SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default clicking noise up front

It's been a long time since I've been here. Ended up selling my previous '97 Saturn a few years ago. Regretted doing it, but life happens. However, I stumbled on a Craigslist find of the century last week.

2000 SL2 5 speed w/200,000 miles, Original owner!! his commuter to work which consisted of 99% interstate, set the cruise and go type driving. It is damn near mint condition minus a couple wear items common to the S series. The AC quit working and he didn't want to spend the money to fix it. I bought the car for $800. Replaced the AC clutch from the junkyard and works like new again. Pays to know how AC systems work .

Anyway, I want to see what you guys think about the following issue. I didn't discover this until a couple days ago when I was driving with the window down. I hear a noise from the front left. It sounds exactly like a rock stuck in the tread, however it only starts making the noise at about 40 mph and up. If I ride the brake pedal soft or hard the noise is still there, doesn't change the clicking at all. If I speed up or slow down to change the tension on the CV axle joints it doesn't change anything either. CV boots are clean. I jacked the tire off the ground and tried wiggling it at 12 and 6. It is tight. It steers great, doesn't pull either way. Clutch in or out, in gear or neutral, doesn't change the noise. Oh, and there's no rocks or nails in the tire. I don't like throwing parts at a car hoping it will fix it, but I'm not seeing or sensing anything that could be causing the clicking noise.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

saturn 2.jpg

saturn 1.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trouttrooper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trouttrooper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: clicking noise up front

Welcome back !
Any noise change when you turn hard to either direction (wheel bearings)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

nope, no change

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trouttrooper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trouttrooper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Maybe the grease in the outer CV joints is All on the inside of the rubber boots:
Squeeze the rubber boots by hand to force some grease Into the joint,
then test drive....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Maybe make a recording and post it on youtube? Sometimes there are distinctive sounds that folks here can help narrow down from experience.

Glad the AC Clutch repair worked out well!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote