SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default front end alignment questions?

I got a 92 sc DOHC, the front tires seem to be wearing on the outside edges, like they are riding on the edge, now, as far as i know, the only adjustment on these cars is the tie rod ends, but that wont angle the tires so the rest flat on the ground instead of riding on the edge?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
austin71184
austin71184 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: front end alignment questions?

sounds like your camber is off. This can be adjusted by eccentric cam bolts on the strut. Your right in that a toe adjustment will do nothing to solve your present wear, as toe will generally not affect tire wear, although it can offset the steering wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to austin71184's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help austin71184 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

TOE will affect overall FRONT tire wear and result in a car that pulls to one side or the other when travelling on a level surface. CASTER/CAMBER will affect tire where also, either on the outside or inside "edge" of the tires. Caster/camber IS adjustable at the strut to knuckle attaching points. Cater/camber adjustments are best left to an alignment shop. Have the car aligned and YES spring the extra few bucks for a 4 wheel alignment.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
austin71184
austin71184 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Generally when looking at a tire though i never point out somthing as being a "toe" problem. Although I do agree that tire wear is deffinately affected. But then again compared to the infamous wolfman..........i am still a grasshopper. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to austin71184's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help austin71184 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Like wolfman said, a whacked toe setting can wear tires pretty fast. If you had extreme toe in (front of right and lieft tires closer to each other than the rears of the tires) then this would cause rapid outside wear. My camber is set to -1.5* with 0* toe and the tires aren't wearing too bad- inside edge actually has more tread than the outside which is a result of lots of autoxing. I'm going to add more negative camber to help gain traction in hard cornering.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

my front tires are toed OUT (for autocrossing) and yes you will scrub the tires away faster. my anti-stock settings are slightly toe OUT front, zero toe rear, -2.0* camber front, -1.5* camber rear, max castor front (+2). I used to run more negative camber, like -2.25* front and -2.0* rear but it really bevels the tires so i toned down a bit. when I have my alignment done, the techs ask me two or three times if I'm sure that I really want it set like that...

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread