SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
sgltrk
sgltrk is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default SC with blown engine

I just picked up a 1993 SC with a dohc, that has a rod through the side of the block, for $125. The car is in surprisingly good condition so I'll be replacing the engine.

My question is what year dohc engines can I use for the replacement?

Thanks

PS; Its an automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sgltrk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sgltrk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sgltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: SC with blown engine

'93-'94 for the least effort (direct swap), '93-'98 can be made to work (requires EGR valve modding).

Sorry to see it's an automatic, maybe you can get a 5spd parts car and fix that too

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

97+ also requires changing the oil pressure sensor but itís not bad.

Btw the reason these cars throw rods is because they are run without oil.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
can be made to work (requires EGR valve modding).

Sorry to see it's an automatic, maybe you can get a 5spd parts car and fix that too
by coincidence,
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236685

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44
I still have a couple of the "reverse style" that adapt the vacuum EGR to the newer head (for swapping 2nd/3rd gen engines into a 1st gen) but I sold out of the "original style" reproductions a few months back.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
What a coincidence -- as of now, I only have 3 left with no plans to make more. PM sent to OP.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
sgltrk
sgltrk is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Hi Fetch,

The car is for my wife or I may just sell it. We had an SL2 auto prior and she liked that in. We'll see.

Hi Robert,

I assume '97+ requires both EGR mod and oil sensor. Also assuming I just need the oil sensor for a 1993 car?

Thanks guys for the great info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sgltrk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sgltrk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sgltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If you can source a '93-'94 engine, there's nothing to swap around.
If you go with a '95-'98 then you need to modify/adapt the EGR valve. If you go '96-'98 you also have to swap the oil pressure switch to the older style (hard to reach with the starter installed, but not too annoying if fogotten).

We can help you make a '99-'02 motor work, but it'll pretty much require a welder and some sort of metal cutting tool for the exhaust to adapt; and the '00-'02's require even more modifications.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgltrk View Post
Hi Fetch,

The car is for my wife or I may just sell it. We had an SL2 auto prior and she liked that in. We'll see.

Hi Robert,

I assume '97+ requires both EGR mod and oil sensor. Also assuming I just need the oil sensor for a 1993 car?

Thanks guys for the great info!
Put the replacement engine into the car. www.car-part.com can be used to source a used engine from a wrecking yard.

1996-1998 engines will NOT work, because they are OBD-II and lack the second tapped hole for the coolant gauge.
1991-1995 engines are OBD-I and have TWO coolant sensors. The two-wire sensor is for the PCM. The single, green wire sensor is the coolant temperature sending unit for your dash gauge.

1993-1994(Federal emissions) are a direct swap.

!994 California emissions and 1995 REQUIRE the EGR adapter plate that ColonelHogan44 makes, because they used an electric EGR on those engines.

The replacement engine will likely burn oil, because these engines are prone to ring packs seizing and valve stem leakage on DOHCs, so keep a close eye on the oil level and watch for blue smoke. Have them run the engine, if possible, before you buy it.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

And as far as the automatic, the very first YouTube video of a Saturn owner having reached 1,000,000 miles is BOTH a 1993 SL2 and an automatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJnxnWcJVVk

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Put the replacement engine into the car. www.car-part.com can be used to source a used engine from a wrecking yard.

1996-1998 engines will NOT work, because they are OBD-II and lack the second tapped hole for the coolant gauge.
Not true. You just drill and tap a hole for the sensor or get otherwise creative. No big deal.

Later (99+) engines can be adapted into older cars. The exhaust is not a huge issue, just make sure you grab the matching exhaust manifold too. I've swapped a 99 into a 97, and a 2002 into a 99.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote