SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
NinaRossi
NinaRossi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Question 98 Saturn SL1 dies everytime l come to a stop

My 98 Saturn keeps dying everytime I come to a stop but It starts right back up. I've Recently changed the crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump, & fuel filter.. I noticed the Idle drops and then teeter totters between normal Idle & below and at that point the car is now pretty much stopped and it will either die or the rpms will shoot back up a little past normal idle 700-800 rpm And then go down to normal and be fine but the majority of the time it dies..has anyone else had this problem ? I was thinking about removing the throttle body and Idle air control valve and hitting them with some Carb cleaner, l figure it wouldnt hurt since its kinda always had a lil issue with not Idling quite the right way but never anything big. insight, advice,suggestions .... I'm all ears .

{The mechanic said to the walrus it looks like you blew a seal
The walrus says my sexual preferences are none of your concern }

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NinaRossi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NinaRossi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NinaRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 98 Saturn SL1 dies everytime l come to a stop

It may be a dirty TB BUT it is NOT an IAC issue. It may also be a fuel delivery problem so what brand of pump and filter did you use?

First thing to do is PROPERLY clean the throtle body. Follow the video instructions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5qCuQLmFE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, do try cleaning your throttle body first. My initial guess is the iacv is either sticking or faulty. A cleaning will help and then if the iacv still acts up, there's a simple test to perform to see if the iacv is faulty. The iacv controls idle rpm by adding and subtracting supplemental air thru a bypass air port in front of the throttle plate that's almost closed. The pcm controls how much supplemental air is needed for all temperature and load conditions.

Btw, was the original coolant sensor ever replaced with the flat nosed brass one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

With the poor idling I would also clean the egr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marko16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marko16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
NinaRossi

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaRossi View Post
My 98 Saturn keeps dying everytime I come to a stop but It starts right back up. I've Recently changed the crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump, & fuel filter.. I noticed the Idle drops and then teeter totters between normal Idle & below and at that point the car is now pretty much stopped and it will either die or the rpms will shoot back up a little past normal idle 700-800 rpm And then go down to normal and be fine but the majority of the time it dies..has anyone else had this problem ? I was thinking about removing the throttle body and Idle air control valve and hitting them with some Carb cleaner, l figure it wouldnt hurt since its kinda always had a lil issue with not Idling quite the right way but never anything big. insight, advice,suggestions .... I'm all ears .
the fuel filter & pump both from Autozone pump is a Delphi and filter is duralast.. So your pretty sure its not an issue with the IACV ? Could It also be throttle position sensor possibly ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NinaRossi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
NinaRossi

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Yes, do try cleaning your throttle body first. My initial guess is the iacv is either sticking or faulty. A cleaning will help and then if the iacv still acts up, there's a simple test to perform to see if the iacv is faulty. The iacv controls idle rpm by adding and subtracting supplemental air thru a bypass air port in front of the throttle plate that's almost closed. The pcm controls how much supplemental air is needed for all temperature and load conditions.

Btw, was the original coolant sensor ever replaced with the flat nosed brass one?
Yeah the iacv and or throttle body was my first guess.. and I dont ever recall replacing Coolant sensor so lm assuming its still Original.. Is it something that should be replaced? & does it relate to the current issues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
NinaRossi

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
With the poor idling I would also clean the egr.

thank you l Actually did not even think about that.. l will most definitely give that a shot ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It does no harm to remove the throttle body and clean it if it was never cleaned. You have the opportunity to remove the iacv and examine it for cleaning.

Every S-series engine from '91-'01 have the faulty plastic coolant sensor that fails and tends to run the engine rich and/or flood it during starting. It can and has caused more grief than you can imagine - a search will turn up many threads about this sensor failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic-brass cts.jpg (82.6 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
brokendown
brokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL

Ignition system all good I assume? I'm not good at diagnosing random dying but I was having stumbles and sometimes random dying that went away when I replaced my ignition modules.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
ratwhisperer
ratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the roughratwhisperer is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendown View Post
Ignition system all good I assume? I'm not good at diagnosing random dying but I was having stumbles and sometimes random dying that went away when I replaced my ignition modules.
When we first got ours it was doing this and a combo of everything everyone has suggested so far and also changing the plugs and ignition modules cleared it right up and we've been all good ever since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ratwhisperer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ratwhisperer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ratwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaRossi View Post
the fuel filter & pump both from Autozone pump is a Delphi and filter is duralast.. So your pretty sure its not an issue with the IACV ? Could It also be throttle position sensor possibly ?
Plugs, Wires, Dirty throttle body. Then ICM, Coils, ICM connector. The ECTS is a given and carefully inspect the connecting wiring between the ECTS connector and the main lom for any splices that are NOT soldered, NO crimp connectors!

That fuel filter will eventually be a major problem when all depends but it will fail. The only proper filter/regulator for a 98 and newer S-Series Saturn is a OEM original(expensive) or a WIX 33731 and the WIX can be ordered from RockAuto using that part number. http://www.rockauto.com

ECTS and clean throttle body. Neither the IAC valve or the TPS will cause the car to stall out every time you come to a stop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

If none of the above help you might try blocking your EGR valve.

Highmile
'95 SL1 591k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote