SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 12:44 PM   #21
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by kjackson
The interior is a knockout.., very European.
I agree on this completely.

I think GM should try and market Saturn more as "Euroamerican" Lots of euro flaire from Opel with the lovely American touch

I think the Relay pulls that off nicely.

Hopefully the Next gen L, redesigned ION, redesigned Vue, and Signal all get a European interior like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #22
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
And the SUV talk - what a bunch of bunk - it is a freaking minivan, not a SUV and only Ray Charles would confuse it for a SUV.
And that means that in every respect, except towing, it is a superior vehicle.

Of course your right about the similarity (identicle even) with the other three GM minivans. That is not, nowever, necessarily a bad thing.

I am most upset with the idea of Onstar being standard equipment!! This is going to be overpriced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 PM   #23
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up

From the outside, the Relay is a minivan, plain and simple. Such vehicles incur a love/hate thing. Personally, I think they all look the same, but given their mission in life, there really isn't a whole lot one can do with them design-wise. OTOH, I was quite impressed by the look of the interior. From the gauges to the trim (the steering wheel's a little funky), this is probably one of the nicest interiors I've seen in a GM car. I can only hope this is a harbinger of things to come.

As for those freaking about how the Relay looks like it's GM siblings, there are very few car companies with multiple nameplates that don't do this to some degree. It's more commonplace than you think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #24
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
Well, I had to load quick time to see that....

I wonder if they think that we don't know this is a Venture with an XC 90 nose on it? They talk about it like it was a clean sheet design "different from competitors". Different from the Buick, Chebbie, and Pontiac in what way?? And the SUV talk - what a bunch of bunk - it is a freaking minivan, not a SUV and only Ray Charles would confuse it for a SUV.

Please, someone at GM stop sniffing fluorohydrocarbons and give Saturn back to Saturn Fans!!
I couldn't agree more, Piney! It looks so much like a Venture its not even funny! The interior is ok, but did they have to swipe the steering wheel off the new Grand Prix? Looks like those looking for a American minivan will be stopping down to the Ford dealer instead!

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #25
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SW2Muck
... Looks like those looking for a American minivan will be stopping down to the Ford dealer instead!
The Freestar / Montery stink! Go look at them in person! Interior is cheap, and the 3rd row seat is baaaad! Yea, it folds into the floor, but it's super narrow, sits on the floor (i.e. knees in your chin), and the well is very shallow.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 PM   #26
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, the interior reminds me of the Kia Sedona.

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:57 PM   #27
SLCN
SLCN is on a distinguished road

Hey Piney......what cars/trucks/vans do you actually LIKE?

We know you like 'Hillary in 2008' - whoa, that's a scary thought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 07:24 PM   #28
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by SLCN
Hey Piney......what cars/trucks/vans do you actually LIKE?

We know you like 'Hillary in 2008' - whoa, that's a scary thought.
I loved my Olds LSS and really liked the Park Ave too- nice, large, safe, reasonably quick luxury cars. I also like Town Cars & the Grand Marquis LS when a large car is in order. My 1997 Miata was a blast to drive - a great car for any amount of money. Fiberglass cars are also a favorite. My cousin has a 2002 C5 6-speed convertible with sport seats and the adjusting suspension that I'd give my eye teeth for.

For a minivan - I'd lease a Town & Country or the Toyota one.

I like the Acura TL, both the old and particularly the new one. Well built, nice interior, and a pretty good value.

Saabs are among my favorites for mid-sized cars.

The Passat is also a nice ride but you have to lease them for cheap as they depreciate like Saturns do.

I've always loved the 1st generation SL2. A really competent little car and fun to flog.

For little sporty cars, the Celica GTS is it. Sure they are small but they are built rather well. The Mini Cooper S is a great little car too.

Trucks - I love the new F150 Lariat crew cab. A buddy has one and it is Lincolnesque inside - really nice. I'd also consider an Avalanche without the body cladding.

OK - that is enough for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #29
ScotR
ScotR is on a distinguished road

The interior looks great. Very european. Sharp!
The exterior looks outdated already. Hopefully they'll fix it the next model year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ScotR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ScotR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:02 PM   #30
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

The interior looks better than any existing Saturn's.

The exterior is just a typical (boring box) SUV and does not look much different than any of its badge engineered GM cousins - which is because it isn't much different. That video clip from the "Saturn Relay Exterior Designer" is pretty funny (unintentionally). He makes it sound like he did the whole thing from scratch instead of just a different grill and bumper covers ("almost a skid-plate-like-detail"?????). I wonder how I could get a job like that? He could be a spokesman for the White House or the new Coalition Iraqi Information Minister maybe. I guess his actual job is not so much designing anything but in trying to convince us that it isn't just another metal bodied badge engineered GM minivan.

This looks like a nice minivan. I like minivans, they make a lot more sense to me than almost all SUVs, but this minivan just isn't a Saturn. Period.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #31
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by 100KSW2
That video clip from the "Saturn Relay Exterior Designer" is pretty funny (unintentionally). He makes it sound like he did the whole thing from scratch instead of just a different grill and bumper covers ("almost a skid-plate-like-detail"?????). I wonder how I could get a job like that? He could be a spokesman for the White House or the new Coalition Iraqi Information Minister maybe.

That dude obviously got a lot in college. A sales pitch like takes years of talking trash to girls at parties in order to develop. Here is to higher education

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #32
PLANOSATURN
PLANOSATURN is on a distinguished road

Charlie,
Maybe you should change the name of this website to nonsaturnfans.com??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PLANOSATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PLANOSATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:42 PM   #33
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Nice interior. Smart engine choice. Better than I thought it would be. Price it reasonable and it should sell, though I still don't see these CSVs taking the crown away from Honda, Toyota or DaimlerChrysler.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #34
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally posted by KenSatrun
The Freestar / Montery stink! Go look at them in person! Interior is cheap, and the 3rd row seat is baaaad! Yea, it folds into the floor, but it's super narrow, sits on the floor (i.e. knees in your chin), and the well is very shallow.....
I'm comparing the Relay to other AMERICAN minivans! None of the minivans made by American companies hold a candle to the Odyssey, Sienna, or Quest. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cars, but their minivans are the best out there right now. Until the new Caravan comes out, there won't be an American minivan that will truly compete with the Japanese. As it stands right now, the Freestar is the best van this country can come up with. I'm sorry the RELAY is just an ugly parts-bin POS, plain and simple! Unless you have 4 or 5 kids, I don't see why anyone would buy this over a VUE which is a much better vehicle!

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread