SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Here i go with the rant.

At the risk of becoming public enemy # 1 i got to say why is it that the Astra seems to be labeled "slow" Yet other cars of VERY similar performance in the 0 to 60 times are called "peppy" or "adequate" and " respectable"
Civic LX ,1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 140 horsepower and 128 pound-feet of torque runs around 9.4 seconds and is always labeled in the reviews i read "adequate" .How about the 2008 Mazda 3 Grand Touring
It is making 156 HP and runs zero to sixty in 8.5 .How about the 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium ,makes 170 hp and manages a 9.5 zero to sixty.So i being one to compare apples to apples I see the Astra times being right in line with the other cars in its class.Yes your right our Astras 16.6 quarter and 8.6 sixty times are not "super performance" but compared to the normal car it is not what one would call slow.I read about other cars in the same performance band and it totally erks me when i see words like"peppy" or " adequate" and then i read the Astra and see it being labeled as sluggish or slow.Sorry but i have driven a 2001 corvette, i have a 300hp turbo car,plus driven a lot of other cars and i don't find my Astra frustrating .It does the job well enough.I have passed with it and believe me i have also driven it a few times like there was no tomorrow and i have no complaints about its performance.I like many other gear heads would gladly like more HP but for a daily driver it performs without fuss and lag for me.To me it seems like it is unfairly judged.You cant deny that the numbers for a lot of other cars with the same HP give or take, is performing the same or in some cases worse or a bit better, not blowing the Astra away .To me the Astra is a respectable performer for its 138 hp.Thats my rant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Here i go with the rant.

I'm with you.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Alman
Alman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRLad View Post
At the risk of becoming public enemy # 1 i got to say why is it that the Astra seems to be labeled "slow" Yet other cars of VERY similar performance in the 0 to 60 times are called "peppy" or "adequate" and " respectable"
Civic LX ,1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 140 horsepower and 128 pound-feet of torque runs around 9.4 seconds and is always labeled in the reviews i read "adequate" .How about the 2008 Mazda 3 Grand Touring
It is making 156 HP and runs zero to sixty in 8.5 .How about the 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium ,makes 170 hp and manages a 9.5 zero to sixty.So i being one to compare apples to apples I see the Astra times being right in line with the other cars in its class.Yes your right our Astras 16.6 quarter and 8.6 sixty times are not "super performance" but compared to the normal car it is not what one would call slow.I read about other cars in the same performance band and it totally erks me when i see words like"peppy" or " adequate" and then i read the Astra and see it being labeled as sluggish or slow.Sorry but i have driven a 2001 corvette, i have a 300hp turbo car,plus driven a lot of other cars and i don't find my Astra frustrating .It does the job well enough.I have passed with it and believe me i have also driven it a few times like there was no tomorrow and i have no complaints about its performance.I like many other gear heads would gladly like more HP but for a daily driver it performs without fuss and lag for me.To me it seems like it is unfairly judged.You cant deny that the numbers for a lot of other cars with the same HP give or take, is performing the same or in some cases worse or a bit better, not blowing the Astra away .To me the Astra is a respectable performer for its 138 hp.Thats my rant.
I really feel some people are hard on this car because it's a GM car trying to play in the Japanese compact sand box. I've seen the same reviewers bash this car for certain features and then write the same thing off as "not a big" deal on it's competition. I've stopped reading reviews and stopped worrying about what others think...I love my car and have not major complaints that i haven't already addressed or will be addressing in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The looks and MRSP of the car suggest more hp is available. If it looked like an economy car and the MSRP reflected what they actually sell for I think the reviewers might be less harsh.

But you made an excellent point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Alman
Alman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
The looks and MRSP of the car suggest more hp is available. If it looked like an economy car and the MSRP reflected what they actually sell for I think the reviewers might be less harsh.

But you made an excellent point.
The MSRP is a bit high I will say....but i don't believe the "look" is a factor..Considering the mazda 3 looks like pretty sporty vehicle and has similar power numbers and handling that is slightly less impressive than the Astra, but still gets it's performance rated as adequte. I'm more likely to believe that for the price reviewers think there should be more umph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
jblarsen
jblarsen is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I feel like if you drive the Astra hard it seems "peppy" but if you drive it conservatively it seems sluggish. It seems that you have the press the gas pedal down to hard to make it go fast.

The Astra is kind of like a horse I had way back when named Pokey. You had to kick him real hard multiple times to get him going, but when he got going he could keep up with the other horses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jblarsen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jblarsen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jblarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

two factors at play. MSRP is that of more powerful cars, and we got only one motor.

the MSRP issue is not GMs fault - cant control the exchange rate. but it did come in at a few grand more than the noted competition, so dollar for dollar it was a little slow.

then there is the motor. since the car was available in europe for a number of years, and there are a plethora of choices in powerplant, the enthusiast magazines commented that the powerplant is not as capable as the suspension. I agree with that.

however, i didnt buy it for the HP. i too owned 300+ hp cars, 300hp 951s, etc. and when i want power i drive the M3, when i want economy i drive the astra. remember because of altitude i am losing about 25% of my HP, and yesterday at 9500' i lost almost 40% of my HP. thats why my wife drives a twin turbo.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblarsen View Post
I feel like if you drive the Astra hard it seems "peppy" but if you drive it conservatively it seems sluggish. It seems that you have the press the gas pedal down to hard to make it go fast.

The Astra is kind of like a horse I had way back when named Pokey. You had to kick him real hard multiple times to get him going, but when he got going he could keep up with the other horses.
haha now theres an analogy I didnt expect to read It is sorta true tho

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you derestrict the airbox and run a little PVC piping to it the motor feels noticably more peppy.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=137459&page=2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

+1 XRLAD, very true. Also let me add that at around 3,000 lbs the Astra is pretty much the heaviest in it's class, which is better for obvious safety reasons, but has it's toll on 0-60 performance. Even with my automatic, at 30mph and up the VVT does it's job quite well.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
+1 XRLAD, very true. Also let me add that at around 3,000 lbs the Astra is pretty much the heaviest in it's class, which is better for obvious safety reasons, but has it's toll on 0-60 performance. Even with my automatic, at 30mph and up the VVT does it's job quite well.
i dont understand the obvious safety reasons. with CAD programs designing the crumple zones, and all kinds of fancy metals making the crumple zone and safety cage, and airbages galore, the correlation between weight and overall safety is no longer lineal like it once was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblarsen View Post
Im gonna ask the mods to change your screen name to Gumby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:

Real world ......... Firebird Int Raceway 6 passes ASTRA 5sp best run 17.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
i dont understand the obvious safety reasons. with CAD programs designing the crumple zones, and all kinds of fancy metals making the crumple zone and safety cage, and airbages galore, the correlation between weight and overall safety is no longer lineal like it once was.
I believe you meant "linear"?

Mass does have an effect with regards to "vehicle safety". It has to do with inertia and concervation of momentum. If a 4,500 lb Mercedes travelling at 30 mph hits a 3,000 lb Astra head-on going the same speed, the Astra will rebound backwards while the Mercedes might still be carrying some forward momentum. To an occupant inside the Astra, they not only have to decelerate from 30 mph to zero, but then accelerate backwards as well. The extra mass of the Mercedes will dampen the enegry of the impact before transferring it to the occupants, spreading it out over a longer time.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
I believe you meant "linear"?

Mass does have an effect with regards to "vehicle safety". It has to do with inertia and concervation of momentum. If a 4,500 lb Mercedes travelling at 30 mph hits a 3,000 lb Astra head-on going the same speed, the Astra will rebound backwards while the Mercedes might still be carrying some forward momentum. To an occupant inside the Astra, they not only have to decelerate from 30 mph to zero, but then accelerate backwards as well. The extra mass of the Mercedes will dampen the enegry of the impact before transferring it to the occupants, spreading it out over a longer time.
yep, meant linear.

i agree with you, however, a 10% difference in weight between the lightest and heaviest of the cars the OP listed may or may not affect the occupant protection.

all cars meet minimum crash protection standards. is there a difference between a 3,000 lb astra and say a 2,700lb mercedes, saab or BMW? I say heck yeah, and i would much rather be in the 2,700 lb mb, saab, or bmw over the 3,000 lb astra. do you agree?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
bellwilliam
bellwilliam is on a distinguished road

May be becuase it is True ?

I am going to use one publication for all the numbers, Consumer Reports. all are automatic models. mpg is tested MPG.

0-60
Astra - 11 sec, 25MPG
Prius (last gen) - 10.5 sec, 44MPG
Matrix/Vibe 2.4 - 8.3 sec, 27MPG
Matrix/Vibe 1.8 - 10.1 sec, 29MPG
Mazda 3 (last gen) - 9.6 sec, 27MPG
Corolla - 9.9 sec, 32MPG
Civic - 10.1 sec, 28MPG
Focus - 10.1 sec, 26MPG.
Sentra - 9.6 sec, 26MPG
Fit Base - 10.7 sec, 30MPG
Versa - 10.1 sec, 28MPG
Yaris - 10.9 sec, 30MPG
Hyundai Elantra - 10.4 sec, 27MPG

so come again, Astra is fast and frugal ? its MSRP is higher than every cars listed (except hybrid), slower 0-60, and lower MPG. It is SLOWER than a 2nd gen Prius (3rd gen Prius is faster still with better MPG). note this is automatic model only, as CR did not test a manual version.

yes it handles better than most and better interior quality. I bought it because of that (and huge discount off MSRP). but I don't dilusion myself.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 07-01-2009 at 11:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bellwilliam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bellwilliam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bellwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:15 AM   #16
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Real world ......... Firebird Int Raceway 6 passes ASTRA 5sp best run 17.6
Really,strange...what was the trap speed ??

No offense bellwilliam but i don't have any faith in Consumers report at all when it comes to testing cars,almost every time i find they cant drive worth you know what as they always seem to be way off the times.Good example the focus every where i read ,say road and track and other ,runs a 9.5 0 to 60 not 10.1.My personal opinion but as i say they are not my choice for reliable numbers.People who test toasters and all else are not true car enthusiasts like road and track, motor trend and other in my book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
May be becuase it is True ?

I am going to use one publication for all the numbers, Consumer Reports. all are automatic models. mpg is tested MPG.

0-60
Astra - 11 sec, 25MPG
Prius (last gen) - 10.5 sec, 44MPG
Matrix/Vibe 2.4 - 8.3 sec, 27MPG
Matrix/Vibe 1.8 - 10.1 sec, 29MPG
Mazda 3 (last gen) - 9.6 sec, 27MPG
Corolla - 9.9 sec, 32MPG
Civic - 10.1 sec, 28MPG
Focus - 10.1 sec, 26MPG.
Sentra - 9.6 sec, 26MPG
Fit Base - 10.7 sec, 30MPG
Versa - 10.1 sec, 28MPG
Yaris - 10.9 sec, 30MPG
Hyundai Elantra - 10.4 sec, 27MPG

so come again, Astra is fast and frugal ? its MSRP is higher than every cars listed (except hybrid), slower 0-60, and lower MPG. It is SLOWER than a 2nd gen Prius (3rd gen Prius is faster still with better MPG). note this is automatic model only, as CR did not test a manual version.

yes it handles better than most and better interior quality. I bought it because of that (and huge discount off MSRP). but I don't dilusion myself.
Jeez, did CR leave the parking brake on when they tested it? Or is the auto just that much slower?

Maybe they were running the A/C

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Tom S2
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

No offense bellwilliam but i don't have any faith in Consumers report at all when it comes to testing cars,almost every time i find they cant drive worth you know what as they always seem to be way off the times.Good example the focus every where i read ,say road and track and other ,runs a 9.5 0 to 60 not 10.1.My personal opinion but as i say they are not my choice for reliable numbers.People who test toasters and all else are not true car enthusiasts like road and track, motor trend and other in my book.
read the differences in the way they are tested. i think R&T does burnouts and takex X amount of runs and then posts the single best run. in reality the average person will not be able to duplicate a R&T time on the street. I think CR takes a more normal time.

then there is the gearing. while they all used R&T may manually shift while CR lets the transmission do it itself. again the CR time is more in line with reality.

Then there is the gearing again. i read in an english magazine some years ago about how they test cars. they do the 0-100 which is 0-62mph. one car was in the lead until it had to upsift at about 58mph. that car was clearly faster than the other car that could go to 63 or 64 before shifting. so in the real world to say 65 mph which is highway speed, the slower car was actually faster. and in the real world, the slower car was faster.

but the fine line between reality and bench racing is often blurred on the web.

the fact that the astra gets so buzzy after a certain RPM that i chose not to push the car, not worth the noise. the competition may or may not get so buzzy. if the competition is faster but buzzier, i think in reality the astra would be quicker. if the competition has a slower motor, but is not as buzzy, and feels better being reveed, in reality it would be a faster car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:

All runs were between .... 80.5-81.5 mph

I posted the runs in the ASTRA forum months ago when a bunch of us were out at the track with a number of SATURNs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
PIIYM
PIIYM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Even though I love the ride of my Astra, I have to say its performance is one of my biggest issues. I really wish I had went with a 5 speed as the automagic in this car is horrible. My last commuter car was a 1.9 TDI VW and I have to say that car felt like it pulled stronger stock ( granted it had 90hp stock and 155ft/lb's) Sometimes I feel like my foot is going to go through the floorboard when I am merging out in traffic.

Id also like to see time slips for any 1/4 mile runs under 17 seconds as id find it hard to believe to be honest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PIIYM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PIIYM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PIIYM is offline   Reply With Quote