SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 12:21 AM   #1
malbojah
malbojah is on a distinguished road

Mad Time to say goodbye...

And it's about damn time. As if replacing the engine last year after driving only 15k miles (bought used with 79k) wasn't bad enough, now the rear brakes are completely shot (frozen on both sides), the exhaust needs a new down pipe and a new muffler, the radiator might need to be replaced (I say the dealer overpressurized the system and blew out the drain plug ), and the engine might have a leaky valve cover gasket.

I've had it. Come November, goodbye *****box, hello ....??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to malbojah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help malbojah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2003, 01:48 AM   #2
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

What year is it, which engine does it have, and how well was it maintained?

Ed
2005 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT
http://community.webshots.com/user/edwilson13185

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2003, 01:59 AM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

If this person bought it with 79K miles, there is no way to tell what the original owner did or did not do to the car.

I'm sorry your ownership experience was so bad, but that is a risk people take when buying used. I hope your next car, whatever it is, gives you better luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:41 AM   #4
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

I can't tell from the message what car he's talking about. Is it even a Saturn?

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:59 AM   #5
malbojah

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete93SL1M
I can't tell from the message what car he's talking about. Is it even a Saturn?
It is (and will soon not be) a 94 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help malbojah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:15 AM   #6
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

Such a shame. Read my signature. Our three Saturns, collectively, have almost 4x as many miles as as your 1994 SL2 and we haven't had ANY of the problems that you've had.

(MY 1994 SL2 was bought used at 42,000 miles and I have put on the last 120,000 miles without a hitch.)

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:32 AM   #7
malbojah

I will say this, while my next vehicle will be a SUV, the new Vue with the Honda powerplant is in the running, but for some reason the Element keeps on growing on me each day

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2003, 04:53 PM   #8
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Those parts and replacement are not that bad try ebay if you can't find parts for your car locally. A new radiator is less than 150 bucks on ebay. You can do a lot of repairs for one Honda car payment. 1994 parts are fairly common total rear brakes should be less than 500 bucks even if everything is shot. Exaust systems are not that much dough either I saw a Cat test pipe for laess than 100 bucks shipped on ebay

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #9
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

I still think honda execs are laughing their asssses off every time someone buys an element. Like it's an inside joke 'see I told you they buy anything with a honda nameplate on it, ha-ha-ha'. What an ugly, space-lacking P.O.S.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #10
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

Just bought my son a clean '94 SL2 with 165K on it, well maintained, runs great, just needs a little TLC. My own '95 SW2 is coming up on it's 174K service this week...the only thing that ever went wrong with it outside of normal wear items was the EGR valve. Aside from that, I keep it clean inside and out and serviced every 3000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:59 PM   #11
Mike_SW2K
Mike_SW2K is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Who did you buy it from? A Saturn dealer, a major auto company lot or a local used car lot? Did you get any kind of used car warranty?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike_SW2K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike_SW2K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:57 PM   #12
malbojah

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_SW2K
Who did you buy it from? A Saturn dealer, a major auto company lot or a local used car lot? Did you get any kind of used car warranty?
Local used car person with a 30 warranty (which he honor on a faulty rear window), serviced at local Saturn dealer. Bought car in Jan 01 w/79k, blew engine almost year to the day with 94k, spent about 1800 for engine/installation/rental car/other stuff. Now it's up to 103k, and the valve cover gasket might be leaking oil as well, along with all the other stuff.

I just want something new that I will know exactly what will happen to it. Plus AWD for my job in the winter will come in handy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2003, 11:42 PM   #13
ttreibel
Advanced Member

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

The valve cover gasket is 20 bucks and a 45 minute max job and your exaust system downtube and muffler can't be that much shop around find a good muffler shop.

New cars suck...I know I have a 2002 SLone and a 2003 Ram 3500 in my driveway and you should see what I pay for Auto Ins. I can't wait for them to be used and don't even start with the truck payment.......

I just seem to think you should get some more time out of your car sounds like you spent good money and you should reap the benifits of the car.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:02 AM   #14
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by malbojah
I just want something new that I will know exactly what will happen to it. Plus AWD for my job in the winter will come in handy.
Best of luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 AM   #15
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

What color is your SL2? If its blue/black send me your hood, bumpers and front fascia. Seriously though if its blue/black PM me or something, if youre just going to sell it to a junk yard or something...

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:37 PM   #16
SLCN
SLCN is on a distinguished road

malbojah...

I can almost guarantee with 99% accuracy that your Saturn was not maintained properly by the first owner. I see 100,000+ Saturns (and Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, etc. etc) all day long working in the industry and WITHOUT FAIL the ones that have major problems can be blamed 99% of the time on the owners...not the manufacturers. Especially with that engine...it's a workhorse. Noisy....YES, do they sometimes use a bit of oil...YES...but they should last well into the 100's with regular maintenance.

Sorry to hear about your story.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:44 PM   #17
malbojah

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyDuck
What color is your SL2? If its blue/black send me your hood, bumpers and front fascia. Seriously though if its blue/black PM me or something, if youre just going to sell it to a junk yard or something...
It is a blue/black (stop reading my mind you ******* ), but the hold has 3 small dents in a triangle pattern. Looks like golf ball dents. Also has this pattern on the roof and the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2003, 12:08 AM   #18
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

If you do the work yourself, you can get every parts for ~$250.

*Downpipe and muffler work will cost under $150*

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:05 AM   #19
ttreibel
Advanced Member

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Glad you priced it out, 250 bucks is like one months car payment with a big down payment.

I don't know about there but when it snows here every jack***** with a 4x heads out to prove something in the snow. That is when I drive my older car not my 2003 4x4. just my 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #20
malbojah

Ok, so I went into the stealer today to look at the 03 Vue's for comparisons sake, and they had 2 04's that they just got in last night. The salesman I dealt with was like, "Let's go out for a ride, because this car is a blast to drive."

And he was right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread