SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default SRS Airbag light on B1001 code & code reader

I thought I would start a new thread on this topic...

First, the OTC 9450 was able to read my air bag codes. This was less than $100 on amazon. Be sure to select Domestic and Truck (not car) for the vue.

So, it came up with a B1001 code.

I also ordered a set of vue FSMs and they arrived the other day. Here are the pages on the B1001:

My question is that I already replaced the Sensing & Diagnostic Module (SDM) with one from a junkyard Vue with the same numbers on it. Is the B1001 indicating a faulty SDM?

I also had a service wrench light that seemed to be fixed when I replaced the SDM.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: SRS Airbag light on B1001 code & code reader

Are you presuming your OTC is the scan tool the FSM mentions when making changes to the bcm? The scan tool mentioned in the FSM is GM's Tech II, not any other scan tool unless it has the same capabilities to change ecm/pcm/bcm/tcm parameters.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I'm encouraged that ShawnV found a reasonably priced code reader to read "B" codes. IMO this is a significant step forward for DIY'ers.

I'm curious if the reader indicates which of the various OBD protocols is being used when B-codes are visible.

I'm also wondering if the reader will capture VIN's stored in the BCM. My "P" reader provides VIN's stored in a 3.5 PCM but does so using KWPF which appears to bypass the BCM data connection.

Back to the basic causes of B1001 ... here's a paste from GM service manual (look familiar?):

The restraints ID that is stored in the SDM does not match the restraints ID that is stored in the BCM or the VIN information that is stored in the SDM does not match the VIN information that is stored in the BCM.

The interesting aspect of this blurb is I've yet to find steps required to change (program) a VIN stored in SDM.

I'm thinking the VIN and SDM comment could be a mistake - or programming was added after my manual was released. I'll be taking a peek at revisions and edits to see.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its my understanding that "scan tool" use in GM service manuals assume these manuals are written for GM service technicians using GM's Tech II to service the GM family of cars, trucks, and suv's. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I've always presumed this to be as no one has been able to perform programming, update firmware, and other customized functions exclusive to GM systems requiring their proprietary software/firmware in Tech II equipment. The most that are done to my limited knowledge are all the commercial scan tools repair shops use and pay a hefty price for access to troubleshooting at a deeper level than what's used by the average DIYer. These commercial units only have the ability to manipulate a sensor like turn on the evap solenoid to check on wiring and solenoid operation that generic readers cannot do for their relatively low cost. RobertGary1(?) has posted of a scan tool he uses that does allow him to do something similar but not program, update, change VIN info. My OBDLink reads VIN info and stops there, no capability other than data logging and ability to customize all the available screen displays to tailor live displays for me. No programming ability to change ecm/bcm/ABS/tcm parameters. The same for commercial scan tools except the ability to test sensors, signaling, and wiring for advanced troubleshooting but no actual programming to change VIN, ABS, airbag data. I believe that's how GM/Ford/Chrysler/VW/etc. are able to keep and maintain control access to emissions parameters for everyone with serious hacking skills. I've yet to see anyone post info on anyone making the equivalent of a knock off Tech II scan tool. Simply buying a Tech II and paying as a dealer for acce$$ to GM's network would probably allow full access to program capabilities but that's a tall order. No one here on Saturnfans has acquired this ability yet. At least not publicly. The added online network connection may also be another barrier to accessing information by compartmentalizing.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 11-06-2013 at 05:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I don't want to confuse (or speak for) ShawnV - I'm pleased he found an inexpensive reader that captures "B" codes ... so much so that I just ordered one from ebay.

I didn't get the impression he intends to program anything - and I sure didn't want to imply he could program VIN in either BCM or SDM - I was interested in knowing if the code reader could retrieve those numbers.

So many members complain of having to visit a dealer when the service vehicle soon (SVS) light appears. The light can be caused by many circuits, including but not limited to - an open lighting circuit, open horn circuit, or perhaps any one of four ABS wheel speed sensors circuits.

I'll do a bit of experimenting when my reader arrives and will be in a better position to praise or condemn.

I vaguely recall the post by RobertGary1 and am thinking he had a top-notch reader. And for some reason the number 500 -or so - sticks in my mind.

He will surely weigh-in if he happens upon this thread.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I too wish I had the most inexpensive scan tool to match GM's scan tool but that's just a dream. I believe ShawnV is interested in determining whether or not the replacement sdm is a working unit or not and may be confused about the error code. Add to this a desire to change parameters in ecm/pcm/bcm and the clarification of "scan tool" was brought up. I would like to think he bought a valid sdm but has no way to alter VIN data without GM's scan tool. I too would have to consider an ABS reader if I have error codes that my OBDLink cannot decode. What I think is occurring is the market place being flooded with many scan tools, making it a buyers market. It would be great if the smart ones are trying to bundle a one tool does all, just like GM's scan tool...........

Unfortunately, a scan tool is not a scan tool and confusion about them isn't new.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 11-06-2013 at 06:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

fdryer -
This is just a code reader. I had posted a previous thread asking if anyone knew of a reader that would pull SRS codes... No one said anything, so I found this OTC. I had searched and searched the vue forum for a code reader that would pull SRS codes, but found nothing!! This is why I posted about the 9450 and why F2G was so interested.

The scan tool that the FSM is talking about is the gm tool, which is something like thousands of dollars. I won't be reprogramming anything with a code reader.

From what I understand from the FSM is that the SDM and the BCM don't have the same VIN programmed in them and I need to take it to the dealer to get this resolved.

Far2Grumpy -
Send me your paypal address and your new code reader is on me!
I am also interested in a code reader that will pull service wrench codes for the VUE. I have an Innova code reader that will pull service wrench codes for the S-series, but not the vue! ARGG!

Do you all concur that I need to take this to the dealer? I also thought about plugging the old SDM in and pulling whatever code it threw to see what the better route might be.

The 9450 also pulled a U1000 code, which I could not find after a cursory look in the FSM.

Any ideas on that one?

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Shawn ... don't dare pay me for the reader - missus puts enough in my PP account each year and I'm actually behind power-curve for spending this year.

See the attached extract - does a decent job of explaining U1000 and let me know if you'd like to see any of documents referenced in this one.

Its also true you should isolate any U-code before going on to others - such as B1001.

The 03 Vue procedures didn't make much sense when it mentioned the SDM having a VIN with no programming instructions - so mentioning a VIN could be a mistake. I'll attach a thumbnail from 07 Vue manual which indicates BCM examines SDM part number and nothing else.

Now - there could be significant differences in the SDM functions for the newer Vue - one I know for certain is starting with 06 Vue the front passenger seat has a passenger presence sensing system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCM-SDM Program.jpg (129.2 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTC U1000.pdf (34.5 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the original sdm didn't deploy an airbag then its usable. If it did deploy an airbag, there's a convoluted explanation in service manuals stating they're replaced. Its sent to a place that resets it and clears the history logged during an airbag event, similar to flight data recorders. GM uses it for their many reasons while insurance companies use it for a database. The little research I did found a little trail ending at either third party places that service them or the manufacturer that keeps info secret. Once used to deploy an airbag, the sdm sets a code disallowing reuse until reset by the magic company. I'm not clear on VIN matching except possibly to track sdm's accurately to a vehicle.

I read service manual procedures about sdm's/airbag deployment and my take on it is as described. When a sdm is replaced, GM's Tech II is used to program the VIN into the replacement.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

the bcm needs to have the primary key for the sdm from the j/y reset after the newer sdm is programed..if it can be.. some of the older ones were 1 shot only don't remeber the years they were..i also don't know if swapping the old one will get you anywhere as the bcm has already seen a different vin than the old sdm had and although it might see the origanal vin it might not recognize anymore due to the code for a non matching vin/no vin stored..i di know that a new sdm will set a code for no vin or wrong vin stored.. and you will get nowhere untill it is programmed.. if i were to try the old sdm for codes i would disconnect the batt and wait 5 mineits install old sdm and see what the code reader says the code is.. hth..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

u1000 is a genric loss of com with 1 module usulay stored in all the modules that didn't see the bad one so for instance in older gm class 2 if the ebcm dropped out i would expect to see a u1000 in all modules but the ebcm.. in theroy that was how it was supposed to work.. not always the case.. thoses codes will set if com is lost for a millisecond on key up and sometimes can be a bear to find.. that said.. as a fulltime gm tech i get find that 99% of the cars i see have u codes in them and that includes new model year cars and trucks... unless the mod is dark(missing power/ground,or a comm line )i wouldant worry about it and would go after a b code instead.. also mods will set u1000 if you unplug a mod while the key is up or before the rap prelay has timed out and the modules go to sleep...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
ShawnV
Master Member

2000 SW2

I swapped the old SDM back in the car and the code reader couldn't even communicate with it. It also threw the service wrench light back on....

So I placed the new one back in the car and am at the same spot. I think I can either ignore this or try taking it to the dealer for the reprogramming option.

What do you all think?

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!