SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Strobing Third brake light

Check out this Richpin video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBilxVmZijU

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
StephenRM
StephenRM is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Strobing Third brake light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
Check out this Richpin video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBilxVmZijU
Cool, looks like a simple and easy modification. I like the override switch idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StephenRM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StephenRM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StephenRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: Strobing Third brake light

Is that even street legal???

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
There is or was talk of it being mandated on all new cars soon. It will work nicely until every car starts doing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Thats a great question. Probably a state-to-state thing.

I have installed a similar kit onto my son's motorcyle brake light. Similar kits have proven to improve (motorcyle) visibility to a large degree. At least on a bike, I will gladly take a ticket for the added safety factor. (FYI)I have been rear-ended while riding a motorcyle. NO FUN!

I suspect that why he wired in the override switch. If you end up with a cop behind you, just flip the stobe to off.

*I wish he showed a little more detail on how he wired the override. I am guessing he used a 3-way switch, so power goes through the module when "on" and goes around it, straight to the lights when "off".

In any case... I am sold. I will probably order a few of these for our fleet of cars.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
... It will work nicely until every car starts doing it.
I am a little more optimistic on this! This is just technology taking advantage of biology. The flashing strobe is +10x more likely to be noticed by your peripheral vision.

I don't think most rear-ends happen because drivers ignore a stopping driver. they happen because their focussed vision has been drawn away (on purpose or not), and the standard brake light has not done enough to alert them of the danger. The strobe can improve this!

These are going to save more lives that traffic cameras!!

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

I've been rear-ended on a bicycle once. Thankfully, it was at a low speed.

This makes total sense though. Mercedes had a car (I think the S-class) that would strobe the taillights under panic braking, but they had to get a permit from the US government (according to Popular Science).

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I thought 2nd gens had a larger 3rd brake light than that mini thing, it's hardly larger than my '96's. My point being...why flash/strobe the smallest light when the larger ones would be more effective?

I'd think you'd be fine with the "100A" that flash's a couple times then stops, the "100B" that continuously flash's would be far more likely to cause legal issues.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I would think it would fail inspection when the garage checks all the lights for functionality and sees the light blinking in the rear there going to tell the owner that theres a problem with the 3rd brake light and fail it, The override switch is a nice feature however my opinion is with the light flashing it will be more likely to cause a distraction on the road in traffic and could cause an accident, If that were to happen the police are going to look under the inspection sticker for the signature of the tech that inspected the car and go after them for passing it, Its not good for the owner of the car and the garage they got their car inspected at. Im sure on the fine print of that module it says legal for off road use only.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I have lived all over the place and have only had one localle where vehicle inspections were done. ...And that would be easily dealt with by integrating the bypass switch.

I have not seen any evidence to suggest the initial strobe (like the 100B) creates any hazard, and there has been some good indicators that they work well to prevent rear-end collisions.

Plenty of newer cars have sequetial tail lights that are not causing issue with safety. I don't see any real downside, as long as the install is done correctly and does no lead to a short.

I now at least 2 other (motorcycle) riders who have been rear-ended by distracted drivers. In my case, it was LONG before texting, so don't even go there! This is a pet peeve of mine! I would like to slap the crap out of idiot tail-gaters and aggressive drivers risking the lives of everyone in front of them.

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

I've seen these kind of things on motorcycles and while my eye may have been drawn to it, I was also thinking "why is that guy tapping his brakes like that?". Now a car has more brake lights than a motorcycle but I think the same issue would apply (even though there are other lights that are on constant).

The strobe needs to a fast blinker and then stay on, the fast -> slow -> on method I think would be distracting. I think the best method would be the fast strobe for a little longer time frame, thus drawing the other drivers' eye to the fact that you are braking but not distracting them with a Disney World quality light show...

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Simplified versions of these are in pretty wide use in a lot of emergency and service vehicles. All our ambulances and a lot of City-owned service trucks have LED brake lights that flash very quickly about three times, then stay on steady. Def. attention-getting, and evidently perfectly legal here. The two slow blinks on Richpin's version are annoying.

And I'm sure the effect will be diminished the more these kinds of lights are in use. Diminished, but not completely lost. The industry and driving community went through the same cycle starting in '86, when center stop lights became mandatory on passenger cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote