SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
03zq8
03zq8 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Vue body work... need some advice.

I hit a deer a few weeks ago, and the insurance company has said my vue is a total loss . I put 150k trouble free miles on this thing, and just put new tires/brakes on it the week before this happened!

I can buy it back and still have ~$4k to work with to repair it myself... just wanted to get some thoughts on this route.

I'm a decent mechanic, but have never really done bodywork. My plan is to purchase a front clip from a salvage yard, and bolt it on. I'm not the picky-est guy, so if it's not 100%, I won't be upset.

Here's a pic from the scene of the crime to judge damage:

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03zq8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03zq8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03zq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
RainMan
RainMan is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Vue body work... need some advice.

My thought would be to go for it as long as there does not seem to be major damage in the engine bay. Also did the airbags deploy? I know those would majorly eat in to your repair money if they did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RainMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RainMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
03zq8

2004 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
My thought would be to go for it as long as there does not seem to be major damage in the engine bay. Also did the airbags deploy? I know those would majorly eat in to your repair money if they did.
No air bag deployment. All of the impact was above the bumper.

I'm just looking for someone with experience who knows what's underneath. I don't know if there is a ton of little stuff underneath that I'm not aware of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 03zq8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I recently rebuilt the front-end of one daughters "totaled" Forester for $1700 - including painting of the hood and one fender to match rest of vehicle.

I've thought about buying a rebuild-able 2005 Vue from a local wrecking yard just to have something to do in spare time ... and the thought is not dead.

Just about all the items damaged or destroyed by the deer collision can be swapped out in a few hours.

The big ticket item could be the airbags - if they didn't deploy, you could be back on the road for less than you expect.

Why not go to RockAuto and compile price list for replacement parts, such as following:

headlamps
parking lamps
fog lamps
bumper cover
grill
A/C condensor
hood
radiator
radiator support
fan(s) 1 or 2, depending on engine

You could also check with a salvage yard for any of the above, but the tendency now (where I live), is you can get new Pac-Rim body parts cheaper than buying salvage.

It goes without saying the new parts are lesser quality copies but I've never been unhappy with part quality - considering price paid.

Just to show you what a non-pro can do - working part-time over two weeks - I've attached before and after pix of the Suby (yes, I know, wrong forum).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2011 (Medium).jpg (66.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2060 (Medium).jpg (89.9 KB, 34 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 09-08-2011 at 11:07 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
RainMan
RainMan is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Wow you do nice work far2grumpy great job on the repair!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RainMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RainMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I should make clear - although I hung all the new parts - I had a professional painter spray the new hood and fenders (I did pre-paint prep).

Total charge for painting was $325 - which was included in the $1700 total cost to repair.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
03zq8

2004 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I recently rebuilt the front-end of one daughters "totaled" Forester for $1700 - including painting of the hood and one fender to match rest of vehicle.

I've thought about buying a rebuild-able 2005 Vue from a local wrecking yard just to have something to do in spare time ... and the thought is not dead.

Just about all the items damaged or destroyed by the deer collision can be swapped out in a few hours.

The big ticket item could be the airbags - if they didn't deploy, you could be back on the road for less than you expect.

Why not go to RockAuto and compile price list for replacement parts, such as following:

headlamps
parking lamps
fog lamps
bumper cover
grill
A/C condensor
hood
radiator
radiator support
fan(s) 1 or 2, depending on engine

You could also check with a salvage yard for any of the above, but the tendency now (where I live), is you can get new Pac-Rim body parts cheaper than buying salvage.

It goes without saying the new parts are lesser quality copies but I've never been unhappy with part quality - considering price paid.

Just to show you what a non-pro can do - working part-time over two weeks - I've attached before and after pix of the Suby (yes, I know, wrong forum).
Thanks for the heads up on rockauto... didn't realize they had body parts... looks like they have everything I need.

Screw it, I'm up for an adventure!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Mind if I ask whereabouts you were when you brought down Bambi? I live in BG and take rt 6 and 25 a lot. Certain times of the year, I refer to my route as "Deer run" and I try not to drive at night!

As someone local to you, I wish I could say that I've taken apart the front end of our VUE and could offer some assistance but alas, I have left it in-tact. I've pulled apart the front of my Civic a number of times and successfully put it back together.

I'm kinda surprised they called it a total loss. It honestly looks like something you could fix on your own, on the weekend.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted. If you source any parts from local scrap yards, please let me know which ones have a VUE. I'm in need of a new rear bumper fascia as mine is bang'd up as the result of mixing a 16-year-old, his 16-year-old girlfriend, and his Honda civic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
03zq8

2004 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Mind if I ask whereabouts you were when you brought down Bambi? I live in BG and take rt 6 and 25 a lot. Certain times of the year, I refer to my route as "Deer run" and I try not to drive at night!

As someone local to you, I wish I could say that I've taken apart the front end of our VUE and could offer some assistance but alas, I have left it in-tact. I've pulled apart the front of my Civic a number of times and successfully put it back together.

I'm kinda surprised they called it a total loss. It honestly looks like something you could fix on your own, on the weekend.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted. If you source any parts from local scrap yards, please let me know which ones have a VUE. I'm in need of a new rear bumper fascia as mine is bang'd up as the result of mixing a 16-year-old, his 16-year-old girlfriend, and his Honda civic.
I hit the deer on I-69 about an hour north of Indianapolis. I was going over there for the MotoGP race a few weeks ago.

My commute to work is 75S to OH6E, so I know the area where you're at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Yep. I live on the S. Side of BG right near 6.

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

With a 4k budget, I know i've seen a $1500 blown tranny'd Vue on Craigslist in my area, if this is a situation I encountered, I'd grab a parts car up, and get at it! you start pulling the front end apart, you will know, or can decide what would need replacing.

I wish you luck in your project, No airbags off would be my biggest sigh of relief! Hubby's fixing a front end of a 07 exploder for a friend, and that airbag garbage is gonna set them back pretty good. They're avoiding going through insurance, so it's all out of pocket!!

F2G- you did a pretty good job, even without the painting yourself, Everything looks lined up perfectly! I'd never know it was in an accident myself.

And really....another Vue just for a project?? hehe...2 there isn't enough!! lol!!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Oliverjackson
Oliverjackson is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

03zq8

I sent you a P M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oliverjackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oliverjackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oliverjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

It's hard to tell with the plastic bumper still on it but the damage looks light to me. Possibly some upper tie bar (Radiator support) damage. Likely condenser and radiator damage if it went far enough to damage the tie bar, but again it's really hard to tell whats under the plastic.

If you get lucky you might find the correct color replacement body parts on car-part.com. That will save you lots on painting. The paint colors seem very consistent on the plastic Saturns. I don't think I'd go with a front clip unless it was a great deal. There's too much you won't need on an entire clip.

I've built 6 Vues from salvage auctions, most having front end damage. Click on my pictures to see some of them.

2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
Shindog
Shindog is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 Vue and need a front fender. What year range will work on a 2005?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shindog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shindog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #15
Shindog

UGG!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shindog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 AM   #16
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Looks like 2003-2007
Do a search on http://car-part.com.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #17
Shindog

I was coming up with 2003 to 2006 but this is a great resource and ill use it going forward. Thank you!.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

When I bought a steering wheel at a jy to install cruise in my 2000 SL, the wheel with airbag was $50, wheel only, $20.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote