SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Default High mileage check-in

So, I just thought I'd touch base with folks here. My 2008 xe 5 door now has 283000km on it. I've had it since new and it's still ticking along pretty well. Handling is still at least as good as most other cars I get in and everything pretty much still works as is.

One notable exception is that I had an ABS Sensor die about a month ago. Shop teacher at school (I'm a highschool teacher) investigated and said that a whole big assembly had to be replaced to the tune of around $600, I opted to not bother.

Car is still consistently returning almost exactly 7L/100km at highway speed (110km/h or so) and slightly better than that when I drive on 80km/h roads (around 90-95km/h) although the mileage is significantly impacted during winter driving (I've got snows on it during that time too).

At this point, I figure it owes me exactly nothing, I'll keep driving until it absolutely dies, but it's been a wonderful car overall. It's got some rust down around the very bottom of the body, but at this point, it's all just superficial. I've never rustproofed it, and frankly, I think I've washed it a total of MAYBE 3 times in its entire existence (not kidding, I just can't stand washing cars)

Love to hear how other high milers are fairing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
AstraPilot
AstraPilot has a spectacular aura aboutAstraPilot has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: High mileage check-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody123 View Post
So, I just thought I'd touch base with folks here. My 2008 xe 5 door now has 283000km on it. I've had it since new and it's still ticking along pretty well. Handling is still at least as good as most other cars I get in and everything pretty much still works as is.

One notable exception is that I had an ABS Sensor die about a month ago. Shop teacher at school (I'm a highschool teacher) investigated and said that a whole big assembly had to be replaced to the tune of around $600, I opted to not bother.

Car is still consistently returning almost exactly 7L/100km at highway speed (110km/h or so) and slightly better than that when I drive on 80km/h roads (around 90-95km/h) although the mileage is significantly impacted during winter driving (I've got snows on it during that time too).

At this point, I figure it owes me exactly nothing, I'll keep driving until it absolutely dies, but it's been a wonderful car overall. It's got some rust down around the very bottom of the body, but at this point, it's all just superficial. I've never rustproofed it, and frankly, I think I've washed it a total of MAYBE 3 times in its entire existence (not kidding, I just can't stand washing cars)

Awesome!
Is it manual? Still on the factory clutch or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Any other abnormal repairs? Common issues around here seem to be the A/C compressor, parking brake cables, camshaft solenoid filter thing, and ignition coil pack.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody123 View Post

Nice to hear this....hope it gives you many more dependable years of service. If it were me I'd spring for the new hub assembly. Not only does it give you piece of mind but for some reason the Astras can do weird things if those faults are not addressed (like speedometers going crazy, locking by themselves, etc).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

As to the hub assembly, I don't know just how long I'll end up keeping this thing, haven't really decided yet. I know that the sensor can cause some weird behaviour, I actually had some of that very early on (I've got a post or two on this board specifically about this).

I haven't had any of the issues mentioned here, the only peculiar thing that I've had to deal with is wiring harness to both the drivers door as well as one of the rear passenger doors. Expensive touch, if memory serves, somewhere around $600 I think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Camdie
Camdie is on a distinguished road

My 2008 5-speed manual Saturn Astra is now at 210,000 miles. ABS sensor has been out for the last 65,000 miles. Lost one heat shield. Check engine light has been on since around 80,000 miles. Still getting around 31 MPG.
Muffler is in need of replacement. I'll drive this thing until she dies. Best overall dependable car I've ever owned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Camdie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Camdie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Camdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Get a hub assembly from a scrap yard. Not really an issue of it being an unreliable part. My sensor went out when I hit a bad pothole and did some damage. Picked up a hub assembly for 60$ off a wrecked astra with less than 5000 kms. Most stores wanted 500. Madness.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
frankensaturn1
frankensaturn1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

400,000 mile Check in on 1997 Sl 5 SPD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankensaturn1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankensaturn1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankensaturn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankensaturn1 View Post
400,000 mile Check in on 1997 Sl 5 SPD
Ummm congrats but thats not an Astra

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 140,000 km
2018 Chevy Traverse Redline 52,000 km

Past vehicles:

2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - Sold
2008 Saturn Outlook XR 280,000 km - Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I was super impressed for about 3 seconds

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #11
scarletsandgrey
scarletsandgrey is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XE

Good to read. I wondering how my investment will pay-off in the end.

I'm curious too on the clutch....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scarletsandgrey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scarletsandgrey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scarletsandgrey is offline   Reply With Quote