SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Interesting article...

Chicken Soup For The S-Series' Soul!

Moral of the story: Take it to the track!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Interesting article...

There's a corner on my drive home from work that I almost always take at about 45mph in my 98 SL2, and it's hilarious to me because a buddy of mine at work with a lowered Miata is scared to take it much faster than 30, and he can't fathom how I can take it at 45 in my 21 year old econobox Saturn lol. Truth is, this light little car with nothing more than some aftermarket 16"s and some 225 wide BFG Comp 2 tires STICKS to the road. She'll get outrun by a Prius on the highway, but she corners surprisingly well

As a disclaimer, I never advocate driving like a hoonigan on public roads

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A wonderful story from the past (Chicken Soup for the S-series' Soul). I enjoyed the story of an underestimated car able to run past better equipped vehicles with less than experienced drivers in certain track conditions. Much like the past year of 1/4 track shaming videos of ice cars beaten by Teslas. I couldn't afford (or maybe didn't want to learn how poorly I would be on a track if I went to racing school) and now too old to pursue it but I too have a nice story albeit not as sensational.

My L300 is a plain jane 4dr sedan of modest power (180hp) with typical front wheel drive but independent rear suspension and 205-55x16 tires. There's a short turn under one NYC bridge. The south bound turn always shows brake lights while I let off at well above posted speed limit to pass cars in my upscale Tupperware. Every car and suv brakes when entering this turn. I presume they are simply afraid to take this turn well above posted limits (25/30 mph?) This turn under the main bridge feeds one lane to the bridge (right) while allowing two left lanes to go under and around the overhead bridge traffic. This old roadway can never be expanded (two lanes in each direction) as the fixed widths ends at the stone walls on each side of the bridge support base. Seeing the wall looming up (no commercial traffic) into the turn (about 15 feet high or more) with zero runoff with old school steel barriers to keep runaways from damaging the stone wall seems to put fear into many. I know I've exceeded twice the speed limit when entering this turn if I know no one is in front of me and drive this local route at least once a week (plenty of practice to judge speed, traction in wet/dry/icy conditions). While nowhere near having track experience, being one with the car sometimes allows a person to learn his/her limits without damaging sheet metal. I suppose the narrowness of these two lanes without room for error makes many brake. Even those entering the turn fast brake near the middle of the turn when they realize too late their lack of knowing their limits. Too bad I'm too old to enroll in a high speed racing course. I'd probably be overconfident with new found training and mar the wall. I'll definitely enroll the day I win the lottery to afford bending my Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, Mclaren, Aston Martin and Jaguar - in my dreams.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #4
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1

The S-Series agility in corners is really something that most people don't expect from an old economy car. Recently I put new tires on my 93 SC1 and its like driving on rails!

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

The S-series cars are low and wide with tall tires at all four corners. They are relative slot cars compared to the rest of whats on today’s roads. Their center of gravity and driver’s height in the seat is as we all know, low. I drive mine gingerly most of the time but I do love how it hums along on the highway more than the big tall SUV alternatives I drive.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
The S-series cars are low and wide with tall tires at all four corners. They are relative slot cars compared to the rest of whats on today’s roads. Their center of gravity and driver’s height in the seat is as we all know, low. I drive mine gingerly most of the time but I do love how it hums along on the highway more than the big tall SUV alternatives I drive.
Now that I do a lot of night highway driving.... I'm not liking the seat height. Between modern vehicle lights and people running their brights I'm always feeling blinded or people are breathing down my neck. I'm forced to use the dimming mirror, which I don't like, and it doesn't help with the side mirrors of course.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Most people pass me in disgust with their more modern cars as if I don't deserve to be on the road with such an old econo box. Could be the smells coming from the exhaust, coupled with the noise and lack luster accelerations...

Then a turn comes up and 90% of these fancy new cars cannot keep up. I can easily double the recommended ramp speed limits and my S series takes it like a champ.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Have you driven a Subaru Outback? My sister has a new used one, with about 75k miles on it and looks new outside and in. Her family went away on vacation so I got to retrieve the mail and select among their fleet of vehicles to drive; Maxima, an old 5-speed Subie, Toyota Corolla and new/used Outback. I dragged their daughters stuff back from college one year and was tooling along in light to moderate rain when I noticed I was passing vehicles - I was speeding a little more than every vehicle on the road including suvs. I had to look down at the speedometer but always felt comfortable with ride, suspension and handling. This Outback is solid. Last winter my bil drove us to a local ski area in NJ. We stayed until closing as the last few hours dropped fresh snow so we could enjoy some fresh powder. When we left, the roads were covered in fresh snow, about 3-4 inches around 10 pm. Everyone was off the roads except for the snow plows. He said he felt the traction give way at times (traction control light flashing) but four wheel drive kept us moving and I never felt more comfortable riding shotgun. Never felt breaking traction. We wandered thru fresh snow still dropping until we stopped for a very late dinner. No one was in the restaurant as we ate. My bil was completely confident of not being stuck in snow not yet plowed. The mountain roads were relatively easy for this 4wd Outback as well as the main three lane highways as we left NJ for NYC and Long island. I was impressed. I don't know if other full time 4wd has traction like this Outback. Not an suv and more old school station wagon with awd. While I don't need 4wd with more moving parts, this one is impressive for a 4 cyl engine of modest power. A rare combination of great fuel mileage, awd, wagon space, quiet and firm ride without driving an SUV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote