SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
Black-N-Tan
Black-N-Tan is on a distinguished road

Default Cargo Cover With Side Head Curtain Air Bags on '04?

Does anyone have side head curtain air bags and a cargo cover installed?

Here's my story...

So, I bought my Vue last month, and at the time of purchase I also purchased a rear cargo cover with installation. I decided to wait to make any modifications (i.e. have the cargo cover installed) because I wanted to wait until my 30-day 1500 mile exchange period ended... just in case.

I took my car to the dealer this afternoon to have the cargo cover installed, and was told that a cargo cover can't be installed on models with Side Curtain Air Bags because when they drill the mounting brackets into the car it may interfere with the wiring or something, and it could interfere with the functioning of the air bags!

Are they for real? If this is true, then why isn't it noted ANYWHERE in Saturn's literature or on the website? And then why was I even allowed to purchase a cargo cover on a vehicle with the side curtain air bags in the first place?

This is very troubling, because I need that cover installed. When shopping for cars, I immediately disqualified models that didn't have a rear cargo cover.

If there's anyone out there who has had a cargo cover installed on a Vue with side curtain airbags, please let me know!

Thanks!!!
-Robin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Black-N-Tan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Black-N-Tan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Grimmace
Grimmace is on a distinguished road

I have what you are talking about. Take a look at my photo gallery and you will see a picture of an '04 Vue with Side Airbags and a cargo cover and cargo net. The only feature you cannot install with the side airbags is the pet net I believe. Check out the pic, my Saturn dealer did the cover and I did the net. At Saturnaccessories.com they have the warnings about what can be installed with what I believe, along with the instructions.
Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Grimmace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Grimmace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
Grimmace

Hey, I see your near Baltimore too. Which Saturn do you buy from? I bought mine in late December at Saturn of Bowie.
Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Grimmace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
ELPresidente
ELPresidente is on a distinguished road

Im a sales person at a Saturn dealer and they lied to you dude because that has nothin to do with the side air bags

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ELPresidente's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ELPresidente reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Black-N-Tan
Black-N-Tan is on a distinguished road

You guys are the BEST! Thank you!

The reason this is such a huge deal is that I need a car with covered trunk space in order to be incompliance with my insurance policy. I'm a photographer, and while my gear is in the car, none of it is covered unless it's... well... covered.

Grimmace - I bought my Saturn from Owings Mills. That's where I took it for service yesterday too. Talking to some others in the waiting area, the feedback was spotty. One woman raved about them - said she was on her 3rd Saturn and had been bringing her cars there for years. Another guy had been sitting in the waiting room for a full 8 HOURS before the head technician finally came out and told him that no one had even looked at his car. He'd have to bring it back on Monday. I thought that was completely ridiculous.

Right now, my feeling is that clearly the Owings Mills service folks have never installed a cargo cover on a car with airbags... and I'm a little nervous about being the first one. Safety is my primary concern, and IF there's anything back there that's connected to the airbag system, I'd rather take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Sounds like you had yours installed at the Bowie dealership, no? I'm going to give them a call this morning and ask if they can do mine too.

Thanks again!
r

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Black-N-Tan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Black-N-Tan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
Green-VUE
Green-VUE is on a distinguished road

Hi Black-N-Tan,

I got my 04 VUE from Saturn of Bowie three weeks ago. I got the cargo cover with side airbags too. I can't possibly see the connection between the two. Sounds like some one is pulling your leg at Owings Mills. If you talk to some one at Bowie, talk to George Sparks. He is my sales consultant. Service there is pretty good too. By the way, my only regret in the purchase of my VUE...is getting the cargo cover. I am not at all pleased with the design or manufacturing of the cover. It's too flimsy and doesn't do a good job of completely covering the back. Saturn at Bowie charged me $240 for the cover and installation. A bit high if you ask me. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Green-VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Green-VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Grimmace

Saturn of Bowie will do it no problem. Go to Saturnaccessories.com and look up the item on the Vue interior section. The instructions with the warning are on the webpage. I believe they do not want you to drill more than 1/2 half inch into the car. Outside of that it should not be a problem. The cargo cover seems to do a good job for me. If you cannot get the instrustions I'll e-mail them to you.

Is this the Baltimore area Vue thread?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
ACS
ACS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Grimmace
Is this the Baltimore area Vue thread?
Charm City represented... As many of you already know ALL (Towson, Glen Burnie, Owing Mills, Belair, Ellicot City) Saturn dealerships in the Baltimore-metro area are owned by the same person- MileOne. A friendly call to your dealer is in order. Kindly tell them other local (sister) dealers can easily install the rear cargo cover. If they are unwilling to install the agreed upon accessory, it will be reflected on their "customer service" survey.

Curious, didn't the VUE in the showroom have the rear cargo cover installed? Most Saturn dealerships do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ACS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ACS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2004, 02:13 PM   #9
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Really, find an aftermarket cover or such. The one on the VUE is awful, and just doesn't work well.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #10
Grimmace

The cargo cover is bacially a long window shade like in your house. You pull on it and it rolls back, that's about it. As for seeing them in dealer showrooms, I never saw a model on the floor with any of the dealer installed accessories. Just the factory ones.
Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
cxc273
cxc273 is on a distinguished road

I don't have a problem with the cargo cover interfering with the side curtain air bag, though I agree with OhioVueBoy that it's not the best designed one out there. Still it gets the job done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cxc273's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cxc273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #12
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

So. Has anyone bought an aftermarket cover?

Good by SL2, Hello???
Just waiting on the 5 door Astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #13
jackhammer
jackhammer is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Saturn Cargo Cover

I installed the Saturn cargo cover and it was pretty easy. I do not have the side air bags and I don't know what would be in the way where you have to drill at but I'm sure as long as you don't drill down to far like it says in the instructions there would be nothing to worry about. Sounds like there full of it!

If you go to my pictures I have the instructions there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jackhammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jackhammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread