again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnaddict's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnaddict reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnaddict
The rear speakers are way harder to get at. First you have to put down the rear seats. Then you take out the rectangular shaped pads on the sides of the rear seats. Then you've gotta take out the coat hangers above the doors and the plastic panels up there as well. i just kinda pulled out the plastic seat belt holder. (Somebody know how to do this better?). then you've gotta take out the whole cover that covers the rear speaker deck area. after this you've gotta just mess around with getting the old ones out, wiring the new ones in, and putting it all back together again.
I don't remember doing any of that on mine (96 SL2). I think I just bolted mine in from the bottom. Course that was 8 years ago, and my memory may be fading.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

To remove the front speaker covers you can get two stiff paper clips and bend them to a hook and hook it onto the cover and pull it off. That way it doesn't break.

It's not that hard to take off the rear deck area. I've removed mine a dozen times. All you really have to do is bend it a little to get it out from under the panels. No need to remove those. For the rear speakers, the hardest thing is screwing them in cuz of the rear window.

Now the best way to get your speakers back in and steady is the problem. Re-using the old plastic screws/retainers is not a great idea. Half of the time they don't even fit back in right (mine never did). So you will need speaker screw clips (usually come with most aftermarket speakers). I actually drilled a few new holes in the doors.

My MAIN problem was that my new speaker was a little too deep and when the window was rolled down all the way it would kit the back of the speaker. I solved this w/ under a 1/4" of dynamat all around it. Works great.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread