SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
cheapo
cheapo is on a distinguished road

Default Trouble on the horizon?

Good day all,

I have a 2001 SL 1 1.9L sohc and just experienced an issue that worries me. Came out from the store and my car wouldn't start. Starter wasn't even trying to turn over. Checked connections, all good. On a hunch I tried starting it in N instead of P, and it fired right up. Haven't had an issue since, but is this a warning sign I need to replace my neutral safEty switch? Also, where would the culprit be located on the vehicle?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheapo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheapo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Trouble on the horizon?

Replace your starter I seriously doubt it's the safety switch

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ What he said. ^

If you are not familiar with wear and tear when a starter fails, you're left to begin the suggested methods to determine whether a starter is worn out or not; ensuring the (a) battery is in good working condition (store testing if necessary), examining both battery cables for terminal corrosion that can prevent starters from drawing large current (50-150+ amps), and the two main ground connections - chassis and engine block mounting studs for corrosion preventing starter power. Eliminating these possibilities narrows it down to either a starting circuit or worn out starter. Worn starters are more likely than starting circuit problems.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
cheapo
cheapo is on a distinguished road

I was wondering about the starter, but to me it doesn't explain why it would start in neutral as opposed to park. The starter wasn't even clicking at all (which would be a MASSIVE sign), and usually if your starter/solenoid goes it doesn't come back. Once its dead its dead. This case it started fine in Park 15 min later. Can you go into more detail why you are assuming the starter? I need to do more diagnostics I know, but would like to avoid paying $$150.00 plus tax and it not be the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheapo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheapo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Could've been random; it may have hit that time when it was in Park or Neutral...

Starters are that way; if they fail, keep trying until it hits or go bang on it & try it.

It'll need replacing soon as you don't want to keep relying on that.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Not to mention a starter is only $50 shipped from http://www.dbelectrical.com

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
I was wondering about the starter, but to me it doesn't explain why it would start in neutral as opposed to park. The starter wasn't even clicking at all (which would be a MASSIVE sign), and usually if your starter/solenoid goes it doesn't come back. Once its dead its dead. This case it started fine in Park 15 min later. Can you go into more detail why you are assuming the starter? I need to do more diagnostics I know, but would like to avoid paying $$150.00 plus tax and it not be the problem.
I'm not assuming anything. The detailed troubleshooting procedures given is a good way to methodically troubleshoot and isolate a battery/battery/cable/connections/ground issues where each one can cause the same no starter condition, randomly. Unless you are an expert on auto diagnostic procedures, the suggestions are just that, suggestions.

Are you able to troubleshoot a starting circuit? That's the wiring from ignition switch-to-Park/Neutral safety switch-to-fuse panel-to starter solenoid..........

There's more to offer but you seem to question suggestions already given and would give the impression that they're not worth the trouble. Its always your choice to do whatever you feel is correct, right or wrong. No one is strong arming you to do anything.

Starters do not fail in one fashion as you presume. Until you take the time to read past threads about many members here posting more about random starting issues that are all starter failures in the the end, you're under the wrong impression. Starters are known to fail only when the engine's HOT, cold, working one moment and failing to work next, and whether banging on it to get it to run one or several times until it becomes obvious its worn out.

Some hints for you to determine how starters fail; the two main brushes, the starter solenoid, the two large electrical contacts inside every starter solenoid.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Listen to fdryer. The duck knows what he is saying.

I went two months on a bad starter because I was between income sources. I just kept my breaker bar with me and I'd pop the hood, thread it down and tap the starter. That helped it last just long enough til I could cough up $50.

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Here ya go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-St...item1c3ceceb74 Brand new, they work WAY better than any rebuilt I have ever bought from a store too and cheap.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

Had a similar problem with my 99 SC2. Was able to turn the key in ignition but starter wouldn't engage, yet shifting to neutral the starter worked fine. Stopped at my mechanic's shop on way home. He looked at both my keys. He said they're both worn and suggested I take my V.I.N. (vehicle identification number) to a Chevrolet Parts Department and they'd cut a new key.

Aside note: sometimes my key would turn the ignition and nothing happened, yet if I jiggled the key in the ignition the starter would engage. I have the original starter; its been starting the engine for 14 years.

How old is the key you're inserting into the ignition? The ridges on the key may be worn enough that sometimes the tumbler in the ignition doesn't catch.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote