SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Speaker improvements?

Today my drivers door speaker starting vibrating because the screws worked their way loose. This weekend or sometime soon I'm going to take the panel off and re-tighten the screws (Using loctite this time).

My question is, would adding a homemade rubber "gasket" around the rim of the speaker where it attaches to the door to help prevent future vibrations be worth the time it would take to make?

Also, is there any modification I could do to the speaker/door to improve bass response? The bass isn't horrible right now but I was unsure if trying to make a baffle or box of sorts would help or hurt the sound quality. The speakers are just some Wal-mart generics my father had around the garage.

Thanks everyone.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1
Default Re: Speaker improvements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
My question is, would adding a homemade rubber "gasket" around the rim of the speaker where it attaches to the door to help prevent future vibrations be worth the time it would take to make?
For my old '98 SL2, I tried cutting some gaskets out of old mouse pads. This worked great at first, but the foam got hard and crumbly after the first winter. So I installed XTC baffles instead:

http://www.amazon.com/XTC-2-Inch-Foa.../dp/B0002ZPNXW

The baffles have a lip that fits between the speaker base and the door metal. This eliminated all buzzing and rattling for as long as I had the car. The bass is very clean with the baffles; however, it doesn't "hit" as hard because the baffle keeps the door from acting as a resonant chamber (not like a 6.5" speaker is going to hit very hard anyway). I listen mainly to rock and pop, so I was happy with this.

The baffles also keep water out of your speakers, but they protrude so far back that they rub on the window when you roll it all the way down.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
For my old '98 SL2, I tried cutting some gaskets out of old mouse pads. This worked great at first, but the foam got hard and crumbly after the first winter.
I was thinking of using rubber from the small pile of old tires my dad has.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
racinginblood
racinginblood will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

get rid of the factory crap speakes get some cheap cruthfield speakers silcone with machine self tapping screws never vibrate again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinginblood View Post
get rid of the factory crap speakes get some cheap cruthfield speakers silcone with machine self tapping screws never vibrate again
The factory speakers are long gone, it's got some walmart generics in it now.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Just replace them, any inexpensive speaker will sound better than a blown one. The paper cones and surrounds on the factory speakers dry out and disintegrate over time.

I tried the baffles once but they softened the bass response so ended up taking them out.

You can also put a small strip of weatherstripping (used for doors or windows) to make a ring following the speaker cutout. That can reduce vibration and improve sound when installing your replacements. Also using self tapping sheet medal screws to mount the speakers works well in the doors if you are very careful.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

I'm not replacing the speakers as they aren't blown. The drivers side has simply worked itself slightly loose and starting buzzing on the door.

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
I'm not replacing the speakers as they aren't blown. The drivers side has simply worked itself slightly loose and starting buzzing on the door.
OK, that clears thing up as does rereading your original post.

I still recommend the weatherstripping and self tapping sheet metal screws (D'oh, spelled wrong in my last post) for the door speakers.

If you use the weather stripping foam, just be aware that it can reduce the clearance with the interior door panel so use a thinner foam to make the seal. If it is too thick, it will cause the speaker to contact the interior panel and introduce more buzzing noise. Not much bass from 6.5 or 6.75 inch speakers but sealing the air between the front and back should help with the bass response. As the sound waves mix between the front and back of the mounting point, they can cancel out and reduce the sound quality. Also check the polarity of all the speakers. If they are mixed up, this can cause the speakers to be out of phase and again the sound waves can cancel out. The phase issue is usually just an issue with subs and timing compared to the other speakers but can effect any speaker as well if wired wrong. Also if the polarity is wrong the speakers will usually have a flatter sound.

Hope this helps, Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
choc citysaturn
choc citysaturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

To improve the bass response of your door speakers dynAmat and dynAline the door frame, grab the plastic version of those xtc baffles, cut one in half, cut out the back portion and install in the speaker opening. That layer of dynAmat and dynAliner is enough to keep the baffle off of the window. Next get some cutting board and cut out some speaker rings. The cutting board I got got was 3/8" thick and posed no problems hitting the backside of the door grill. I used the nuts and bolts that came with the speakers. Now mind you I have done much more to the doors but if you do it this way you will be very happy with the bass response.

My number one goal is to make my saturn better now than when I bought it in Dec of 1993. IMPORT FIGHTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to choc citysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help choc citysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
choc citysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SC2

All the recommendations seem to have merit. My 99 SC2 stock speakers have started to vibrate, primarily the rear window shelf speakers. I don't notice the door speakers vibrating yet, but when I take corrective measures with the rear speakers I should address the door speakers too.

<<1999 Saturn SC2 4 speed automatic. 262,658 (as of: 2014AUG29), low comp cyl#3, parked, use emergency trans. only; 2001 Saturn SC2 5 gear manual. < 127K mi, purch May 2014. Great MPG!>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Need 16 of these buggers: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ext...e_p/a12669.htm

And the accompanying bolts. You can get away with 8 and use 8 cheaper normal nuts on the rear speakers, use those ones on the front speakers., if you want to goto your local hardware store rather than order online...mine appears to want 55cents each for them (if I read the right section on the box they had).

You can probably find that "extruded u nut" with a standard thread, rather than metric, and save a bundle of money on standard bolts. Somehow thread pattern means metric is worth gold while standard is worth crap.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote