SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Kramer Captures Flag-to-Flag Victory for Showroom Stock C

Mike Kramer, of Franklin, Tennessee, piloted his Panasonic/Kumho/SPS/Carbotech Saturn SC2 to a flag-to-flag win in the Showroom Stock SSC class race at the Valvoline Runoffs at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. Kramer, who started on the pole, took the lead into the first turn and never looked back winning by 3.387-seconds at an average speed of 67.262 mph for the 2.258-mile, 11-turn road course. "It was a great week," Kramer said. "We got the car straightened away on Sunday, so we just had to fine tune it during the week. I got a good tow in qualifying, and was able to take the pole. That set me up right for the race. Tires were a question today, but we chose right when we went to the shaved dry tires. I did not want to go off line during the race as the line was drying but off line it was slick. But, the track came back to us and it was just a great week."

Click here for the full story. Some photos are also online.

Congratulations, Mike and ThunderSport Racing!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Whoo-hooo!!!

Hey, I was only kidding about going from pole position all the way to the checkerd flag!

It just goes to show how important the driver is and how a performance oriented Saturn can hold it's own.

Congratulations on this win and great job to the team and driver!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #3
monkeysl2
Advanced Member
monkeysl2 is on a distinguished road

Thats really cool. Aren't they only allowed to modify exhaust and brakes in that class? Heeheehee, take that import tuners who try to bash Saturn!

2005 SRT-4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to monkeysl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help monkeysl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
SteveP
SteveP is on a distinguished road

I had been catching the live lap sheets off the SCCA site during the day. Go to:

http://scca.org/amateur/club_racing/runoffs/index.html

and hit the live timing link during the races. You can also hit results and look at the lap charts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteveP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteveP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
TommyH
TommyH is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

OUTSTANDING!!!

The right things happen to the right people. Mike Kramer is one hell of a guy and a great racer as well. Way to go plastic car driver!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TommyH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TommyH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
HiWire
HiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really nice

2001 SC2

It was meant to be

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:07 AM   #7
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

nice, put another one on the board for Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2003, 12:51 AM   #8
KevSC1
Advanced Member
KevSC1 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
1995 SC1

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeysl2
Thats really cool. Aren't they only allowed to modify exhaust and brakes in that class? Heeheehee, take that import tuners who try to bash Saturn!
The exhaust has to exit the car near where the stock system does (ThunderSport Racing runs a straight pipe from the cat back), and yes, brake pad compound is unrestricted. Add a drop in K&N filter, roll cage, racing seat (driver's only), and strap on some R- compound tires, and go racing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

This is a HUGE victory, not just for ThunderSports but for Saturn in general. I'd like to see Saturn build an ad campaign around this, as BMW built one around their success in touring-car racing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2003, 09:16 PM   #10
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by irish56
I'd like to see Saturn build an ad campaign around this, as BMW built one around their success in touring-car racing.
Yeah, but include Mike Kremers numerous other wins and records, and also the 3 years of One Lap of America.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:20 PM   #11
zcarman
zcarman is on a distinguished road

Way to go ThunderSport Racing. You guys have been over achieving for a very long time, and now you are the National Champions - the best of the best! Many in the racing and performance world have taken notice...maybe Saturn or General Motors should too.

As GM's only front wheel drive entry at the Runoffs you guys were the class of the class this year. Flag to flag - in the rain and the dry - your car preparation is first class and watching Mike drive with such speed and smoothness and confidence is breath taking.

Good job. I'm so happy for you! We'll see you at Sebring in January - hopefully in the familiar Saturn. I hear however that Chrysler and Honda may be looking for another spear carrier and that the #16 decal may live on a door made of sheet metal instead of polymer plastic.

Whatever you may decide to do - watching you guys this year has been exciting. Thanks for that!

I can't wait for the Speed TV coverage.

Z

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zcarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zcarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #12
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

yay. Wish the important people (up there at Saturn or GM) would notice. I wonder how an ION would do, but they feel a lot heavier than the s-cars. s-cars forever!

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #13
99SC1-R
99SC1-R is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

All i can say is WHOOHOOO!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SC1-R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SC1-R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #14
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Sweet! I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I just saw this race televised this past weekend. How cool was it to see the SC2 toasting the pack! Not to mention that the Neon came in second, relegating the Honda team to third.

It was cool to hear the commentary as well, raving about the Saturn's "great straight-line acceleration."

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) • 99 SW2 (2002-2009) • 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 • 03 SVT Focus #2370 • 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 • 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:42 PM   #15
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

I watched it too (on tape, after watching the Buckeyes lose ). Fantastic stuff, and what a beautiful SC2. I thought it was great how the pre-race intro segment introduced Lipperini, Fernandez and a couple of others as the guys to beat -- then Mike Kramer starts from pole and beats them all.

I just wish they'd have shown more of the Saturn during the race, though I understand why it's not too exciting to keep the camera on the leader when he's 5 seconds ahead of the rest of the pack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #16
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Hey, wow...SaturnFans has a pretty healthy Columbus contingent!

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) • 99 SW2 (2002-2009) • 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 • 03 SVT Focus #2370 • 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 • 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #17
99SC1-R

2008 Astra XR

I caught the race on SPEED as well. It wasa good race to watch. It was fun to point to a car on the screen thats winning and tell my gf it was a Saturn. It was a great race, a good car can do wonders in the hands of a great driver.
Makes you wonder why people are all high and mighty on their Protoge and Civics when a "cheap, poor quality" (as everyone says) Saturn beat them without breaking a sweat, although I'm sure Kramer did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 99SC1-R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #18
99SC1-R

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by irish56
This is a HUGE victory, not just for ThunderSports but for Saturn in general. I'd like to see Saturn build an ad campaign around this, as BMW built one around their success in touring-car racing.
They'd never do that though.
They don't make the S anymore, and then theres the fact that GM wouldn't allow it because the Sunfires and Cavaliers would be outshined, even though thats not very hard.

IMO, Saturn needs to cut out on its own and forget GM, part of the reason it is Saturn but also part of the reason it still is "only" Saturn and very limited in what it can do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

Darn! I can't wait to get digital cable tv! I'm missing all the good stuff

Speedchannel is only available on digital cable subscription over here.

I cant find any pictures or clips from the race.
Oh well...

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #20
99SC1-R

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by frankski
Darn! I can't wait to get digital cable tv! I'm missing all the good stuff

Speedchannel is only available on digital cable subscription over here.

I cant find any pictures or clips from the race.
Oh well...

Frankski
I guess right now you are using Vidιotron?

I have Rogers with the deluxe pack or something like that.

I don't know what I would do without that channel sometimes.

If I can find any videos or anything like that I'll pm you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread