SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Thumbs Down My brother broke my A/C!

Well, while trying to install my new header (which is turning out to be a far more difficult project than it should be), my brother managed to break my A/C hose, which leaked out all it's fluid. Is there a way to fix it for fairly cheap, or is it a lost cause? Basically, he bent the hose, it bubbled up and burst, and it made hissing noises for about 20 minutes while it was leaking everything out.

My A/C worked beautifully up until today. I'm not too happy about this.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Assuming that the compressor is fine, you should be able to put a new line on and recharge the system. I'm not sure which car is the one in question here, assuming that with the mention of a header though that it is the '93SC2. That will use R-12 as a refrigerant. I don't believe that can be used anymore, so, the car would require conversion to R-134. Not sure what the cost of that would be.

Also, knowing that you spend quite a bit of time in your car for work, I think it is probably something that is worth fixing. You mention a Honda in your sig though as a "pizza delivering machine", so, if your Saturn is going to be an open road cruiser, it may not be worth it. I think getting some costs would be the first step and see what it's worth, and go from there to decide if you feel that it would be worth it.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

The Saturn (yes, I'm talking about the SC2 ... the SL1 hasn't moved in a year now) is my main car. The Honda currently isn't road legal. I'll look into the costs of the conversion, but it sounds like this may be a big "ouch."

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

I thought you could still get R12, its just expense since its supply is dwindling.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

If you look hard enough (and have a big enough wallet), you can still find r-12...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I am assuming this is the 93'... That being the case, the refrigerant you lost was R12. VERY EXPENSIVE and available only to licensed A/C technicians. Now would be a good time to convert to r134a. You'll need to replace the damaged hose, the accumulator dryer, and have the system evacuated professionally. You can then install the r134a fittings and charge the system yourself if you like or (recommended) have the shop that evacuates the system do it for you.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear.

Which hose did he break? The upper or lower?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am assuming this is the 93'... That being the case, the refrigerant you lost was R12. VERY EXPENSIVE and available only to licensed A/C technicians. Now would be a good time to convert to r134a. You'll need to replace the damaged hose, the accumulator dryer, and have the system evacuated professionally. You can then install the r134a fittings and charge the system yourself if you like or (recommended) have the shop that evacuates the system do it for you.
Wolfman and Saturn-Eh are correct... R12 is available only to licensed techs, supply is tight hence it's very expensive. If you have to ask, you can't afford it...

Also agree with having a pro do it.

I'm hoping my 93SL1's a/c holds together for a while yet.

As for your brother... I think he owes you a case of beer assuming the two of you are of age... and a pizza!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2004, 01:04 AM   #9
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I'm underage and can get free pizza from work. Any other suggestions for repayment?

He claims he didn't break it, it broke itself. But it was doing just fine till he bent that hose. I think I'm going to make him pay for the repairs.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #10
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Is that why I got sunburned today? I thought that the ozone layer seemed thinner! .

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:52 AM   #11
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

R-12 is still legal to use in the US. Canada has banned it entirely.

To purchase, one must be "EPA 609" certified, which takes about 2 hours and $20 online. Open book exam.

It's going for less than $20 per 12 oz. can on e-bay. If you stay with r-12, you can get away with a vacuum & recharge. If you convert, you should flush and change the receiver dryer.

You should check out the MVAC conversion info at

http://ackits.com/forum/index.cfm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:23 AM   #12
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

converting to r-134 would be easier than tracking down a can of r-12, my autozone is clearancing a ton of those convertion kits for like $30 i think.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:31 PM   #13
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

You can still get R-12 replacement freon. It's not actually R-12 but rather freon that WORKS in the R-12 systems. A shop here sells it for $8.00 a can and you need about 2-3 cans to charge up the AC in a Saturn. My dad and I do it all the time with the Saturns we fix. Simply replace your hose that's broken, and buy some more R-12 replacement freon. You DO NOT have to be certified to use this, it's environmentally friendly. This is the only R-12 replacement the EPA will allow. It's called Freeze 12. Go to this website and take a look, this is what we buy.

http://autorefrigerants.com/co00030.htm

Scroll down until you see the 3 cans pictured. They're 4 ounce blue cans. 2-3 cans of that and a new AC hose will have you back cool again. I wouldn't convert it or get it charged back with R-12 at a shop if I were you, this is cheap and it works.

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
Tuanies
Advanced Member
Tuanies is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

You can get an R12 substitute called Freeze 12, but the R134a conversion is around $30-40 at walmart or something.

IIRC all cars 93 and newer used R134a. Not sure about Saturn though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tuanies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tuanies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:15 PM   #15
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that freeze 12 is a blend containing 80% r-134a. They mix in 20% of r-142b to get it to carry mineral oil (as used with r-12).

R-12 prices have been coming back down over the past couple years. The amount you need to fully recharge can be gotten on eBay for $50 or so. Check with a local (not chain) A/C shop and see what they charge to recharge with r-12. You know it will work. And you must vacuum the system . . . do you have a pump available?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:37 PM   #16
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

I used an R134 conversion kit on my S10 over a year ago and it's still got cold air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread