SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
RexSpeed
RexSpeed is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Rear speaker removal, 1st gen.

I bought some new speakers over the weekend thinking they'd be a snap to install. Turns out the factory grilles need to come off to do the job. So how do you get those blankety-blank lock rings off the plastic pegs without breaking them? I want to keep my factory speaker grilles but can't them off without risking the pegs breaking. Help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RexSpeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RexSpeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
71_307
71_307 is on a distinguished road

there is a way but i just dont no how.. i jsut ripped it out nicely and placed it back.. so its not really held in there tight but it doesnt rattel or anything..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 71_307's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 71_307 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 PM   #3
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

take off the back cardboard thingy on top(if its like the 2nd gen) there should be little plastic screws in the front behind the seats, just push from the other side till they start to pop out, then get pliers or sumptin to fit in and pull em out...then bolts for the grills are under the back shelf

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
RexSpeed

1994 SL2

Tried that, the grilles aren't bolted in though. They have pegs molded in and are held to the parcel shelf with little one-way washer-lock thingies.

If it were 1994 and I had to have the dealer replace a speaker, how would they do it? Anyone? Anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RexSpeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
M.Nguyen
M.Nguyen is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1993 SL2

you've gotta remove the whole rear deck. You cannot just pull out the speaker grills and put the speakers in.

Fold your seat down. then remove the two plastic pieces behind the cusion that holds the rear deck. Then push up in the center.
pull out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M.Nguyen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M.Nguyen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:05 PM   #6
lilcraigford
lilcraigford is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by M.Nguyen
you've gotta remove the whole rear deck. You cannot just pull out the speaker grills and put the speakers in.

Fold your seat down. then remove the two plastic pieces behind the cusion that holds the rear deck. Then push up in the center.
pull out.
On my 1994 I also had to remove rear pillars, they overlapped the "speaker deck" (wasn't a big deal though, they're just clipped in). Then I just removed the plastic pins with a screwdriver, slipped the seat-belts through the slots and lifted the piece up and out of place.

'94 SL2: The Detail Junky (Will it ever run? Does it even exist?)
'95 SW2: The Daily Junky 3 (380k Champion)

http://thedetailjunky.blogspot.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilcraigford's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilcraigford reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

On your back, rear seats laid down, wiggle and turn the metal sped nuts off the plastic grill studs, then lift the rear speaker grills off the top of the rear package shelf. The speed nuts BOTH retain the grills AND the speakers.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

I got my deck off without removing the pillar trim by just forcing it out. It took me about 5 minutes to take it out and put it back in. Installing the speakers and baffles was actually harder than removing the deck. I have a '95 SL1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:03 AM   #9
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

I cut them off. You can buy the nuts at auto zone for like a nickel each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:50 AM   #10
ParisTom
ParisTom is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

I just destroyed mine, chances are the grilles that come with your new speakers are nicer anyways. Plus, if they're 2+ way you might have an issue with clearance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ParisTom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ParisTom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I cut them off and used my speaker grilles.

My G1 with the Infinity and Alpine grilles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:18 PM   #12
epicdori
epicdori is on a distinguished road

I kept my factory grills because even though I have almost limo tint, theft is always a big problem. For the same reason, I did not dash mount my removable tweeters. If someone can look in and see somehing aftermarket, then they may decide it is worth the effort to break in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to epicdori's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help epicdori reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 PM   #13
RexSpeed

1994 SL2

Exactly the reason I wanted to salvage my OEM grilles; stealth. I did manage to save them. It took me a little time and a lot of swearing, but I got all 6 of those stupid lock rings off and only broke one peg.

Now if I can only devise a way to re-mount them that won't be such a PITA the next time I need to get them off.

Thanks for all the input

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2004, 07:20 AM   #14
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I just have a two way pager alarm and there are two blinking LED's in my dash, secure enough for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread