SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Thewoj
Thewoj is on a distinguished road

Dazed "Near" stalling when Accelerating

Please help point me to what I should check next. 2004 Ion 2.2 Ecotech with 194k miles on it that I bought new and recently gave to my 17 year daughter to drive. In the past few months she complained of hesitation at highway speeds and the check engine light coming on. The CEL didn't remain on so it was hard to catch. While I was driving it a few weeks ago, it happened to me and while I was on the way to have the tires balanced/rotated, I had the service guy check for any codes. There were none. So my searches lead me to this forum and I ended up checking/replacing the coil pack, plugs, and the ICM. The electrode of plug 3 was completely gone so I figured that was the problem. Well now what happens is after the car is warmed up and you stop at a light, the idle is normal but as soon as you take your foot off the brake and then go to accelerate it hesitates and wants to stall - it doesn't stall, it only lasts a second but to a 17 year old this is eternity. I took it back to my service guy where he could replicate the problem to no end but the computer provided no codes. He checked all engine specs, fuel pressure, etc., and everything is within spec. I asked him to replace the fuel filter thinking that may help. I then picked it up this past weekend and replaced the MAP sensor, the IAC, and the crank sensor. I took the entire intake off, and cleaned it almost to the point where it looks brand new. I removed all the plugs and all 4 show usage. I've check all wiring for proper grounds and all vacuum lines but I see nothing. I picked up a blue tooth ODB reader to see if I can catch a code while it happens and still nothing. My service guy and I are completely baffled. Any ideas what to check next? I was thinking O2 sensors or CAT but I'm not wanting to throw a large amount of cash on this, after already dropping around 500 bucks. Thanks for any help you can offer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thewoj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thewoj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thewoj is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: "Near" stalling when Accelerating

O2 sensors are a maint item with that many miles.

CAt COn's quickly self destruct when fuel is dumped in the exhaust( your situation when ignition was hinkey).

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
Thewoj

Do you believe the O2 sensor could cause the near stalling situation though?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Thewoj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I wouldn't expect an oxygen sensor to cause your problem, especially since you've not been able to read any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) thus far. With the previous part replacements you covered common items known to cause - or related to - events like an engine stall. Of course, we all want to avoid throwing parts at a problem where no positive result takes place. I would be inclined to take the vehicle to a reputable shop performing exhaust system work and ask them to check the catalytic converter.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Thewoj

Thanks. As I was driving it today and the issue happened (almost consistently) I noticed the rpms drop to about 500 from the normal 750-800 and then pop right back up. It does this as soon as I let my foot off the brake but before I step on the accelerater. Ill have the CAT checked out in a few weeks ( traveling for a bit).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Thewoj

Alright, after much research and shop advice I ended up swapping out the catalytic converter. Much quieter but my problem still exists. So just about everything in the fuel system, sensors, etc., have been replaced. The only thing not changed out is the fuel pump but the shop is showing good pressure. Any other thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!