SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
IONizedinblack
IONizedinblack is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Ride feels weird/bumpy

When driving at low speeds the suspension feels "bumpy". I cant tell if it iis the road or the suspension. I want to take it in, but I dont want to look like a fool when they tell its just the road. Maybe its air pressure. I dont know. Any possibilities??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONizedinblack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONizedinblack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Well, on my ION1 the air pressure is speced at 30psi in all four tires.
Is this recent, or something from day one?

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
IONizedinblack

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Its been recent. Its hard to tell if it is the feel of the road. But on certain areas that I have driven over before I can tell a difference. I go on a trip on Fri, that is why I am concerned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IONizedinblack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
bobwill

2003 ION-1 Sedan

How many miles? Time of last wheel rotation? Have you checked your pressure? Any major boo boos, that might have affected your alignment?

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
IONizedinblack

2004 ION-2 Sedan

3900 miles. No tire rotation yet. No boo boos. The only thing I can think of, is that in apt complex there are speed bumps, but I dont take them fast at all. I go over them slow like you should. There is no way to "go around them" like some speed bumps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2004, 01:42 AM   #6
bobwill

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Well, you shouldn't be due for a rotation for another 2100 miles. I'd hope nothing would screw up your alignment in less than 4000 miles.
Take 'er on in, haver her checked out what's the worst that can happen, they laugh at you behind your back on every subsequent visit.
Wow! That's my 1001 post!

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2004, 01:57 AM   #7
SpiderWebb
SpiderWebb is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. The ride just doesn't feel right on when I'm on the low speed bumpy roads in my neighborhood. Plus, I hear a clunk near the front passenger side wheel, when going over bumps with that tire. I'm taking it in soon. I've got about 4500 on mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpiderWebb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpiderWebb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:27 AM   #8
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

You could be experiencing nothing more than the inherent effects of the much stiffer platform. Most cars have a fairly flexible chassis where you have quite a bit of twist in the subframes going through the body. The ION's platform is designed not to flex as much. This is a great thing for platform rigidity and handling but on bumpy or undulating roads it can be a very different feeling to the driver. It's something I immediately noticed on my first test drive of an ION but it is what I had expected it to be based upon the publicity of the chassis.

Now if it's doing something that it hadn't done before, you could be looking at a problem like tire pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:36 PM   #9
midlifecrisis
midlifecrisis is on a distinguished road

Lot to say about tire rotation. I have Eibach Springs and they recommend every 3000 miles. So for me, change oil, rotate tires, 40 minutes on a Saturday morning for both. Tires don't even show signs of excessive wear! And my ION QC3 has had the complete front end from the firewall forward rebuilt after an accident. Time Spent = $$$ Saved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midlifecrisis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midlifecrisis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:07 AM   #10
IONizedinblack

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by bobwill
How many miles? Time of last wheel rotation? Have you checked your pressure? Any major boo boos, that might have affected your alignment?
Well bob, it looks like tire pressure could have been the problem. I took it to the dealer before I went on my trip and had a mechanic drive around with me. He did not notice anything wrong with, but as a safety precaution since I was about to drive 180 miles and then let my mom use it for a week, he checked the fluids and tire pressure. It has been running fine ever since. However, my mom backed into a tree while I was on my road trip and now I have a nasty scratch that will need to be fixed on the bumper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread