SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:34 AM   #1
hummers86
hummers86 is on a distinguished road

Mad HELP!!! Car Broke Down

Realized this should be in here:
I just got home finnally. Heres what happened. I was driving on the highway goin 70mph then all of a sudden it starts "dying" stutterin like it was only firing on 3 cyls im about 7 miles from home so I try to make it but it got worse and worse so i pulled over, shut it off, look under the hood and come to find the #2 sparkplug boot split up the middle, and half of the plug in the hole and other in the boot. It blew up or sumthin, anyways so I look and in 3 of the 4 spark plug holes theirs oil quite a bit. My friend warned me of this when he put the engine in that if i see oil to check the seals. Anyways so stick a screwdriver in the hole and unscrew whats left of the plug pull it out, put a new plug in and started it up felt fine like before ,though it was hard to tell and diagnose sounds b/c I had just did the 92 header swap and have open exhuast from the just after the cat, gettin welded tomorrow. Anyways so I drove it for a block then it crapped out again and would barely start. Please anyhelp oh its a 93 Saturn SL2 manual w/94 engine. Maybe cuz the swap 4 some reason?Thanx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hummers86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hummers86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2004, 03:50 AM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

When was the last time you changed the ECTS? If you don't know what it is, look in how-to.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:58 AM   #3
hummers86

havent changed it yet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hummers86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

An 94' engine in a 93' is 100% compatable provided neither or both engines had California Emissions from the factory so I doubt thats it. The plug that fractured was probably damaged when it was installed and finally just gave up the ghost in a final and dramatic way. The oil in the plug wells suggests a bad cam cover seal. (gasket) REPLACE IT (See "How To" section) REPLACE ALL the spark plugs and plug wires as well. (NGK CONVENTIONAL NON Platinum plugs gapped to .040) Bet that will cures most of what ails it. I will also say I find it quite disturbing that you were actually able to remove the damaged plug from the engine with a screwdriver! Let us pray it does not indicate the spark plug hole is stripped out!

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
hummers86

Yea I think a piece of the spark plug , the electrode? fell into the cylinder cause the replaced plug didnt fix it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
hummers86

Thanx for the advice wolfman but it didnt help I talked w/ this engine guy he said it must be the cam cover gasket cause theres oil all over in the plug holes and said top replace the gasket so I hope it works and thoughts???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

What, if any, of the things Wolfman said to do did you do?

He told you to change to cam cover gasket set which include the spark plug hole seals (that's why they're full of oil).

He told you to change the plug wires (you said at least one was split )

He told you to change the plugs, for $8, because they're breaking and misfiring.

Listen to the man. These have to work properly, even if the basic problem lies elsewhere. You can't do any reliable troubleshooting without these three things fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
hummers86

Yea I did them all and im listenin to wolfman cause he knows what hes talkin about. Anyways i got it home but it still runs funny. I can start it up by giving in a lot of gas then it dies but sometimes it would not die ans a couple times when I started it up it idled fine not sure but im thinkin its tryin to burn off all the oil that got in everywhere? Otherwise maybe the rings are bad? Im just runnin it, clean plugs of oil (on the electrode side), run it, clean, so on is this bad? Im clueless as to whats wrong I replaced the gasket, new wires, new plug, new ECTS, 1qt oil. Thnx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2004, 09:31 PM   #9
purepwrSL2
purepwrSL2 is on a distinguished road

As of one plug wires were bad as you had on your car ,, when one plug wire were bad ,, you need to replace all old wires to new plug wires along new spark plugs right after fixing those valve cover to stop oil leaks. Otherwise you'll doing all over again when 2nd , 3rd or 4th old plug wires goes bad in the future that will fouling spark plugs again . We the groups trying helping you to makes your car as trouble-free as possible we can. happy motoring !!
Doddie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to purepwrSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help purepwrSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
hummers86

Yeap i appreciate all the help IT RUNS!!! It runs like a champ now it was a combination of the oil gettin in cause of old gasket and the bad plug now all new wires/plugs, and a gasket and ECTS after burning off the rest of the oil it runs great! Thanx for all the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread