SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #1
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line
Default Rear Deck

I am looking to remove the rear deck on my 95 SL2.

What I am looking to do is basically replace those 2 ports with a free air 10" JL sub. For the most part, removal looks to be as easy as removing a few clips and pulling up. I then noticed that the seatbelts in the rear are threaded through the deck piece. Err anyone know how to get this out nice and clean like?

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2003, 09:40 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

you need to flip down the rear seatbacks remove the pushpins and screws. you need a tiny screwdriver to unclip the seatbelt bezels from the decklid panel cover.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
brentg
brentg is on a distinguished road

how about build a panel behind the back seats? that way its out of the sun and view of thieves. also, the trunk cavity will have to be sealed as well as possible. it is after all, the subs enclosure..

on a side note...id stick with a box. ported or sealed. been there, done that with free airs. could never compare to a properly designed box. they are unpredictable and free airs take a TON OF POWER. keep that in mind.

Last edited by brentg; 08-21-2003 at 09:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brentg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brentg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #4
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

I want it permenantly mounted in the deck so that I don't have a box to steal out of the trunk. I am making a panel to mount both amps in the spare tire well, so that when you open the trunk it looks stock. I also get rid of the weight of the box at the same time. It is either this, or lose the box all together, and I would rather keep some kind of bass.

As for power, it is a JL 10W0 (free air approved) and rated to 220 RMS. The amp driving it is a clarion 200.2 bridged to 220 RMS watts.

I know it will sound much better in the sealed box I have it in, but I don't want the box in the car, and I would like to be able to see the sub. It would also be a lot harder to steal 1 sub out of the deck as opposed to a box in the trunk.

Getting back to the seatbelt dilemna, I don't see how the seat belt itself comes apart from that rear deck piece.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:40 AM   #5
brentg
brentg is on a distinguished road

ok. but remember, if you can see it, you can steal it. if there is a sub, there is a amp and deck to power it. *trust me* my friend, hide that stuff as well as you can!!!!

weight of the box? lol cmon yer not auto-x everyday are ya?

anyway, that amp is a good amp...should work good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brentg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brentg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
Christopher
Christopher is on a distinguished road

Once you remove the little plastic seatbelt bezels/grommets you'll notice that the rear deck actually has a slit so you can slide the seatbelt out and away from the deck. Also, when you lower the rear seat you'll see two black plastic pins. Pull those out and then your faced with the challenge of manipulating the rear deck out. It's a pain, and seems impossible at first but it will slide out eventually. Just don't bend it and you'll be ok.

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Christopher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Christopher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!