SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Janitor Tzap
Janitor Tzap is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default The Spare Tire?

Hello everyone, this is my first posting here.

Well, too the point.

I purchased a 2002 SL1 Sedan 1.9L SOHC, 171K mile on it.
It was owned by some poor college student before I became it's owner,
and she didn't do hardly any maintenance on the poor thing.

So, I have spent the past few months repairing leaks, replacing broken parts, etc.....

I decided to look in the manual and see if I could replace the rubber doughtnut with a standard tire.
It didn't say I could or couldn't, So I decided to give it a try.
The car currently has 185/65/R14's on it.
So, I stopped in at the local Auto Recycler, and got a Rim & Tire the same size.
Only now I'm finding that the spare tire well is about an 1/2" inch to small, for it to fit.

I have looked at the underside of the car to see if I can pound the spare tire well out, without causing a problem, and from what I found.
The left side of the spare tire well has plenty of clearance.
But the right side of the spare tire well is up against the muffler.

Has anyone modified the spare tire well so it can take a full size spare tire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Janitor Tzap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Janitor Tzap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Janitor Tzap is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: The Spare Tire?

It will not fit forget it. Enter spare tire into the search box in the top center of this page and you will find many solutions that fit for example, http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159656 You can also search for donut spare and get even more info. You have many choices as to what to do without trying to beat up the body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Here's one you'll never see:

^Keep some CO2 inflator cartridges in the trunk to pop it back into shape.
I also have Fix-A-Flat handy.

You wanna keep it full, you wanna' keep it big
Beats thumbin' a ride, beats bummin' a cig, hey
Just ask for mercy and praise the Lord
Crucifixx-a-flatt that' what it's for, hey

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

id keep the small spare. nothing wrong with those. they can go for a long way if needed. wish i had one in my 2013 optima.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Janitor Tzap

2002 SL1

OldNuc,

I saw the post by ShawnV,
and how he was able to get a 175/65/14 in to his Saturn.

After much CAREFUL pounding with a Wood & Cloth covered block.
Plus, a large rubber mallet.

I am now able to get the spare into the well.
But like ShawnV, I have to move the Jack & Handle.
I found, that I can place them inside, underneath the tire,
without much trouble.

But now I need to replace the hold down hook.
The Old one is 2 - 3 inches to short too allow for the locking washer, nuts,
and cover cup.

Well, I'll go to the local Auto Recycler, and see if I can find a longer one off another car.

Thanks for your replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Janitor Tzap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Here's one you'll never see:
LOL!? That looks like a perfectly good Blizzak snow tire? After storing it, squared away like that, in the spare tire hole, wouldn't it run with flat spots on it after inflation? Shrinking a tire and squeezing it into a smaller donut space is one thing but the tire may retain its square shape until its run a few miles...............to let the shrunken portions swell out. Four little bumps on every tire revolution........

A winter flat and using this frozen spare may be sketchy. Which is better, this over sized spare or carrying a heavy duty plug tool, a few tire plugs and a small air pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spare.jpg (92.7 KB, 9 views)

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Janitor Tzap

2002 SL1

Update:

I Modified the Tire Hold Down Hook by getting a 8mm Turnbuckle, 2 8mm Nuts, and a 6"inch long 8mm threaded rod.

Cut 1" inch off the Tire Hold Down Hook, and cut the threaded rod down too 4" inches long.

Then I threaded the Tire Hold Down Hook, and threaded rod together with the Turnbuckle, adjusted the length, then used the nuts to keep it from loosening up, by tightening them up against the Turnbuckle.

It ain't pretty, but it does the job.

As for bumpdraft's Squared Tire idea........

As few have pointed out, the tire could develop Flat Spots.
But I see a more serious problem.
Your damaging the Bead on the tire.
Thus, even if you have CO2 inflator cartridges, and Fix A Flat.
If the tire won't seal against the rim, your screwed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
LOL!? That looks like a perfectly good Blizzak snow tire? After storing it, squared away like that, in the spare tire hole, wouldn't it run with flat spots on it after inflation? Shrinking a tire and squeezing it into a smaller donut space is one thing but the tire may retain its square shape until its run a few miles...............to let the shrunken portions swell out. Four little bumps on every tire revolution........

A winter flat and using this frozen spare may be sketchy. Which is better, this over sized spare or carrying a heavy duty plug tool, a few tire plugs and a small air pump.
I was only pulling out moist air last summer. Had it sitting in the sun too hot to touch and put a vacuum pump on it trying to get the vapor out. Filled it with N2

The idea was, if it is close, just let out some air and fill it with inflator cartridges when needed. Maybe for a long trip. Long term storage might not be a good idea.

And they are good tires! They were round when new and they are staying round without any help from me.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ I know they're round. ^ But not the way you displayed it for everyone's enjoyment.

Its just one of those perfect pictures that stands out whether its right or wrong and I enjoy the visual joke as it was presented. Along the lines of "putting square peg in a round hole" way but stuffing a deflated oversized square spare tire into a small round hole where the smaller spare was supposed to be..........

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: The Spare Tire?

If it's not fitting by only half an inch as the OP said, try using a ratchet hold down strap around the perimeter of the tread to compress the tire a little. It shouldn't be any more stressful on the tread belts than collapsing it with a vacuum pump and has the added advantage of keeping the bead seated when re-inflating it should you ever need to.

Personally, I have stopped carrying around a spare to save a little weight and carry a large (pickup truck tire) canister of fix-a-flat instead. A lot of new cars are going that way now in fact.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Tzap View Post
OldNuc,

I saw the post by ShawnV,
and how he was able to get a 175/65/14 in to his Saturn.

After much CAREFUL pounding with a Wood & Cloth covered block.
Plus, a large rubber mallet.

I am now able to get the spare into the well.
But like ShawnV, I have to move the Jack & Handle.
I found, that I can place them inside, underneath the tire,
without much trouble.

But now I need to replace the hold down hook.
The Old one is 2 - 3 inches to short too allow for the locking washer, nuts,
and cover cup.

Well, I'll go to the local Auto Recycler, and see if I can find a longer one off another car.

Thanks for your replies.
Is there a link to Shawn's post?

Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote